Finally (duluthpack)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
If anyone is interested in Duluth kit, it might be better off if you order it through www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk . They are the UK supplier and it might (just might, they are ludicrously expensive....) be cheaper than ordering from the U.S. once you consider shipping and import duty.

And no, I don't work for them. (But if they want to offer me a job, I'm more than willing :D ......)

Jake.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
And I have to stand corrected, and say that i have just had an email (finally),from Frost River, with the tracking numbers.

So, i have on the way a Nessmuk pack, and a small folding wood stove !! :rolleyes: :D

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
capacious said:
If anyone is interested in Duluth kit, it might be better off if you order it through www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk . They are the UK supplier and it might (just might, they are ludicrously expensive....) be cheaper than ordering from the U.S. once you consider shipping and import duty.

And no, I don't work for them. (But if they want to offer me a job, I'm more than willing :D ......)

Jake.

Hi Jake,

I did speak to Tamarack who said they weren't going to be stocking the duluth stuff any more as the shipping put the price up too much and it took too long to arrive.

Nevermind eh.

MattV

Dec 17, 2004
Saint Charles, IL, USA
innocent bystander said:
And I have to stand corrected, and say that i have just had an email (finally),from Frost River, with the tracking numbers.

So, i have on the way a Nessmuk pack, and a small folding wood stove !! :rolleyes: :D

Bystander,

I ordered up one of the folding stoves right after Christmas, and all I can say is that it works wonderfully. It gets VERY hot fast. I like that if there is downed wood in your area, you can easily have a hot little fire to brew up a cup of tea while on a day hike. This little stove sits in the bottom of my Duluth pack waiting for this weekend's outing.

MattV

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
MattV said:
Bystander,

I ordered up one of the folding stoves right after Christmas, and all I can say is that it works wonderfully. It gets VERY hot fast. I like that if there is downed wood in your area, you can easily have a hot little fire to brew up a cup of tea while on a day hike. This little stove sits in the bottom of my Duluth pack waiting for this weekend's outing.

MattV

What do you use with it in the way of billies etc ? Would it take a crusader mug for instance ?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Watch out Squidders, not only will you have to pay duty to the customs people but Parclforce will insist on an 'administrative' charge for the the inconvenience of not delivering the goods to your door but forcing you to come and pay the duty at their depot first...

:(

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
sandbender said:
Watch out Squidders, not only will you have to pay duty to the customs people but Parclforce will insist on an 'administrative' charge for the the inconvenience of not delivering the goods to your door but forcing you to come and pay the duty at their depot first...

:(

Sounds like, if I ever cross the pond, I should bring a Duluth pack - full of Duluth packs.

PG

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
MagiKelly said:
I have asked for mine to be sent by USPS so hopefully that may help ;)
That's the best way IMO. The post office charge less for handling and quite often you don't get charged at all (they do seem to have got their act together a little so you don't get away with it as much as you used to.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I asked the good people at Duluthpack to write "returned after repair" on the items. This means that I have already purchased them, paid the import duty and returned them to Duluth for repair - I can't pay duty twice on the same item that I own already now can I? :cool:

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Squidders said:
I asked the good people at Duluthpack to write "returned after repair" on the items. This means that I have already purchased them, paid the import duty and returned them to Duluth for repair - I can't pay duty twice on the same item that I own already now can I? :cool:
A good one if they'll do it. Another one is "gift, value less than $50." ;)

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Topcat02 said:
Wonder if there are any on US ebay?

Sometimes there are Duluth Packs on e-bay. They usually go for higher prices than they ought to. I just purchased a #3 at a local antique store for $18. They had two more, but not in as good a shape.

The leather straps were rigid, but not cracked. A week of rubbing the straps with neetsfoot oil every night, and it is good as new. Canvas is good, but a little dirty. No rips, couple of small holes. Darned them up. A man can't have too many Duluth packs. :rolleyes:

Here's the real deal, an old Monarch (Duluth pack's trade name):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Duluth-Pack-Mon...ryZ87123QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Newer version of the same thing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Duluth-Pack-3-f...ryZ87123QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

PG

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Parcelfarce the stupid :censored: :censored: sent me a bill for the import duty on my Duluth packs. Grudgingly I went along to pay it. I was already :censored: off as the value of VAT charged appears to indicate that the :censored: at Duluth have declared a value 50% higher than I paid for the packs :rolleyes: . Anyway I want the packs for this weekend so I will pay the :censored:ing bill and argue afterward.

So when I get to the Parcelfarce depot the knuckle dragging :censored: there inform me that the import bills are now handled centrally from Coventry. Of course the :censored: at Coventry have sent the bill out two days ago but it appears to have slipped their tiny :censored:ing minds to sent the parcel up.

So I have the bill and the parcel is at the other end of the country. I may be able to get on Monday but that is based on them being less :censored:ing stupid over the next day or so.

You may have noticed I am a tad upset about this as I spent last night looking forward to getting the packs to play with. I am now of to email Duluth to find out what in earth made them decide to over declare the value of the packs.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Its like when I ordered my Grohmann knives from canada, there was the usual duty VAT etc but when you took those into account there was an extra £13 I had been charged. Now according to the customs site this is the fee they pay parcelforce to open check and reseal the parcel more fequent since 9/11. Funny thing was knife zone the suppliers had taped up the carton with security overprinted tape that was unbroken so obviously it had only been X-rayed at best yet your still charged for opening and re sealing.
Dave.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Just had a call from Parelfarce. Turns out my stuff is in Glasgow. When it arrived the Glasgow depot noticed my invoice was too high. It was corrected and a new one created. So my parcel was now under the reference of the new letter I had not received rather than the one I have received.

So the good news is I am off to collect my parcel and Duluth did nit over declare the value. Off to the depot now.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
Duluth stuff looks perfect, i reckon there's a real beauty in (and a sad lack of) things that are designed and made to work well, are easy to maintain and meant to last a lifetime. How much did the shipping and charges etc. come to for your packs MagiKelly? Does anyone know if i'd still get stung for all the extra import duties and charges if i managed to get hold of some old and obviously used ones?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE