Firesteel placement

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

_Geraint_

Feb 8, 2008
Lancashire
I'm still finding my way around the forum so forgive me if this is the wrong section.

A while ago I saw an episode of RM bushcraft and noticed he had his fire steel on a strange laynard clip. I managed to get hold of one of these clips and it's a great place to put a firesteel, it's nice and secure. How many other people do this?

DSCN1159-Small.JPG

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I got mine from a local hardware shop, 99p - bargain!

I carry a few, fastened to a medics side pouch, to use in school and having an empty keyring reminds me that I need to collect them in!

They have stood up to some considerable abuse and not failed, so am well pleased with them!

Simon

WilS

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 3, 2008
North Wales
Yep, ebay for me too. Small, cheap but really handy and far more secure than I expected. I do like a bargain. :)

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Here as well. Bought at the local hardware store and I use them to loosely attach the firesteel to the knife scabbards (with a large keyring on he belt loop) or as an extra security measure for the scabbards with a firesteel loop. They work very well and yes, we all saw Raymond in Canada making a fire amidst the mosquito's ;)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I have the magnet type used in flyfishing that holds your net on the back of the waistcoat.
It's very strong, I also have silver grippers and whistle on the ring

It's an Orvis make that I did use for original purpose at one time,it's also pretty expensive now I believe.

I like it though,it does the job well.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Geraint

The clip is great - Ive had one hanging off my belt for years & i keep my wooden spoon on the end - you never know when a free meal is on offer

Be careful with the split ring that comes with it, they are really weak and you can pull them open if it catches on a branch in the woods etc. Not serious with a spoon (I speak from experience) but possibly dangerous if you suddenly realise your firesteel isnt there when you really need it.

Cheers
Nick

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A lot of key cutting places sell them for about 50p a go. I used to use one but now I`ve got a holder on my knife sheath.

Rich

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I put one on my hammock underblanket at the middle adjustment point, with half each side so i can pull the underblanket around me and clip it together into a pod :D
Genius!

Please consider that idea well and truly stolen! (I will of course claim it as my own, aptent it and get rich on the profits) ;)

Red

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Got mine from the hardware store for a quid. For reasons I forget I drilled a hole into the plastic handle and epoxied the bottom half into that.

I found that I was leaving it laying about so fitted a paracord lanyard to it which made the whole coming apart function pretty much redundent.

In the end I stopped using it alltogether and now have one of the rods with a hole through it on a lanyard, it fits neatly in one of the slots on the outside of my response pack with the cord coiled up inside the front pocket.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE