Films

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
You should really check out VALHALLA RISING. It's a work of mad genius!!

valhalla-rising-1.jpg

See what I mean!! I think its excellent, though. However, VERY different to the recently released DVD I saw in ASDA ( I saw it at the pictures) that has epic battle scenes on the cover and raging vikings at war - this never happens in the film!!!!!

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Having a day off from real life today, I'm on my own and decided to say sod it, so I put my feet up flipped on the TV and watched a DVD during the afternoon, yeah I know decadent! Anyway since this thread is about bushcraft films I thought I'd add another one to the growing list.

Defiance. Starring Daniel Craig of James Bond fame ...

No don't start snorting in derision, this is a powerful WW2 film about Jews living in Belorussia taking refuge in the woods and living there during winter. Based on a true story and very inspiring it is. Shows building camps etc. Great if you're into the "What would I do in that situation." types of thinking.

I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere before but I can recommend it as a thoroughly good film. Cross between Schindler's list and Red Dawn.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Hi, how about Deliverance (everybody knows this one), Deadly Pursuit (a lesser known thriller with Tom Berenger, Kirstie Alley and Sidney Poitier)...superb US/Canadian mountain border setting, Without a Paddle (bit of a laugh) (and a tongue in cheek performance from Burt Reynolds), River Wild is pretty good too, and of course....................First Blood :eek:

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hey ,
Has anyone seen Quest for fire , I haven't but would like an opinion before I buy it .
Can recommend Black Robe

Loved seraphim falls .
Mongol I liked in parts , didn't like the huge time jumps . For example , If memory serves he heads off to unite the clans and form an army , in the next scene he's done it . Would much rather there had been two films .
Cheers , Trev .

P.S. GETTYSBURG one of the best films I've ever seen , even if the period is not your bag it's worth watching for the character acting , Immense .

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Quest for fire is class,..i seem to recall it was a toss between that and Conan at the pictures once,..

"Into the Wild" is probably a bit obvious, for the bushy theme, but how do people rate it?

based on a true stary and all that,...

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere before but I can recommend it as a thoroughly good film. Cross between Schindler's list and Red Dawn.

Defiance, is really good eh Biker,

i could not have found a better description for it than that either,.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Quest for fire is class,..i seem to recall it was a toss between that and Conan at the pictures once,..

"Into the Wild" is probably a bit obvious, for the bushy theme, but how do people rate it?

Brilliant and moving film with an epic soundtrack.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Into the Wild" is probably a bit obvious, for the bushy theme, but how do people rate it?

Its 'kinda' based on a story that has become folk legend.... (of bushcraft or more-so lack of)
without criticizing the main character, it shows someone that has a promising future letting everything go, bit-by-bit to really find out who they are....

its difficult to describe, but i would say through more error than trial he lived more than any of us every could have.

I hope that hasn't given too much away for anyone that hasn't seen it.

TBL.

"Open Range" not a bushcraft type film just a good old western. Stars Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner fighting the evils of land owner Michael Gambon. But Boss Stearman's hat is the bushcraft hat for me ;-)

http:////www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi60752153/

Not really a Costner fan but I do like this film, but I also liked "Dances with Wolves".

I also think Robert Duvall's "Lonsome Dove" is a good series too.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
There's a fantastic film with Antony Hopkins called the Edge, good story of paranoia and survival, thriller with a bushy theme.

that is a very good film!

I just watched The Hunted for the first time! - it was a good watch! :D

I have a real urge to make that knife now though lol.

Andy

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I watched Robin Hood with Russell Crowe last night.

Well the film he's in, I mean, he wasn't sitting beside me.

Historically all over the place I beleive but an entertaining film.

Is it just me, or were the beach landing scenes (when the Frogs arrive at Dungeness) an almost complete copy of those in Saving Private Ryan?

Even down to the "landing craft" albeit wooden ones?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE