A Night Under Canvas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Yesterday despite a pretty poor forecast the weather was a solid 19 degrees and dry.

That was all I really needed to persuade me out to try the Wynnchester Adventure Bag I bought from Kevin the owner of Wynnchester last weekend at the Wilderness Gathering. However, we also found we were missing a chicken during the day and so staking out the henhouse was completely in order.

We got back home around 6.30 and I grabbed my bedroll, pack and boomstick before my two daughters started making "Me too Dad" type noises.

I picked a spot in our paddocks that had not had animals in since April. This ensured no dung was present and so should minimise the horse flies that follow our ponies. This area is also away from our pond for the same reasons as well as being secluded and only about 100m from the hens.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408898835.958580.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408898848.277140.jpg
By the time the girls turned up I had thrown down my bedroll and pitched 2 pop up tents for them and concluded that Charlie Fox was probably not on the cards. So I chose a spot for a fire and put up the tripod.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408898435.356540.jpg

The girls went and bedded down our menagerie and collected firewood before Mum and our boy turned up to complete the party. Together they collected a wheelbarrow full of firewood as twighlight started to descend.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408899015.559497.jpg

Oh well might I will use the opportunity to practice a skill I have struggled with while I have the chance. So out came flint and steel bought from Shark Tinderbox last weekend also. Thanks so much for their extra patience in helping me to get the right technique and kit. It didn't take me long to catch a spark on the fragment of Amadou fungi. I tipped the ember into a bundle of fence snagged fleece, cotton wool and straw. Gently I nurtured this to flame.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408898986.690998.jpg

Unfortunately for me the girls had not collected anything smaller than a finger thick so things were not looking good for my fledgling flame. I grabbed some fatwood from my fire kit and got that going while my wife went and grabbed "nothing thicker than a match"

Soon with much blowing we had fire!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408899202.845437.jpg

We built a lay to be big, bright and warm as the temperature fell off a cliff.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408899220.660637.jpg

So then started an impromptu brew, marshmallow cook out and later a sing song.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408899381.074188.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408899486.100020.jpg

All my tension slowly ebbed away. It was not far short of 10pm when Mum an Boy headed home. The girls and I lingered another hour as the fire burned lower and the songs turned more mellow and quieter.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408899578.775370.jpg

It was turning chilly but the clear sky showed an amazing starscape. I picked out some obvious ones and showed them how to find the Big Dipper and North Star. I must learn more.

Time to turn in. Getting damn right cold now and the dew had come down hard.

I unzipped my Adventure Bag. Into this I had placed a doubled over Sebian Army wool blanket. On this sat my Thermarest Neoair and a doubled over fleece blanket on that. I found an old cottony square sleeping bag in the loft and fancied using that as a quilt on top of me.

I kicked off my shoes and stood slightly precariously at the head end while removing my jeans, Flecktarn Parka and Swanndri Ranger shirt then slipped in between the covers. I bundled these clothes up and stuffed them into the big pocket at the head end provided to be my pillow. My shoes fitted ok in the gap above my pillow but if you suffer from smelly feet you might want to bag them up. I don't so I dumped my pocket content into one shoe as there is no provision for these in the bag. With my usual sleeping bag there is a pocket but not on el cheapo quilty millets kip gear.

The glow from my Midnighthound groupbuy Tritium Keyring was really useful once again on my car key in the shoe. I deposited my glasses and zipped up the bag, securing the hoop that makes a vaulted space above your torso to keep the canvas off.

I wriggled and snuggled myself into my bag tucking in to avoid cold spaces and trying to keep away from the cold metal of my gun, for which there was ample room beside me. Peace descended, nothing stirred but an odd pop from the glowing fire. I enjoyed being able to spread out unlike in my hammock. My usual relaxed position on my back "The Frog" as my wife calls it. The adventure bag has heaps of leg space.

I was worried about being stuffy in there so had turned the mesh end into the prevailing breeze. I needn't have worried. The air was fresh around my face all night and I woke a couple hours later with a cold nose and became aware of my younger daughter whimpering. She was too cold. My eldest daughter woke too and kindly invited her in to her tent for a sleepover and I think they both enjoyed a cuddle up for warmth as the temperature hit 5 degrees C. I was very comfortable in my cocoon.

Soon peace returned and I buried my nose against the cold vowing to avoid being oriented into the breeze again.

At one point in the night I thought my phone buzzed but it was a distant cow mooing.

Then it was daylight. One of our Cockerels crowed. The ponies grazed in the next paddock. I fiercely needed a pee! So I unzipped the bag, unVelcro'd and dumped back the canvas to reveal a beautiful sunny morning. I wriggled out and struggled to stand up and slipped on my shoes having tipped out the contents first. So probably time to reflect in the lack of privacy offered both by hammocks and bedrolls. I'm planning a more substantial canvas tarp set up for longer camps. God knows the image of me emerging to answer the call of nature is not one is willingly inflict on you.

I then took off my dew soaked shoes and wriggled back in. The sun was surprisingly strong and so I lay out with the canvas thrown back for an hour or so before the breeze picked up, clouds filtered the sunlight and I zipped myself back in.

Next thing it was nearly 10am! I normally only Sleep 6 hours tops.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408901535.705722.jpg

Morning!

Well I obviously got myself comfortable. I will try to lighten my bedding going forward but I was glad for all of it last night. Dew dampens the Adventure Bag but it dried rapidly in the sun. There was a bit of condensation above me on the canvas but I remained dry. More importantly so did my gun.

I have a small concern that had Charlie turned up my scope may have fogged between internal and external temperature change but I will see about this in future.

Lack of storage for wet shoes and pocket contents really are my only criticisms of the Wynnchester Adventure Bag.

I'm waiting for a neighbour to turn me two spreader bars to use the bag as a hammock and rigging a tarp will obviously give me more possibilities for storage and privacy.

Well no fox but a great fun night for my family made adventure for me by Kevin and Wynnchester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bowlin

Nov 19, 2013
Luton, Bedfordshire
Thanks for sharing, a nice read, good to know what you thought of the Wynnchester and nice to hear your family enjoyed the evening/ night as well.

Cheers
Steve

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Great read, and good to know the bag is worth the investment as I've been pondering pulling the trigger on one myself. As for the shoe thing I've found the simplest solution is a rubble sack to place them in (either fold the top over and leave outside, or fold over and use under clothing as pillow in the head end [reduces the pong of feet and the dung you stood in on the way to the bivi :rolleyes: and in winter stops your boots freezing solid with curled toes, so you can't get them on in the morning for that I can't put it off any longer call of nature - don't ask, hasten to say walking on frozen ground with bare feet doesn't improve the experience])

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Nice one Marmite. Thanks for the tip.

I remember reading about one of Ranulph Fiennes polar expeditions and the pee bottles they used. Also remember how the bedding stunk after weeks of bits of dribble. (Not in my new bag, thanks very much)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
I read about a similar experience from some help for heroes chaps doing the North Pole trip and if it was minus sixty and can freeze mid flow then I guess I'd have to think about it! And I know of some hammock guys who have a bottle and say it can be used as an impromptu hot water bottle :yuck:, but fortunately in the uk I'm in no rush to try it ;)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thanks Countryman, really enjoyed reading about the family night out. Well written and informative, could feel myself relaxing as I read.
On the "wee" bottle front found that a wide necked "nalgene" type is best as the wide neck gives a better fit (he said boastfully) and helps with a sleepy aim so avoiding dribbles. Also helps to put a strip of "duct-tape" or some other textures tape to help identify in the dark - avoids horror stories in the morning! (And it does make a good impromptu hot water bottle).
Cheers for posting and hope you don't loose anymore chickens.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
On the "wee" bottle front found that a wide necked "nalgene" type is best as the wide neck gives a better fit (he said boastfully) and helps with a sleepy aim so avoiding dribbles.
58 bottles are also good. A mate lent me his empty 58 water bottle to use as a pee bottle during a blizzard at -20 on lochnagar one winter many moons ago, a gesture I am eternally grateful for. He went to to carry on using it as a water bottle later.
The wide-neck bottles of orange juice you can buy at the supermarket makes a decent pee bottle. And you get a vitamin C fix emptying the bottle too.

Glad to hear the hen reappeared!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks Countryman, really enjoyed reading about the family night out. Well written and informative, could feel myself relaxing as I read.
On the "wee" bottle front found that a wide necked "nalgene" type is best as the wide neck gives a better fit (he said boastfully) and helps with a sleepy aim so avoiding dribbles. Also helps to put a strip of "duct-tape" or some other textures tape to help identify in the dark - avoids horror stories in the morning!

Great write up Countryman, I've been waiting to see how you got on.

I've got a clear wide mouth Nalgene that is only ever used for wee. It's been really useful while my hip has been healing, and a god send camping out in The Lakes in 3 days of torrential rain. Sitting in an Oztent drinking beer watching the downpour isn't helpful regards urine production :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE