Fire pan?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sionnach

Jun 15, 2006
Maidenhead
Need some help on having log fires in the back garden to amuse the sionnach-ettes without lifting turf or damaging the lawn.

I think I need a fire pan but am struggling to find anything suitable that doesn't cost £100. This would be the sort of thing for use on your decking.

Anybody know where I can get something suitable? - e.g. steel tray I can put on top of some bricks

Thanks
Paul

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Some sites use steel car wheels as a fire pan, you could get one from a local scrap yard, or even new they can be had for about £15.00

Dave

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
I managed to get a small round portable steel BBQ from tesco for about £2 in the summer.

Just took the grill bit off and use the tray on some bricks to stop the lawn/decking getting scorched.

Doesn't hold that much wood, buty for a small fire it's OK.

For bigger fires I use the steel pan that my cast iron Brazier sits in..........if I'm not cooking anything over it, then I just use the brazier. £40 clearance jobbie from the local DIY/garden centre place last year

Oct 5, 2006
Cheshire, UK
One I saw recently was the top 4 or 5 inches of an old oil drum. Not too heavy, decent capacity and with a couple of bricks beneath it, no damage to the ground below.

sionnach

Jun 15, 2006
Maidenhead
Thanks guys - some very good ideas there. :You_Rock_

The steel car wheel is very appealing as I can liberate one from the hedge just down the road from me.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I made one from the biggest roasting dish I could buy cheaply (got it from Matalan for about £3 I think). I drilled a hole in each corner and attached each corner to a lightweight chain (2 long-ish chains with the pan attached about a foot from the ends.) With a tripod I can set the thing up in no time, pin the dangling ends of the chains to the ground with sticks to stop it all wobbling about in the breeze, and have a fire in that without marking the ground at all. The tripod that supports the fire-pan will of course also then serve to hang my billy from (on a seperate chain).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE