First Birch Tapping Experience

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
So after seeing Uncle Ray guzzle down his own body weight in birch sap everytime I see him on the ruddy screen, I decided to get up and give it a go, and hope to god it hadn't been over-hyped. So Benop2 (from this lovely forum) and myself descended on the birch trees of Delamere forest park to drain their lifeblood. Alright, so it wasn't quite that sinister...

The weather was rather cold when we got there, and was actually snowing by the time we found a section of birch off of the trail. It was actually surprising how many trees were dead around the park. To my untrained eye, it was an awful lot of rot. Even the Polypore looked different, as though something had eaten away at what should have been a smooth white underside, but which now resembled battered polystyrene. That said, we set up out taps fast. Of course, being a first time, this was far more awkward than I had been led to believe. Piercing the tree, then shoving a stick in there to direct the flow sounds easy, but we quickly found that once the sap has chosen it's path, it's stubborn as hell in hearing any other suggestions!

53133321.jpg

Me beside one of the first taps

We set up about five taps on various trees in our little area and let them drip away contentedly. We opted to begin with a plan of action centered on letting gravity do most of the directing for us. Hence:

94832260.jpg

Here's an attempt to redirect a flow that already deciding to head southward on the bark. Worked for about 2 drips then went back to its original course, accompanied by some choice words from us trying to educate it in the error of its ways:

15822872.jpg

We finally got a system going and were hopeful of the outcome.

34370393.jpg

While we waited, I decided to show Benop2 how to set a tarp up, and let him go wild with his new laplander for the awning sticks :D

p10hc.jpg

Although I didn't get a picture of it, I got to use my monkeyboy stove on my new dutch steel mug for the first time outdoors. Boiled it up a treat in about 5 minutes and we warmed ourselves from the inside out with coffee and mocha. Before this though, we realised that the ground beneath the tarp wasn't so well suited to sitting on, and I opted to try out my very first bushy seat! As a concept, it seemed sound. Use 2 tripods and prop sticks between them to form a low bench. With the angle of the tripod legs, the bench was really quite flat and comfortable. For me. Benop2 opted to rest his rear end gently down to test it and for a moment it seemed to be ok. We could see one of the tripod legs sliding slowly into the mud beside us then stop as it bottomed out. "Seems to work does-...." CRACK!

p12md.jpg

Well, it was worth a go... A central support might have been in order...

Well, after about 5 hours, we had to make for the train station. Discovering that the spout will work providing it goes in before the sap runs down the tree, we gathered more in the last half hour than in the whole ruddy trip! With such healthy flow from the trees, it was slightly annoying to have essentially wasted so much of the sap. Regardless, we were proud of the achievement of having tapped any, and headed home with our slightly less than visually appetizing sap in hand.

p11i.jpg

57501752.jpg

Pleased as punch...or sap...:p

With an idea in mind to freeze a bit and add it to mead (my mouth waters at the thought!) we kind of lost the whole manliness and primitive survival element of bushcraft by our sad, and only choice of ice cube holder...

91682921.jpg

...and by the only glasses available...

71122404.jpg

That rag is our filter. Thankyou Jamie Oliver's Bistro for the napkin you so nicely and unwittingly provided to the cause!

I would describe the taste as a cross between cucumber and elderflower. Refreshing and light. I will most definitely be repeating that little bimble!

Cheers,

Matt

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Forgive me for being picky but I have to ask if you plugged the tap holes afterwards?

Have you got any sap left? You could try reducing it to increase the concentration.

Thanks for the pics!

Mar 5, 2013
Leeds
Yes we did plug the holes afterwards. Don't worry, we love the trees :)

Unfortunately we didn't think of reducing it and we don't have enough left now. Maybe next year.

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
Mate that picture shows a slice taken off the side of the tree! NOT how to tap for Birch sap!!!
no way of plugging that!
just vandalising the tree.
Sorry to rant, but not good.
David.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Mate that picture shows a slice taken off the side of the tree! NOT how to tap for Birch sap!!!
no way of plugging that!
just vandalising the tree.
Sorry to rant, but not good.
David.

Maybe they rubbed it with tar to stop the sap flow? Either way I've seen trees survive worse

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
Depends what tree, different trees respond in different ways, Birch don't respond well to pruning.A small hole made with a knife or drill/ auger is one thing, a slice from the side off the tree is something else!
Rubbing tar on the tree will do more harm than good, old ways of filling cavities with foam/ concrete and painting on arborex or whatever are long gone.
Either way, not the way to tap for sap.

Funnily enough I'm supping some Birch Sap Fizz tonight (3 years old). Strong, but so much better with age. From memory I got the ABV to 16% when I finished up. Must do it again this year. Along with some Noyau. Seen my Beech tree buds looking a bit Godessey. Hmmmmm.

Trouble is my auger bit that fits my pipes perfectly is blunt as a butter knife. How on Earth do you sharpen one of those wiggly wonders? Need to sell one of the kids methinks...........hc

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Valid points guys. This was the first time we tapped, and the picture you took offence at was the deepest one we did that day. The slice was only just the surface bark. No sap was running from anything except the hole made with the knife. That said, it WAS too deep. On that one in particular, we saved the bark and placed it back on it with sap to avoid infecting tree. Wasn't flawless, but it did provide some measure of protection for it. Sorry again

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Valid points guys. This was the first time we tapped, and the picture you took offence at was the deepest one we did that day. The slice was only just the surface bark. No sap was running from anything except the hole made with the knife. That said, it WAS too deep. On that one in particular, we saved the bark and placed it back on it with sap to avoid infecting tree. Wasn't flawless, but it did provide some measure of protection for it. Sorry again

Don't worry to much about it looks like there's plenty of them there. It'll heal and next time you'll know to be more careful:)

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
Sorry should of been a little less hostile with my opinion. :aargh4:

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Well done looks like a nice trip out, takes a good bloke to show his mistakes to the masses and listen and learn from help given, iv seen terrible damage to both trees and ground a lot of which will have been done by so called bushcrafters who fail to listen to help or advise, so well done for showing how you got on

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE