First impression GEA Waldviertler Jaga Flex boots.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smogz

Mar 3, 2013
Sweden
I'm a hiker and walker. Not a runner.

I started running barefoot maybe 10 years ago, but it doesn't work for me. To much ice-fighting growel everywhere left from the winter in summer. So I never really got to the point where I could run barefoot for a longer distance. I have however kept to the idea and have lots of minimalistic shoes. And my body doesn't cope well with running so now I mainly walk. About 35 km per week.

What I have been missing is a pair of boots, for hiking in bad terrain and for walking in the winter. I prefer natural, no Gore-Tex, that is minimalistic-ish.

Now I finally have found a pair.

GEA Waldviertler Jaga Flex.

It arrived maybe two weeks ago, I have been walking maybe 60 km in them so far. It's been cold here around -10 degrees Celsius, so I haven't been able to test waterproofness.

It's not really a minimalistic boot, stack height wise. About 15 mm. And it's not much more flexible than a standard walking boot.

But it's a boot without drop, and it's wide enough in the toe area to fit my splaying toes.

The insole isn't totally flat, just a tiny bit of arch support, the small arch support is situated a little bit too far back towards the heel for my liking. But after two weeks, I don't feel it anymore when out walking. I had some problem with chafing on the heel, but the boot is slowly but surely adapting to my foot (or is it the other way?)

The construction is pretty standard old school. Leather outlayer, and soft skin lining. Bellowed tounge to keep water out. It's possible to change outsole.

I need a few more weeks to break them fully in. But overall I'm really happy with the purchase.
16112b850240c9ebcf5d3adc7a75d19d.jpg
33cb2adfa5d5c0c48fdb60d52352a319.jpg
93acf26ca60f9aca1ee028a6ae48bedf.jpg

Reactions: dwardo

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Sorry, but I personally would be mainly interested to know how they perform if one walks in them between 35 and 60 km per day. In my opinion such distances should be tried for a test of hiking boots, and a review I probably would write after 1000 km.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If find it quiet interesting that they went back to a low heel after higher heels came in use since centuries.

I really ask myself if that's just a PR gag or if there is a technical or orthopedic reason behind.

smogz

Mar 3, 2013
Sweden
Well I'm happy there is no heel on these boots. For me who have walked in minimalistic or at least zero drop shoes for many years, I don't see shoes and boots with heels as an alternative.

First of all I get more back pain in the bottom-back area when walking with boots with heels. Also I had problems with one knee that has disappeared since changing to zero drop.

It should be better ergonomically since we're not made for walking with heels.

But it probably doesn't matter much walking in soft terrain and I guess the heel helps when walking downhill in slippery terrain.

What I really enjoy is room for the toes.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks for the review smogz, looks like a great boot and it's worth knowing about the wide toe box, I've been wearing barefoot shoes for years now and find it hard to get comfy toes in most other footwear, 35km a week suits me fine!

I'm looking forward to hearing more about them as you get them fully broken in so please do update this thread. goodjob

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
OK, OK, OK!
;)

I don't own them, I want a heel on the boots.
I am of course generally strictly against this design.
:biggrin:

But as I am able to read also in German forums I think I can tell you, that they are fine, @Tony.
:)

They are handmade in Austria, flex sewn, good quality leather, etc. It's a small quality manufacturer, just 60 employees in the shoe manufacture.

You really don't need to wait until @smogz walked 1000 km in them.
I know already the result of his long time test. He will become more and more convinced about them with every step.
If you need or want such flat boots, just call them!

Why you should call them?
Because they offer the boots in two widths, and you need to get out which of them is better for you.

Sommerjaga has a thinner sole.
Wilderer has a sheep hide lining.

Jaga is the old school allround model.
Would heels become interdicted tomorrow I probably would buy the Jaga.

Last edited:

DanB3000

Jan 16, 2021
UK
I've got a pair, had them a couple of years now. Perfect boots in my opinion. Wide toe box, no heel, flexible but strong sole, can be resoled (to include a heel if you want it), lovely leather, no stupid 'membrane'. Have walked a long way in them. I insert a pair of birkenstock insoles into mine when wearing with thinner socks in spring-autumn. Absolutely love these boots.

Reactions: Robbi and Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE