First BushMoot this year - what do I need?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
All

I would be greatful if any of you could help, I am new to Bushcraft and could do with help on the type of things that I will need to get in order for me to enjoy the BushMoot that little bit more and not worry about the things that I need or when I get there about the things that I ought to have got.

Any help would be appreciated and although I am looking to do alot of outdoor stuff with the family I don't want at this time the spend a fortune, and would like the get the minimum for the BushMoot and build my collection up through experience.

Thanks in advance for any input that you have, it will not be ignored and apologies up front if I ask silly questions.

Gareth

We were all new once, please have patience with me.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I took a couple of bags of firewood down with me last year, but didn't use them. There was plenty of felled timber lying around which, with a bowsaw and axe or knife for splitting, served well, so I probably won't take any wood with me this year. Where I camped we grouped together and had a communal fire, so you may not end up cutting all of the wood for yourself. Also if, as we tried, you make a star fire lay, you don't even need to cut the logs.

Apart from that, basic camping gear should suffice. There's LOTS of room, you can pitch tents and there are many places you can put up a hammock and/or tarp. Only issue may be if you have a very large frame tent, but there should be sufficient flat space for smaller ones.

There are very few facilities on site - a toilet /shower /wash block and drinking water taps.

I took all my food on site, so that I didn't have to go out shopping. Unless you are close to the water taps, I'd take a reasonable sized water container.

If you've forgotten something, people are very likely to lend you, or do stuff for you if they don't want to lend out their knife /axe.

Geoff

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I recon the Bushmoot is the ideal place to pop your bushcraft cherry!
If you take enough gear to see you through a family camp, you won't go far wrong. Bridgend is good for a resupply run after a few days, but to go every day would take valuable time away from the classes that will be on.
As we get closer to the event, there'll be a semi firm list of classes to attend, and inevitably there'll be a number of impromptu sessions as well depending on the subject that are required/offered.
Tony normally holds a morning meeting so that folk can organise their day or request things that they've missed to be repeated.

Any more queries you have, ask away.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
That's a great way to get kit Gareth
The moot would be the ideal place to suss out what might work for you as people are very friendly and will be happy to let you look and/or use thier kit to see how it fits for you.

Minimum kit would be small tent/ basha etc (Argos or similar festival tent) sleeping bag or duvet, cooking pot (normal saucepan would be fine) and food

Remember this is a car camp so you can have bulky things that you normally use at home safe in the knowledge that you don't have to carry them far!

Above all have fun. You need to enter into it to get the most out

Mark

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
bushmoot is a great place to learn and get to grips with the bushcraft because everyone helps each other and its a family friendly place as well and also it just has a ausome atmasphere that just is dead friendly.

also inregards to gear the above posts are spot on and also if you need help come and find me (will be in naughty corner most likle)

drew

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
Thanks all for the above I fell a little more comfortable that the direction I am heading in the way kit purchases is the right one I think it is always best to plan as much as I can so then I can relax and have fun at the Moot, and for my kids to enjoy it as much as they can.

Thankyou all very much the help has been much appreciated and definately acted on.

Gareth

Life is all about cookies and cream you have the good bits and then get hit with the even better bits. Optimism is one of lifes little pleasures

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Gareth, I live in Aberdare, if you are stuck for kit I may be able to lend you some gear, send me a private message mate.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
Richard

Thanks for the offer it is not that I am stuck for kit, guidance on what to get is what I need. The wife does alot of walking so the bushmoot is going to be an entry into camping for her as the plan is at some point to do a bit of wildcamping so this will a taster and a steep learning curve in what we could be doing in the future and not suddenly take her widcamping and hit with the great outdoors witha massive shock to the system.

Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE