First pine needle brew

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

garethw

Settler
Well I was out & about at my fishing lakes today... temps well below zero, so work was cold and not very productive...
To cheer myself up I lit a nice little fire and put a pan on to make a brew... you know as you do. Well instead of the Tetley tea folk bags I had in my pouch I broke off a few pine needles and put them in to stew... in for a penny..!!!!
After the pan boiled, I let it infuse for a few minutes before pouring the potion into my quart cup...
Well actually it was really nice.... now I've seen Ray Mears saying its great.. and others on here saying it tasted like washing up liquid.. but I found it very refreshing.
cheers
Gareth

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Why not experiment.

Maybe try throwing in a normal tea bag into the pot right at the very end, maybe add some sugar, or honey :)

Lovely stuff :)

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
i love the stuff!! nothing better than when youve forgotten to replen your brew kit with tea bags or coffee...infact, nothing better even when you have remembered!! I think the key is in letting it infuse. It is relatively bland if you dont...

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
When I'm feeling fed up with the world I get a piece of the pine branch I keep on my porch for this very reason, brew some pineneedle tea and watch an episode of Ray Mears or Les Straud on youtube.
Try it, it really gets you in a better mood!

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
tearing the bundle of needles helps release the flavour enormously - otherwise they can be a bit bland. We did it on scout camp and the kids loved it.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've had allsorts without any ill effect. I usually leave the needles in as I chop them up to make them infuse better. When you tip the cup up, they stay away from your mouth and most sink to the bottom anyway.

just don't mistakenly use hemlock if you're anywhere that it grows! looks the same but the branches and needles are arranged differently, i believe. i did that once... no ill effects because i made barely any (what would fit in the torn-off bottom half of a discarded - :twak: - 12oz drinks can), but i was lucky, i reckon.

does anyone know which pine/spruce/fir/etc in the UK has a distinct citrusy taste to it? i was just chewing the younger needles, not making tea out of it, but they were REALLY good. would like to find it again and make a brew or six.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE