First Midlands Meet 2008.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Well we had the most sunniest impending storm i have ever camped out in, the weather was lovely.

And the rain we did have was almost too lethargic to fall :umbrella: .

It was a pleasure to meet you all (and for those who have been before - again).

Hi bushscout,

Not a problem - it was clear from a previous post that you might not be able to make the Meet. No doubt there'll be further chances in the future.

My thanks to Cyclingrelf who found out quite late that she wouldn't be able to make it and made a great effort to let me know she couldn't come (I logged on to the site too late on Friday to respond to your P.M).

Me and Adam 1 (my son) had a great time phil.
Nice and chilled out.
Saying that though on the way home we encountered a car rolling off the road as we approached jnc 4 on the M6. It was on the opposite carriageway just on the roundabout exit, rough close bound. I pulled up near the central reservation and jumped out of my car and ran over just as the car was settling. It was on it's side passenger side up, all the side windows had smashed. I was relieved to see that the young lady driving was trying to clamber out of the passenger window which was upbank. I helped her out and she seemed ok with no obvious injury, she had a small argument with another (possibly involved) motorist then virtually collapsed in hysterics. A couple had pulled up in their car and came to assist and the lady hugged the lady driver and comforted her. I ushered them over to the couples car so the young driver could sit down before she fainted.
I went to the tipped over car (which was smelling of petrol by now) and got the drivers bag out so she had her things if the car set on fire.
I asked if there were any witnesses of which there were now about 3 or 4. I decided to return to my car and left the young lady in good hands. I wasn't happy to leave my little boy on his own in my car for any longer than I had to.The emergency services had been called by more than 1 person and I felt I had done all that I could.

Quite an eventful end to the weekend which could have been far worse I feel.

Bodge

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I hope you are alright now bodge, car accidents are a bit scary even when you aren't involved. You did a good thing stopping, a lot just drive by.

:eek: I don't think i should tell you this but, on pulling out of rough close, we saw a pheasant lying on the side of the road. It was dead but warm and intact, so we took it home and preped it. We just had it for tea and it was very nice:D . It was on the general verge on the main road not in the lane.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi Bodge,

Glad you and Adam enjoyed your time with us. Hope you are both ok (shock affects observers too!) and had an otherwise uneventful trip home.

Glad to know you enjoyed yourself Humpback - I don't think it'll be too long before the next one - When the time comes remind me that you left a deposit (monetary) for the next one you come to :D

Xylaria :lmao: , you have sharper eyes than those four Buzzards that were circling the site! As far as I'm aware because you didn't hit it (and didn't know who hit it and weren't part of a line of traffic) it's not considered poaching and was freely available for the pot. Hope Hazels thumb and Adams head heal quickly.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Hi nice to have put names to faces look forward to the next one as for the pheasant the car that passed me on the way out hit it but unfortunatly for me there was a van comming up behind so I had to give it a miss and drive on see you all at the next meet

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
Yep, it was great weekend: it's so nice to get away from the madness of the modern world and chill out with like minded people - thank you all for your company, Woodstock for attracting the smoke – and keeping it off me, xylaria and hazel for the wild greenery and mushrooms, bodge for the excellent breakfast, and especially to Phil for organising it – I’m definitely going to be roasting meat in a sweet tin, the scouts out this way will think I’m even stranger than they already do when I pull that stunt! (Until they taste the results that is)

It was a shame I had to shoot so early on Sunday morning, but the folks were passing through so I had to go and attempt to make the house habitable... apologies to whoever had to get rid of my plate; I completely forgot about it until last night when I finally got round to fully emptying out the rucksack.

On the subject of forgetting stuff, (so much for leaving nothing – doh!) I don’t suppose anyone spotted a small light tan leather pouch containing chagra, King Alfred cakes and some birch bark did they? I’ve taken the house and the car apart without finding it, and it is REALY bugging me!

It was great to meet you all, and I look forward to seeing you all again at the next one.

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
I didn't think so somehow - Thanks for setting my mind at rest. I can stop thinking about it now, and just make another one, although replacing the chagra is going to be a pain...

Bread bin oven - nice idea. I've used a large tin can (the catering size) before, and the door/lid was always an issue. A bread bin might solve this problem if you can find one without any plastic bits on it...

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
A bread bin might solve this problem if you can find one without any plastic bits on it...

How about a TESCO special? (£6.50)

s2020001ane0.jpg

s2020003amb2.jpg

s2020001ane0.jpg

Hi Cobweb,

The weather was balmy compared to the barmy weather forecasts that I'd been monitoring :lmao:.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
When are you planning the next one decorum? I really need to get away for a few days and my personal spot in my local forest has been... for a better word.. compromised. :(

I'm hoping that the site will take us in summer, some scouting places don't, how's this one?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
When are you planning the next one decorum? I really need to get away for a few days and my personal spot in my local forest has been... for a better word.. compromised. :(

I'm hoping that the site will take us in summer, some scouting places don't, how's this one?

Sorry to hear about your loss of spot - developement or delinquents?

As the site allowed us to camp on the weekend of a county event I can't envisage a problem with Meets in the summer months; especially if we're a mixed bunch which includes children* (Which we have been so far). I'll be at the site next weekend to have a bit of a natter so I'll know more then - we have already gained a good rep, so that should stand us in good stead anyway :cool: .

* Other than if/when the site is fully booked - and so far that's two weekends.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
When are you planning the next one decorum? .................I'm hoping that the site will take us in summer, some scouting places don't, how's this one?

Although 'real life' got in the way of me getting to the site when I said I would I, finally, have some good news - the booking secretary has put no seasonal restrictions on us for using the site. There are also several members of site staff who would like to look in as time permits.

So...... another Meet anyone?

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Yes please! The family would love to come as well, the twins really enjoyed themselves last time and both the twins and mum have hammocks so no annoying tent!

Same as Humpback, I'll need two to three weeks to organise work and home :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE