First attempt at knife etching

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Had an attempt at ferric chloride etching today on an unused, well I'm not sure knife. Gut hook pinkie ring karambit maybe? Just a simple tiger stripe to have a go but was quite pleased with the result. Given it was on stainless it's etched quite well so might dilute it for other steel

Before
75d8c965ab651643ebeb76b770e52c56.jpg

After
c0898039440803b8eb34891a2f1c9bdd.jpg

f8ad13127c5c12f78503a6d6072eedbd.jpg

Tell me what you think, I like the pattern but understand if it's not to other people's taste

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
It's taken some pretty serious sanding back with 400 grit wet and dry to get to that stage. But that was also a very shallow etch. One I tried on a karambit was far deeper and even sanding hasn't lightened it up. Be great for sticking in a makers mark. I've only ever used cold blue once and was on an actual gun barrel so haven't used it the same way I would a knife. I would wager they would stand up similarly as they're both controlled corrosion though. And you can achieve pretty intricate patterns with acid I've found

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
It's taken some pretty serious sanding back with 400 grit wet and dry to get to that stage. But that was also a very shallow etch. One I tried on a karambit was far deeper and even sanding hasn't lightened it up. Be great for sticking in a makers mark. I've only ever used cold blue once and was on an actual gun barrel so haven't used it the same way I would a knife. I would wager they would stand up similarly as they're both controlled corrosion though. And you can achieve pretty intricate patterns with acid I've found

Apologies totally wrong thread I've just posted about a knife I made today is all and that's etched too. That karambit is a serious etch and you would have to intentionally remove it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE