Firewood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

john habb

Can someone plz tell me the best wood to burn i.e. hottest burning or longest burning.

Chrz peeps
:)

J

john habb

Chrz Andy, i`m a newbie as if you could`nt tell!
:You_Rock_

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
No probs, it's easy to get lost in the Search facility sometimes unless you really know what you're looking for, it's always worth a look though the temptation to get side-tracked is often too great :D.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Whatever you do eventually use make sure it's bone dry as posible, then you get max heat per cubic inch of wood. Heat isn't being wasted driving moisture out of the log (into cloud's of steam) Some so called "dealer's" cut corner's and sell logs that are still wet and mouldy. Smoke is a mixture of steam and unburnt fuel, an efficient fire with dry fuel gives off hardly any. It helps greatly to have a proper professionally fitted energy efficient stove to burn the log's in. Also it really is worth taking the time and effort to build a proper log store with a roof and ventilation so your logs dry thoroughly without going mouldy and manky. so if you start to convert your own log's you have a good place to store and dry them at least a year preferably more. In France they cut oak and dry it for 4 years :eek: I use about 1 to 1 1/2 cubic foot of wood a day (birch, oak, beech, ocasional ash etc), but then its ticking over all day and basically heat's the whole house.

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
Generally,hornbeam (Carpinus betulus),and beech (Fagus silvatica) are considered for the best fire wood in Croatia.Birch(Betula pendula; B. verrucosa,..) is great for kindling,for it takes flame readily.I also use ash(Fraxinus angustifolia L.).Black locust(Robinia pseudoacacia) burns well,but fiercely,with lot of sparks,and oak(Quercus robur) is used for firewood,but mixed with hornbeam or beech,because it smoldering.Therefore oak is 1/3 cheaper than hornbeam and beech.

ManOtheWoods

Jan 25, 2008
Winchester
I have found a couple of smallish (dry) beech logs to burn for hours with great heat and producing lovely embers for cooking. The local scout group did a demo of this sort of wood compared with the stuff you get from those wooden palates (pine I think) Although the pine burns fiercley it gives up the ghost pretty quick and the embers also don't last very long. As mentioned great for starting but not for maintenance of a fire.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Our local Scout camp has just been trimming / felling some trees on the site. They are SELLING the timber as fire wood to local householders and leaving palat (sp?) timber for the Scouts. Tis a crazy mixed up world we live in!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
on an open fire i prefer ash personally.

bernie

So do I bernie I love the blue/purple flame looks more ike a gas fire, hot clean burn; but ash is rare as rocking horse pap just at the mo. A couple of weeks back I had to take my youngest boy to a clinic, on the way I saw some lads feling an ash about 16 inch diam I thought I'll have a bit of that on the way back; but when I returned an hour later they had crosscut the best sections it and tooken it to there yard sharpish for there own firewood use (I did get a few good lenths of 10 inch diam logs though, long enough to make rake handles) They said were taking a large willow down tommorow U can have the lot if u want :lmao: but I couldnt get that either as I had to do some business elsewhere :( I'd have liked to experiment with willow

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE