First bit of wild camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 10, 2008
Manchester
Hi,

I've just joined the forum as I am getting ready for my first bit of wild camping in early November. The current plan is to head into a forest in Northumberland and camp out for 3-4 days.

Does anyone have any tips based on their first time experiences in the wild? I've decided to go down the hammock/tarp route rather than a tent. Specifically, I could do with some advice about sleeping bags.

Thanks,
Steve

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
You wouldnt catch me in no hammock in a Northumberland November. Reckon my camp would be on the ground asside a fallen tree, rock or wall. but im a southern poof

As for sleeping bags, lot depends on if your a hot or cold sleeper, I would steer clear of down, and dont get too hung up on packsize

and welcome to the site

Wayland

Hárbarðr
If you're going for a hammock, an underblanket would be much better than a sleeping bag.

The sides of a hammock will compress the sleeping bag leaving you with effectively no insulation on your back and sides.

Because an underblanket hangs out side the hammock you get the full value of the insulation and only have to worry about the top.

A quilt or a good blanket will sort that out nicely and you don't have the constriction of a sleeping bag shape either.

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
The sides of a hammock will compress the sleeping bag leaving you with effectively no insulation on your back and sides.

Because an underblanket hangs out side the hammock you get the full value of the insulation and only have to worry about the top.
QUOTE]

So thats why that is- i was wondering why that was.
My sleeping bag aint the most expensive but i was still expecting more heat that i was getting.

Anyone got any pics of an underblanket set up?

Lodian

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have hammocked in November and while it was only in Hertfordshire, there WAS snow on the ground come morning :p

Good under insulation is a must. I have used a cut down large RidgeRest foam pad with good results. I also use a Snugpak No10 bag for winter. If you know for sure that you are going to be able to pitch a hammock, an under blanket, or if its a Hennessey, an Undercover/Pad is very good, but if you might find yourself on the ground, then you need a kip mat of some sort that will do either duty. I find Thermarests to be too hard to keep on top of in a hammock, the closed cell pad is also light, tough and flexible, which are nice features.

Sep 10, 2008
Manchester
Nice one, some great tips there, especially regarding the underblanket, It makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

I think i'll be taking a bivvy as a backup anyway, if the hammock idea doesn't work out I'll have that option to fall back on.

I was also wondering about the subject of food. The first things that come to mind are cup soups, chocolate bars, and packs of instant noodles.

Does anyone have any favourite food items that they like to take with them?

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I'm reminded of a time I went camping/hiking with three others. We wanted to walk the Pilgrims Way - the whole of it, mind - but instead ended up doing the stretch from Maidstone to Canterbury. Anyway, to keep food and stuff evenly distributed, it was agreed that we would each take responsibility for different items. You can probably see where this is going.
Come the day and off we set. We made good speed. The plan was for it to be a weekend walk - start saturday, camp out somewhere, and get into Canterbury early on the sunday morning, have a big fry-up brekkie and get the train home. When it came to camping it turned out that everyone thought everyone else had responsibility for different bits and bobs. And the only bit of food we had between us was a Sara Lea fruits of the forest pavlova (which was an in-joke at the time, and very nearly wasn't brought along)! Mind you, I bloody love pavlova.
That full English at Deb's cafe the next morning was the most amazing thing I've ever eaten.
Not sure what the point of that story was. Oh yes - it's always wise to plan what you're going to eat!

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
The cupasoups, noodles and snickers are great food.
For dinner I like to make chili con carne. Just first boil some potatoes, than put a can of already mixed beans/tomatosauce stuff with it and voila! Good food for outdoors and you need just one billy can.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Oat based breakfast cereal. I like the supermarket versions of Crunch, oats, nuts, rasins and some sweetness. Can be had with milk, powdered milk, or even just hot water. A good start for the day and needs less prep and cleaning than real porridge. Oat-so-Simple is also good; paper sachets, just add hot water, but I find it a bit boring after a few days without adding extras.

Pollenta makes a good addition to dry soup mixes, adds startch and thickness for minimal cooking. Cous cous needs even less cooking, but I am not so keen on it.

Chorizo, goes with dang near anything. Add to soups, stews breakfast fry ups with egg, or have it in a sandwich. lasts well without refridgeration.

I prefer to take proper food. A quarter pound of stewing beef, a couple of spuds, a couple of carrots etc and make a stew. Some sausages and bacon and bannok mix for nthe morning, and I have reciently been introduced to the delights of chunks of salami cooked over the fire.............yummy. I will usually freeze the meats the night before going camping and it thaws our during the day, of if kept in a small cool bag, even longer. Remember that meats like salimi and bacon are already cured so will keep longer than you think unrefrigerated. Good beef will be kept for up to a month by the butcher. Most now have vacuum sealers and you can ask him to vacuum seal your meat for you, then freeze it. It will keep for ages that way.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Some boil in the bags would be good if you're by yourself. Either Army rat packs or something like the ones below coupled with some microwave type rice (can be boiled in bag).
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33582

Lidl do a Kabanosi sausage, which is about £1.50 I think for two - doesn't need refrigerating and can be eaten hot or cold. Quite nice warmed on a stick over the fire.

Take a bannock mix to try, either making a bannock or using the dough wrapped around green sticks, or your kabanosi sausage.

Did you get enough advice on sleeping bag/hammock? I'd be more tempted to sleep on the ground in November. I think you'd be warmer. Hammock is ok, if you've underblanket / overblanket / quilt / reindeer skin etc (the list goes on), but if you're just starting out the chances are you won't have any of that.

Sep 10, 2008
Manchester
Did you get enough advice on sleeping bag/hammock? I'd be more tempted to sleep on the ground in November. I think you'd be warmer. Hammock is ok, if you've underblanket / overblanket / quilt / reindeer skin etc (the list goes on), but if you're just starting out the chances are you won't have any of that.

Thanks, yeah I'm feeling a lot more prepared after reading through everyones advice.

In terms of sleeping arrangements, I've decided against the hammock idea (one for summer methinks) and instead I'm going to get a gore-tex bivvy and a warm sleeping bag, plus an insulating ground mat and a decent blanket in case it gets really cold.

I've found an aztec 3 seasons bag on ebay that i've got my eye on, seems reasonably priced and should be comfortable between -5 and 14 degrees:

http://www.aztecoutdoor.co.uk/sleepingbags/leisure/swallow/swallow350.htm

I'm not expecting it to get that cold but I figured it was better to be safe than sorry :)

P.S. Thanks to everyone for all the great food suggestions, I'm can't wait to get out there and have myself a feast.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE