First bow

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Very proud of this, my first effort at bow-making, under the watchful eye of Dave and Peter at Forest Knights' bowmaking course. Self flatbow, carved from an ash split using only axe, drawknife and scraper.

P1020383.jpg

P1020384.jpg

Thanks for looking
NS

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Low 30s. I am told it should go up to 35+ by the time it's finished seasoning.

Full draw pic ? Well I have one - the first time I drew it up - but I didn't like what I saw. The lower limb was doing all the work, so I've had another go with the scraper on the upper limb and now I think it's better. I'll get one organised when I can

NS

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If you want to up the lbs a little and/or make tiller corrections a heat gun can work wonders ;)

PS nice looking bow :)

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Wow! That's a first class bow, looks really lovely. For a first bow that's a brilliant result. You must be a natural mate. Well done!

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Problem with bowmaking is the addiction...oh, and all those who have an opinion...beware the Jabberwock my son...

If you can bend it and shoot an arrow several dozen times...'tis a bow...if not; firewood...either way you have a result.

Looks nice though...keep at it

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That looks great :) Nice job!

Maybe on your next one try to get the limbs bending closer to the handle. Sure does look fast mind ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE