First Midlands Meet 2008.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
To save members trawling through trying to find the relevant info I'll quote it in this post.

Continuing from this thread: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=362039&posted=1#post362039

Fees: http://www.roughclose.org.uk/attachments/RC Price List 08.pdf (Unfortunately the fees went up from £3.00 to £3.60 per person per night as of 01/01/2008 :( ).

Date: Yet to be decided - Awaiting discussion - What is best for you?

Terms and booking conditions: http://www.roughclose.org.uk/attachments/RC Terms08.pdf . The location we have been using is a Scout County Campsite. Please remember that all those who attend a Meet at this site should be suitable to be around those under the age of 18 (This includes any current allegations or investigations!) - '20. The Scout Association “Young People First” – Child Protection will apply, where Groups or Organisations have none. Copy may be seen in the office.' ...........................

Hi richard,

My apologies for taking so long to respond - I've had problems staying logged in to the site. All BcUK members (and members of their family) are welcome to our Meets.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Is there room for a Newbie?

Hi T1tch,

Of course there is ;) .
Have a quick read through of the thread so far (If you haven't already) to familiarise yourself with what's been posted so far.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The site has changed its booking procedure recently - for some reason you can no longer book online (snailmail = :banghead: ) and it looks like they've removed the ability to phone the site too. Because of these changes and that I know that we're getting close to the start of camping season I'm going to stick the booking form in the post tomorrow.

Please copy and paste and then add yourself to the 'I want to come along to this Meet post' list. Although a fair few have OK'd the w/e of 7-9/03 I'm not going to assume that you were saying that you wanted to come along.

'I want to come along to this Meet post' list:

1) Decorum - possibly +1 - no preferred date - 1 Hammock - 1 Tent

Oct 21, 2006
Birmingham
'I want to come along to this Meet post' list:

2) Humpback - 1 Hammock.
3) Bushcraft Bailey - possibly +1 -Tent (maybe hammock)

I don't know whether it was an intended reaction, but I read that as:
'Floor!' ?

For the main course: :lmao:
And with a hearty side serving of: :notworthy

Actually I'm negotiating with SWMBO about the merits of a hammock and in anticipation of a successful outcome have ordered one the other day:theyareon .

But I move alot in my sleep so I could be on the floor anyway whether I like it or not:)

I may just use the hammock for a snooze in the garden in summer.

Bodge

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
'I want to come along to this Meet on the 7th -9th march post' list:

2) Humpback - 1 Hammock.
4) woodstock + 1 hammock
5) Bodge (Floor)
6) Xylaria + 2 kids all in hammocks with chicks changing/kit tent

Bodge we have a spare DD hammock and tarp if you wish to borrow it?

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
'I want to come along to this Meet on the 7th -9th march post' list:

2) Humpback - 1 Hammock.
4) woodstock + 1 hammock
5) Bodge (Floor)
7)T1tch - 1 Hammock

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Is there a lower age limit on kids

:Thinkingo :thinkerg: :dunno: .....erm.... not too sure really.

Erm.. old enough that they:
don't usually scream all night,
are able to wander around but recognise 'Stranger Danger',
won't fall in the fire if the wind changes,
won't wonder if the embers might be edible,
can understand and follow basic 'camping' instructions (sit, stay, don't hit me with that axe etc).

I think this subject deserves a bit more thought/discussion than the time of posting allows.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
:Thinkingo :thinkerg: :dunno: .....erm.... not too sure really.

Erm.. old enough that they:
don't usually scream all night,
are able to wander around but recognise 'Stranger Danger',
won't fall in the fire if the wind changes,
won't wonder if the embers might be edible,
can understand and follow basic 'camping' instructions (sit, stay, don't hit me with that axe etc).

I think this subject deserves a bit more thought/discussion than the time of posting allows.

Well I have camped with my children since babyhood.

They have never:
screamed all night
Fallen in a fire
Hit anybody with axe

Either has any other well care for baby that i have camped with. I don't expect a child under 5 to 'sit and stay' as they are humans with needs not dogs. Children under 2 and need constant supervision, they don't however need to be surrounded by unsupportive and immature adults.

I have how ever camped with very drunk people who have kept the camp awake with screaming all night and fallen in the fire.

Sorry if this comes over a bit strong, i have more problems camping with seriously unsuitable adults and their behaviour towards young children than i ever have with any child. :rant: [ i need therapy:BlueTeamE ]

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
........ Children under 2 and need constant supervision, they don't however need to be surrounded by unsupportive and immature adults.

I have how ever camped with very drunk people who have kept the camp awake with screaming all night and fallen in the fire.

............ i have more problems camping with seriously unsuitable adults and their behaviour towards young children than i ever have with any child. :rant: [ i need therapy:BlueTeamE ]

Hi xylaria,

My sense of humour didn't translate at well in that post did it :eek: .
I agree totally with you - the list is based around some of the things I've seen/heard adults (and not children) do or seriously consider doing.

I didn't want to specify a lower age because I don't like (but adhere to) the concept that someone is mature enough to do this, that, or something else just because of their age (which is partly why I mentioned discourse). It seems strange, to me anyway, that someone can be considered too young at 11:59.59 tonight but is old enough at 00:00.01 tomorrow morning.
The other reason I mentioned discussing age rather than saying 'Yeah, any age. Go for it!' is that I didn't feel that I could justify a decision, on the behalf of all, without actually asking for input on the subject.

skint

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2007
Leicestershire
2) Humpback - 1 Hammock.
4) woodstock + 1 hammock
5) Bodge (Floor)
7)T1tch - 1 Hammock
8) Skint Hammock +1 Tent

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE