Finding Fatwood in the bush

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I meant to mention this before but I find it comical that fatwood has been known about for centuries and then for the most part forgotten...., then the Honduran lumber industry comes along and somebody takes the fatwood from the stumps and markets it as Maya sticks as if it were some sort of Mayan secret that no-one else knew about...., I think that is pretty funny

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I'm fairly sure that many people here will also recall Ray Mears episode where he demonstrates extracting tar from pine stumps. Not unlike getting birch bark tar. Pine is an excellent resource no matter which part of the tree you use.

Nag.

I'm fairly sure that many people here will also recall Ray Mears episode where he demonstrates extracting tar from pine stumps. Not unlike getting birch bark tar. Pine is an excellent resource no matter which part of the tree you use.

Nag.

Yup, gotta love pine trees...shelter building, pine nuts, fire starting, fire wood, easy to carve utensils from and I'm sure there is more slipping my mind at the moment.

Sorry, I keep forgetting that the laws and the country over there are different. I only get to see it through the eyes of other people so there is much I don't know. My roots come from Wales but I have never been there and most of what I have read about it in the history books about the long ago past.

I'm hoping for more snow in order to do more pics on recognizing it in the winter...so far this is the only snow we've had...maybe better ones later

PICT0953.jpg

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
Also look for standing dead pines sometimes you can pull dead limbs off and where they attached to the trunk you will find what we in Florida called lighter knot. Shave of some shavings or bust up with the back of your axe. Works almost as well.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Please don't shoot me for a daft question,

Is it only pine / evergreens or can you get it from others (de sid you us, or however its spelt)

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
I believe it is the natural resin in the pines (coniferous) that permit it to burn well Hammock_man, sometines on a felled pine stump you may find resin ouzing out (I collect it on a stick to make a fire lighter)

So in general deciduous (if that's how you spell it) would not provide the same properties but there may well be exceptions depending on where in the world you may be.

A very informative thread and well explained.....

Smoggy.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I wonder if birch wood could be used in such a fashion? I know you can get birch tar, which looks similar to pine tar, extracted using the same methods etc...? I have no idea though - perhaps someone with more knowledge could shed some light on it?

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
I wonder if birch wood could be used in such a fashion? I know you can get birch tar, which looks similar to pine tar, extracted using the same methods etc...? I have no idea though - perhaps someone with more knowledge could shed some light on it?

i dont think so, the birch tar is extracted from the bark. i gess you could say that the bark is the equivalent if not better.

pete

Please don't shoot me for a daft question,

Is it only pine / evergreens or can you get it from others (de sid you us, or however its spelt)

It's not even in all evergreens, so far I've only found it in some species of Pine but not in Cedar, Fur, or Spruce.

i dont think so, the birch tar is extracted from the bark. i gess you could say that the bark is the equivalent if not better.

pete

Now I'm going to end up trying to set fire to every kind of tree sap I can find just to answer the questions. Hmmmmmmm....I think I may have Maple syrup in the cupboard.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE