Finally done me an F1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I've wanted one of these for ages.

So I did this for me - it's been on the go for months.

I go the elm from Shinken after I saw one of his in it and I think it stunning. Got to do leather for it and maybe even kydex too.....

DSCF8515.jpg

Beautiful figuring on both sides:

DSCF8516.jpg

and I'm thrilled at the bookmatch scales, thank God for decent bandsaws.....

DSCF8517.jpg

the swirls just cross backwards and forwards.

I've been rubbing danish oil into it for ages - just for the looks as it is stabilised, but I'm thrilled with the first one I've done for me in ages.

Better pics

DSCF8521.jpg

DSCF8524.jpg

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
Very nicely done - and a lovely bit of wood that :)

does the danish oil actually take if the wood is stabilised?

Thanks Steve - it does, a bit. You can tell it's properly stabilised as it smells like cut acrylic when you work it. I've applied three coats and buffed it to 8000 grit micromesh since the photos....

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Very nice looking knife Richard :) Have you used Corby bolts or brass bar for your rivets? I got some of that stabilized Elm from Shinken and it's beautiful when polished, but I can't say I like the smell or the dust though :yuck:

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
Very nice looking knife Richard :) Have you used Corby bolts or brass bar for your rivets? I got some of that stabilized Elm from Shinken and it's beautiful when polished, but I can't say I like the smell or the dust though :yuck:

The dust isn't nice - but worth it....

I always use rivets on bigger knives, just finishing a little PSK with tube and elm burr, will post pics when I finally get it done.

Thanks all for the kind words.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
How about using half tanned leather? I have made a sheath with it recently and I am converted! Lovely stuff, much stiffer and thinner than veg tan, you can wet form it tightly to the knife, its much harder to cut through...very nice stuff!

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
How about using half tanned leather? I have made a sheath with it recently and I am converted! Lovely stuff, much stiffer and thinner than veg tan, you can wet form it tightly to the knife, its much harder to cut through...very nice stuff!

Thanks - I will make a full leather for it, but the kydex is for ease of cleaning after a roe buck. My mate who takes me shooting here in Wilts gives me a whole buck for £35, I need to chop it up and don't always want the knife straight into leather. I'm a bit anal about stuff like that.

Shankly

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
Cambs
That is a lovely piece of work there Dougster, I was just wondering if you used an F1 Blank or did you remove the scales from an old one you had.?
Cheers, Shankly

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE