Finally got myself a dog!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Finally I have a dog, and he's a springador boy pup of 7 weeks age named ben. I originally wanted a springer spaniel but when these came up for sale locally on gumtree at £200 each I couldn't resist saving £300 for a springer cross labrador instead. The parents bitch is the labrador and the dad the springer spaniel. Both looked fit, alert and come from working backgrounds so I'm glad my pup has their genes! My sister bought another boy from the litter so they can keep each other company.

I've been feeding them raw grated carrot, cooked brown rice and raw organ meats along with boiled chicken and they are super healthy and energetic.

He responds very well to training and since day 2 comes when called even when distracted. I took him for his first walk today in the park and he's very confident, tackling any obstacle without hesitation that I put him in front of.

I want to train him to be a gun dog for when I go air rifle hunting. My one and only permission is very small, but it will be ideal to train him on while he's a pup. I also want to bring him on long hiking trips with his own doggy backpack.

Anyone got any tips on how to train pups in obediance and house training I could use a lot of tips and advice on. Just what is the quickest "method" of training pups to go toilet in one place rather than where they want to becuase they are taking the p*ss, no pun intended! Also which are the best dog training forums to sign up to?

DSCF1543.jpg
DSCF1541.jpg
DSCF1534.jpg

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Altogether now.... awwwww!!

Interesting mix, the Labrador in him should make training easier - having a devil of a time with our sprocker!

I can recommend The Perfect Puppy by Gwen someone & The Dog Listener by Jan Fennel

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
ahh mate he is adorable, it will the best thing you have ever done mate, as long as you put the time in and train him right, you will get more out of him, than you realise.
good luck and take care.
lee.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Training a dog is a lot like training a vine... repetition repetition repetition and regardless of the 'old dogs and new tricks' cliche, it never ceases.

Never raise a hand to the dog, it'll only make it fear you. The best form of discipline is to exclude the dog to an area where it has no toys/bed/blanket (always supply water though).

Never lose to the dog, always win. It's a dog not a child ;) If you play tug of war, always take the toy from the dog and then discard it so the dog will collect it.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I can recommend The Perfect Puppy by Gwen someone & The Dog Listener by Jan Fennel

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got both on watch on ebay auction as well as a few more books by Gwen.

Never raise a hand to the dog, it'll only make it fear you. The best form of discipline is to exclude the dog to an area where it has no toys/bed/blanket (always supply water though).

Never lose to the dog, always win. It's a dog not a child ;) If you play tug of war, always take the toy from the dog and then discard it so the dog will collect it.

I wouldn't dream of smacking the dog but when I catch him p*ssing on the carpet or chewing up the house I first run up to him, bend down and tell him "no" in a sharp hostile tone of voice, then if he does it again I grab him and hold him down until he stops struggling then pet him and say good boy.. Is this the correct thing to do or are there better ways of disciplining?

I can see where you coming from on making sure to always win in game playing. Never had a dog before or been around one so this whole dog behaviour is completely new to me and quite suprising, too.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Excluding the dog really does work well - they crave company and attention more than anything. You might reinforce some behavious you don't want by giving the dog attention, i.e. pinning / shouting, where a curt "No... you, OUT!" and then no attention for 10 mins leaves the dog in no two minds that it did it wrong.

Definitely start as you mean to go on, if you're aiming to have rules in the future, have them now instead. A dog is a dog, even when it's a puppy. You'll only reinforce bad behavious if you let the pup get away with things now.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
When it comes to the peeing on the carpet - a firm 'No!'is a good idea, but also put the dog where it's supposed to wee every time it happens as it will reinforce locations. I'd suggest outside instead of 'on the newspaper' as paper training can be counter productive in the long run.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Adze do you mean the dog enjoys me pinning it down?? I'll start excluding him for bad behaviour and see how it goes. I bet 10 minutes seems like an hour to them, do you think?
I give a firm "no" when I catch him in the act then promply move him to the newspaper. So should I instead move him outside for 10 minutes which will also act as a secluding punishment?

What about biting? He loves to bite my fingers and I find it adorable, but should I stop him from doing this? Will it lead to unruly behaviour patterns in the future or is it just inconsequential fun? He and his brother are always play fighting and biting each other.

Last edited:

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Congrats, a fine pup indeed.

Unfortunately, my wife hates dogs and would be out the door in a nanosecond if I brought one home (It's a good get-out clause if I want an out of a 15 year marriage!).
Last week I took wife and kids to a new play park and a women asked if she could leave her dog with us while she went into the cafe, my wife tried to decline the offer but the women left it anyway. 15 minutes later (slow cafe) and my wife admitted it was cute and maybe she's been wrong for the last 45 years!!
There's hope for me after all.

I'm green with envy!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...when I catch him p*ssing on the carpet or chewing up the house I first run up to him, bend down and tell him "no" in a sharp hostile tone of voice, then if he does it again I grab him and hold him down until he stops struggling then pet him and say good boy.. Is this the correct thing to do or are there better ways of disciplining?...

It's not a bad way of "disciplining" him but unfortunately p*ssing on the carpet isn't really a "discipline" problem. ANY form of discipline will (should) cause him to submit to you, and rolling onto his back and/or urinating is a form of submission for dogs. It would be better to scoop him up in the act and take/place him where YOU wany him to go. You should also take him to said spot immediately upon his waking up and immediately after play sessions, excersize session, as well as shortly after feeding.

Whenever he must be left alone he should be crated (during training) and when put to bed for the night as well. He may not like it at first but it will give him a sense of "his personal space" and he will come to go there own his own whenever he wants to be alone. The crate should be large enough for him to stand and turn around in but not much larger and should be placed somewhere out of the way but where you can see each other. As his own "personal space" he will also be instintively very reluctant to be-foul that space and will do his very best to hold it until you let him out.

That said you should never leave him there longer than about 1 hour for each month of his age (examples: a 3 month old dog should not be left crated longer than 3 hours, a 5 month old dog should not be left crated longer than 5 hours) These limits do not aply when being crated for the night at bedtime obviously. You should also take him immediately to his potty spot when you release him from the crate. When is well trained and can be trusted alone the crate will no longer be neccessary (but you may want to remove the door and leave it up so he has free access in or out if he wants alone time in "his space.")

NEVER, NEVER under any circumstances should you place him in the crate as a punishment. The ideal goal is to have him come to think of it as "HIS" space. Feeding him there is one way to accomplish this. And if you crate him when you leave the house, put him in it with water and a treat that will take him a few minutes to finish; giving you time to slip out without him paying any attention or thinking of it as punishment.

As others have said the key in ALL your training is repetition and patience. Congratulations. He looks great. Raise him right and you'll both be happy with each other.

P.S. a good quality dry dog food i best for is teeth.

Last edited:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I had a Ben who started out looking just like that! You've brought a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat! I hope he's as good a frient to you as mine was to me.

Dave

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Lovely little pup, dont envy the whining in the night, cleaning up the mess, replacing the chewed mobile phone, house phone, infact anything that smells of "Dad"
Even our little boy didnt keep us up at night as much as the dog :rolleyes: Good as gold now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE