Finding the best flint in N. Ireland.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
Hello All,

Does anyone know where i would get some flint in and around the greater Belfast area. If not what anout Co antrim?

I have found a few small nodules that are of inferior quality around the cave hill.

Anyway please post any leads you have. cheers.

Andy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
Thanks toddy.

Well researched. I must take a trip up that way some time and collect a few peices of flint for myself.

The flint I collected from around belfast has lots of little inculsions unlike the pure glass-like black stuff you see people use on this forum. These inclusions seem to make it weak at certain places.

Anyway i will keep trying.

Any ideas on how to improvise if I do not have antler?

Thanks

Andy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it might be an idea to have a look at some of the posts that Grooveski has made; hopefully he'll be along and see this thread.
There are a fair number of folks on the forum who are flintknappers, but all I manage are not very good flakes :eek:

atb,
Toddy

Hi. I've just been up to the white rocks at Portrush, and the place is coming down with great flint. huge lumps of the stuff and some as big as brieze blocks,as well as huge bolders of flint. i couldn't believe how much there was, most of it just lying around, with lots of nice rounded stones as well. i spent ages knapping away (though not having a clue how to do it, lol) I brought home a bag full.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Celt_Ginger said:
Hi. I've just been up to the white rocks at Portrush, and the place is coming down with great flint. huge lumps of the stuff and some as big as brieze blocks,as well as huge bolders of flint. i couldn't believe how much there was, most of it just lying around, with lots of nice rounded stones as well. i spent ages knapping away (though not having a clue how to do it, lol) I brought home a bag full.

So that envelope full I posted you this morning was a bit of a waste then :lmao:

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE