Belt Kit (Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
During one of my recent online surplus shop meandering I came across this:
http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s...es/millitary-issue-leather-double-984167.html

I promptly bought it along with another few bits. Wasnt in great nick with some corrosion staining and really stiff, but a spit and polish (or rather mink oil) it came up nicely.

DSC_0058.jpg

After some thought for its best use and a guddle in Pandora's box, I had my idea. My RM wet moulded belt pouch gets a lot of use, but its crammed with lots of bits and pieces, a bit overfull IMO. I decided to break the contents down to 3 separate belt compartments using the above pouch and also modified the kits a fair bit. The following is my (current ;)) personal take on the ongoing debate as to what is best to have on your belt kit taking into account my personal preference, numerous posts in this thread, various blogs and youtube videos, the authors and contributors to which I would like to thank for sharing their variable opinions. The idea I'm predominantly going with is not that of a survival kit, but rather a kit of bits and pieces to make living in the wilds that bit easier. I like to think with sensible clothing, a bedroll, tarp and the contents of this kit (possibly with the addition of an axe/hatchet) you could get by very comfortably, without having to improvise all the bare essentials immediately if the situation arose (through my own choice or otherwise), where this was all you had. The only thing I'd be lacking in is the knowledge of how to feed myself from the land, something I am also working on.

The result was this:
In the old military pouch I have my enlarged and updated my fire by various methods kit and sharpening kit.
DSC_0061.jpg

In these kits (clockwise from top left) I have Hexamine block, tinderbox, sharpening box, wooden block (for contents of sharpening box), DC4 stone, disposable lighter, Aluminium waterproof tube with weather proof matches.
DSC_0063.jpg

The tinerbox and sharpening tin contain (clockwise from top left): waxed card tinder, cotton wool soaked in vaseline, char cloth, empty tin, birch polypore strop, various grits of wet & dry paper cut into strips to fit the wooden block (prev pic), DC4 (not actually kept in the tin), flint, steel, inner tube, various cordage tinder and fatwood for shavings.
DSC_0065.jpg

So the left over required bits I need are in the RM pouch: paracord, snare wire, small leather strop on a board, ouch pouch, Spartan SAK, emergency whistle, silva compass, LED torch (cant afford a mini photon at this time), magnifying glass in handmade leather case and a dozen or so small tacks.
DSC_0071.jpg

Ouch pouch contains the following: alcohol wipes, steristrips and plasters.
DSC_0076.jpg

My formal FAK: stretch bandage, triangular bandage, blister plasters, plasters, afterbite, steristrips, alcohol gel, swabs, safety pins, zinc oxide tape, cocodamol, diclofenac and fexofenadine (uber strong antihistamine - numbs the pain of the midges if it gets bad) and burn cream.
DSC_0082-1.jpg

Add in my homemade waterbottle/webtex cup belt carrier (hopefully soon modified to have a paracord braided shoulder strap from this thread: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75173&highlight=
DSC_0039.jpg

Add my knives (a sturdy 4mm woody clone) +/- a 2mm necker (also in need of some paracord/leather thong for a cord) and the belt kit is complete!!!
DSC_0079.jpg

Hmmm.... Might need a bigger belt :rolleyes:

As I say, this is my current loadout of personal carry items which I look forward to getting some use out of in the near future.

I look forward to any comments and/or constructive criticism.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
Nice army pouch there and very nicely presented layout of the contents.

I shall save the pictures and use it as an example! Thanks. :)

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Just ordered some of these pouches for myself as not always happy carrying modern military pouches, but people don't seem bothered when you carry leather pouches on a belt.

Nice report Totumpole, i've also saved the pictures and write up as a bit of a guide.

Phill

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
As requested here are a few photos of it all on a belt - not as cumbersome as I expected TBH.
DSC_0084.jpg

photo-9.jpg

photo-15.jpg

Sorry about the rubbish quality, will try and do better with a self timer or something when I get the chance.

I'm really chuffed to be used as a reference, makes me feel clever :22: :thankyou:

Last edited:

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Hi TP

My pouches arrived today. The closing strip is straight on mine, but they are in a bit rougher condition. Nothing that a bit of TLC and a couple of new rivets won't cure. Besides the strap being slightly skew just shows it was hand made, which makes it even more worth having in my opinion.

Now to clean the pouches up.

Phill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE