First Hike of Spring 2010

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Today was a good day to just get out for a bit, go for a walk...clear my head, and look at the color coming back into the world. So...I took a walk along a creek at the bottom of Signal Mountain.

IMG_3067.jpg

It was great to see the new beginnings of spring!

IMG_3068.jpg

next autumn those will look like this.

IMG_3069.jpg

All the recent rains have the creek flowing pretty well right now.

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3075.jpg

IMG_3076.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3090.jpg

Bug on a bloom beside a babbling brook :)

IMG_3070.jpg

At one time I would have seen this as a possible resource, and most likely I would have taken it home and added it to the collection. However in recent years there has been some much in the news about contaminated containers involved in meth production I would advise against opening anything like this around here unless you had no other choice.

IMG_3077.jpg

I think maybe this was done by Pileated Woodpeckers, there were a couple in the immediate area...their call is unmistakable.

IMG_3078.jpg

IMG_3086.jpg

Whatever these are, there are a lot of them popping up.

IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3087.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

There were some nice pools to it beside and chill.

IMG_3097.jpg

IMG_3091.jpg

This rock looked like a comfortable seat (and it was) so that's where I stopped and had a snack.

IMG_3092.jpg

Nice view too.

IMG_3096.jpg

I ate my tuna with a somewhat expensive, micarta handled spoon because I have somehow misplaced my spork.

IMG_3100.jpg

Ever find yourself wondering about the food regulations in other countries...?

IMG_3101.jpg

Here's a question for you...which would likely be safer to drink as is, the rain water collected in a pool on the rock?

IMG_3098.jpg

Or, the water the rock is in?

IMG_3099.jpg

Aug 30, 2009
Manchester
Nice creek! Great pics too - I'd go for the River water personally!
Can you explain what you meant by the contamination of containers in Meth production?
Cheers,

Ben

Nice creek! Great pics too - I'd go for the River water personally!
Can you explain what you meant by the contamination of containers in Meth production?
Cheers,

Ben

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the pictures.

That question crossed my mind as I was sat there looking around. The water on the rock...as well as a lot of what was in the creek... was from the storm the night before. I was wondering which would be safer knowing there are houses with septic systems on the mountain above.

There was a recent issue with methamphetamine production in this county as well as two counties to the west. I've heard and read about people getting some really nasty injuries from broken jars involved in the meth production. A lot of those people tend to dispose of all their stuff in secluded places.

Some great pic's there M/W the water looks great, ever fished it?

Thanks Andy, some small fish on up...on top of the mountain...and lots of fish on down where it runs into the river, but none in that area.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Thanks for sharing, grat pics, would love to explore that area! So many plants that I haven't seen before!

ATB

Mike

fantastic photos thanks for sharing your your hike around the wilds..

Thanks for sharing, grat pics, would love to explore that area! So many plants that I haven't seen before!

ATB

Mike

Brilliant stuff - lovely photos.

Thanks guys, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos, I sure enjoyed the peace!

Yes...we do have a LOT of plant life here which makes it a beautiful area...unfortunately I think we also hold some sort of record for different types of pollen all in one location... somewhat rough on the sinuses at times, and especially the begining of spring.

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Hey Mistwalker,

i see that youre luckily one that also carries gear that some might call tactical,but its not so un-common there in US ( i understand youre from there?).
I carry some maxpedition too in my hiking trips and i always hear that its stiff for warfare but i couldnt care less:lmao:,its good stuff and you cant get all the nice tin-cloth/leather/canvas stuff just like that here,atleast for fair price.

SO anyways,i see you use Pelton´s designed knife,aint that the HEST knife ?

what do you think of it man,as i have been drooling over one for long time as i see it could be nice and offer variety of "tools" for bushcraft related tasks too ?

ive had previously one RAT/ESEE made knife,the rat-3 and i knod of liked it a bit,it was durable and all,which i find worth the buck,and the only disadvantage was its capability to whittle/carve due to its relatively highprofiled blade,and in HEST,the issue doesnt excist as the blade seems "lower" compared to rc-3.

oh,great photos too.

Hey Mistwalker,

i see that youre luckily one that also carries gear that some might call tactical,but its not so un-common there in US ( i understand youre from there?).
I carry some maxpedition too in my hiking trips and i always hear that its stiff for warfare but i couldnt care less:lmao:,its good stuff and you cant get all the nice tin-cloth/leather/canvas stuff just like that here,atleast for fair price.

SO anyways,i see you use Pelton´s designed knife,aint that the HEST knife ?

what do you think of it man,as i have been drooling over one for long time as i see it could be nice and offer variety of "tools" for bushcraft related tasks too ?

ive had previously one RAT/ESEE made knife,the rat-3 and i knod of liked it a bit,it was durable and all,which i find worth the buck,and the only disadvantage was its capability to whittle/carve due to its relatively highprofiled blade,and in HEST,the issue doesnt excist as the blade seems "lower" compared to rc-3.

oh,great photos too.

Thank you, I like maxped packs, they are very well made. I don't mind the "tactical" look at all, I just want something that will stand up over time :)

The HEST is awesome! If you want to see the review I just posted it in the reviews section since you asked.

Well, they are never going to whittle like a Mora...but they will take a lot more abuse which works well for me as an individual and as an instructor.

lovely pics as always.

Thanks Barn Owl, I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Great post and pics as usual Brian. Nice one bud. ;)

Thank you Andy very glad you enjoyed it, it was great to get out for a bit and see the colors return after the long winter.

Great post. And lovely to see spring well on its way.

Go on then, what goodies do you keep in the handle of your H.E.S.T? :D

Thank you, yes I am really glad to see spring arrive...even if I will be regretting the pollen in a couple of weeks.

Usually I keep a little money, a ferro rod, and then a little benadryl and pseudoephedrine...because of the sinus issues due to all the pollen :)

Great pics mate thanks for sharing,

nice to see you back posting they are always intereting.

craig

Thank you CBJ, yeah...I have been a little preoccupied lately. When I haven't been working on my writing I've been spending a lot of time in the city observing the situation and doing an in-depth study on urban survival. Now that spring has arrived I'll be hitting the woods more...but still taking time to study the urban environment.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Nice to see one of your posts again! Happy Springtime!

Whatever there are a lot of them popping up
IMG_3079.jpg

Triffids.. RUN!

I am sure I have seen those grown as ornamentals in the UK. What was the plant with the pods on it?

Cheers,
Steve

Nice to see one of your posts again! Happy Springtime!

IMG_3079.jpg

Triffids.. RUN!

I am sure I have seen those grown as ornamentals in the UK. What was the plant with the pods on it?

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks Steve, good to be back out in the woods some. Happy Springtime indeed!

Those are a Paulownia, or some call them Empress Trees, or Foxglove trees. They aren't native here, they come from China. They apparently got spread along passes and railways because of Chinese exporters using their seeds as packing material for breakables way back when and the crates breaking open and the seeds spilling out along the way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE