First Midlands Meet 2008.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Decorum I knew you would understand my point of view.

Every parent i have met at a meet fully understands what is meant by perental responablity. None of them expect anyone to act in loco parentus. They enjoy the freedom, camping in secure woods gives them. I have found they all have acted in way that builds trust in other people parenting styles. I have met nothing but trust worthy adults.

I have camped in the past with a family that behaved appalingly, the children were lovely it was the parents that were abnormal. But I have sinced camped with alot of normal families and some how supervise the offspring appropriately, the babies don't crawl into the fire, two year olds seem to know to throw the tizzy out of fire range but in view. Kids still do stupid stuff, fall in the lake/bog you kept saying to stay away from, but they get pulled out by an repsonable adult, and have a good cry about being wet.

By putting a lower age limit on you exclude the childrens mothers and some fathers, and i don't think that is good thing at all. Society has it in for us enough as it is.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Are you asking for your own or just in case there are going to be too many rugrats?

Paul

A friend of mine who is a single parent with 2 kids would have loved to come along not really into bushcraft just thought it would be a great experience as they have never done anything like it before

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi xylaria,

I don't just understand you thoughts on the matter I agree with them :D - I get fed-up with townies who have spent so little time in nature that they think that cows and sheep are carnivorous :confused: (and yes I do deal with that 'issue' way to often:yikes: :lmao: ).
As I said previously, I think that it would have been wrong for me to make a decision on this matter without giving others at least some chance to voice their thoughts.

Hi woodstock,

I can't see a problem with them coming along; it's not really any different to an almost new member coming along. If they want to camp rather than craft that would be fine by me

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Hi xylaria,

As I said previously, I think that it would have been wrong for me to make a decision on this matter without giving others at least some chance to voice their thoughts.

Hi woodstock,

I can't see a problem with them coming along; it's not really any different to an almost new member coming along. If they want to camp rather than craft that would be fine by me

I think that was a wise decision to make decorum not to voice a personal opinion without a consultation and im very sure they will enjoy the experience, I may bring some wild grub along for anyone who would like to give it a try what do you all think

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
HI woodstock,

Looking forward to meeting you.
I left the question of wild grub for a few days to see if we got a bit more input. Even without knowing the 'particulars' I'd say go for it.

My possible +1 has had to drop out :( so I've modified the list accordingly.

1) Decorum - 1 Hammock
2) Humpback - 1 Hammock.
3) Bushcraft Bailey - possibly +1 - Tent (maybe hammock)
4) woodstock + 1 hammock
5) Bodge (Floor)
6) Xylaria - + 2 kids all in hammocks with chicks changing/kit tent
7) T1tch - 1 Hammock
8) Skint - Hammock +1 Tent

Edit: I have asked for the Meet dates to be put onto the calendar; this requires Moderaror approval. I thought that this might be a sensible way for members of the site to keep track of the various Meets that happen throughout the year.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi all,

Just updating the infomation.

I'm still waiting to hear from the campsite - I sent the booking form off about 2 weeks ago - so I'll find a way to get on to them in the next few days (snail mail :aargh4: ).

As the Meet hasn't been entered onto the forum calendar I'm taking it that someone decided that it was a no-no - never mind.

N

Neolithic

Just to stick my nose in...we're still interested, but we couldn't make the 8/9 March; the 15/16 March would probably be best for us, as excavation starts the weekend after. If we can't make this one though, we'll definitely be at the next!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi all,

I've been in contact with the site and they have now confirmed our booking for the w/e requested (07-09 March).

Sorry that you can't make it Neolithic and hope to see you at the next one.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Hi ,
I am writing this on behalf of woodstock, he's unable to use the internet at the moment, so could someone please post an update on the trip as he would hate to miss it.

Thanks
Mrs Woodstock:)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi Mrs Woodstock,

The confirmed info is:

Date: 07 - 09/03/2008 - Date and Pitch has been confirmed by the site.

Location: http://www.roughclose.org.uk/p_Home.ikml - Date and Pitch has been confirmed by the site.

Fees: http://www.roughclose.org.uk/attachm...0List%2008.pdf (Unfortunately the fees went up from £3.00 to £3.60 per person per night as of 01/01/2008 ).

Terms and booking conditions: http://www.roughclose.org.uk/attachm... Terms08.pdf . The location we have been using is a Scout County Campsite. Please remember that all those who attend a Meet at this site should be suitable to be around those under the age of 18 (This includes any current allegations or investigations!) - '20. The Scout Association “Young People First” – Child Protection will apply, where Groups or Organisations have none. Copy may be seen in the office.'

From discussion in this thread there is no lower age limit on children (be aware that the sites £3.60 pp/pn camp fee might still be charged)

The wild grub question got the thumbs up (Pending availability).

List of those who have said that they want to come along:

1) Decorum - 1 Hammock
2) Humpback - 1 Hammock.
4) woodstock + 1 hammock
5) Bodge (Floor)
7) T1tch - 1 Hammock

Hope this helps and that woodstock is back with us soon.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Hello - just spotted this thread. A few of us bushcraftuk bods have camped at Rough Close before - they might be interested in joining in. I'll let them know you're organising.
:)
Meantime, count me in!!
1) Decorum - 1 Hammock
2) Humpback - 1 Hammock.
4) woodstock + 1 hammock
5) Bodge (Floor)
7) T1tch - 1 Hammock
9)cyclingrelf - bivvi and tarp.

Also, have you thought about setting up a group area with a big parachute or tarp so we can be out of the rain if weather is bad? I have a large tarp if you're interested...

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi Cyclingrelf,

Always good to meet new faces :cool:. I had considered a group shelter and have been trying to source one; feel free to bring one along - to date we've been fortunate with the weather and no ones luck lasts forever :D.

Hi Neolithic,

Hopefully we will see you all in the not too distant future.

To all,

As the location link in my previous post doesn't work I'll post it, along with the two pertinent grid references, again:

http://www.roughclose.org.uk/p_How_to_Find_Us.ikml

Map Ref:
Site Access: SP 264 779 (Thanks for catching the error T1tch - now corrected)
Main Site: SP 268 788

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi T1tch,

You are absolutely correct - that'll teach me to copy and paste without checking for accuracy :twak: .

I'll not take the proverbial then next time I'm on site - honest :naughty:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE