Wilderness Films

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
There's a lot of movies out, that depict (or try to depict) the wilderness, with maybe some skills involved. Several of these hollywood films, are poorly done, b movies, that were just to be quick bucks for their makers. While others, had serious outdoorsmen involved to help bring quality and realistic scenes to the films.

There are several movies I've watched that I enjoyed, and were fairly informational. The two I like the most, both are staged during the mountain man era. Jeremiah Johnson, was the first wilderness film I ever saw. It's been a fond memory of mine since I was 8 years of age. The other, is a recent film, with Liam Neeson, and Pierce Brosnan. It was called Seraphim Falls. A more.. graphically violent film about a mountain man, being hunted down by (for lack of a better term) bounty hunters. Both films showed certain skills involved, that were used by Mountain Men (flint and steel, use of log building tools, etc).

Anyone else out there with fond memories of certain films? Anyone else have suggestions of good films for others to watch?

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
There was a thread sometime ago on this which you may care to search for.

Sadly, I have never watched Jeremaih Johnson and am still on the look out for it. Seraphim Falls seems interesting too.

Nanook of the North
is probably the first 'bushcraft' movie and is still good watching.

Just filming it was a massive achievement since the director canoe-ed from lower Canada to Hudson's bay before takin a ship to the Barren lands

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Alone in the wilderness. About the best documentary I ever saw. A selfshot film about a man making a living at the foot of the aleutian peninsula, narrated by his own diary. The guy was 51 years old when he left civilisation and made a log cabin and basically lived of the land. The film only depicts the first year, although he stayed there til he was 81 or so.

Not much to say really, see it if you haven't. Wonderful clips on log building.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
There was a thread sometime ago on this which you may care to search for.

Sadly, I have never watched Jeremaih Johnson and am still on the look out for it. Seraphim Falls seems interesting too.

Nanook of the North
is probably the first 'bushcraft' movie and is still good watching.

Just filming it was a massive achievement since the director canoe-ed from lower Canada to Hudson's bay before takin a ship to the Barren lands

i got my copy of jeremiah johnson from play.com another good film is the trap with oliver reed

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Other movies that involve the bush/survival:

1) Into the Wild (haven't seen it yet)
2) Quest for Fire
3) Castaway
4) Lost in the Barrens
5) Snow Walker
6) The Hunted
7) The Edge
8) Clan of the Cave Bear
9) Last of the Dogmen
10) Last of the Mohicans

It's late, I've been up for a long time, I know there's many many more, but I can't remember them:rolleyes: :lmao:

I guess Dog Soldiers doesn't count then?

There was a Grizzly Adams film I seem to remember?

Crocodile Dundee has some funny bits in it as well as some Aborigine style bushcraft, cooking the goanna straight on the fire, using a bullroarer etc, dunno about shaving with the short sword he carries tho'

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Alone in the wilderness. About the best documentary I ever saw. A selfshot film about a man making a living at the foot of the aleutian peninsula, narrated by his own diary. The guy was 51 years old when he left civilisation and made a log cabin and basically lived of the land. The film only depicts the first year, although he stayed there til he was 81 or so.

Not much to say really, see it if you haven't. Wonderful clips on log building.
Just bought the book for my sister for Christmas.....cant seem to be able to confirm if the dvd I have found available in the US will play on my Playstation2?
Dave

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Yes, this film is superb. And its Dick Proenneke your talking about.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
There is a movie that came out about the same time as Jeremiah Johnson called Man in the Wilderness. It's based on the story of Hugh Glass. He was with a group of trappers out in the Rocky Mountains when he got caught and mauled by a grizzly bear. They paid two guys to stay with him until he died and then bury him. Those two guys abandoned him. Most of the story shows how he survives, heals up, and heads out to catch up to the group. Lots of good survival skills shown. Although, when he finds an old straight razor and a flint spearhead, and uses them to start a fire, it looks a whole lot like he was using a ferro-cerrium rod. Lots of white sparks!

The Fast Runner. All about an Innuit/Eskimo story. Filmed using all Innuit actors, and speaking in their native language (with English subtitles). It shows lots of their normal daily life, and the skills they use to survive in a land of mostly ice and snow. Even using Seal oil grease lamps for light, heat, and cooking. Well worth seeing for winter living.

Black Robe. A Canadian film about a 1634 canoe journey of an Indian band/family taking a Jesuit missionary out to their mission among the Hurons on the Great Lakes. It shows lots of daily life/living of the Indians at that time. And very historically correct in the clothing and gear (except for the "modern made" birchbark canoes - but most people won't even be able to tell the difference.)

Just a few films to help ... spark your imagination.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Watched Rescue Dawn recently. The story* of Lt. Dieter Dengler ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieter_Dengler ) crash, capture and escape in Laos.

The only thing bushcraft related really, was the method of starting fire with bamboo and tinder.

But has some comedy moments, like his plane has been shot, and its coming down yet he doesn't eject!? And when a pair of them find a single shoe sole, so they end up sharing it.

* Seems that the film took some liberties with the truth.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
There is a movie that came out about the same time as Jeremiah Johnson called Man in the Wilderness. It's based on the story of Hugh Glass. He was with a group of trappers out in the Rocky Mountains when he got caught and mauled by a grizzly bear. They paid two guys to stay with him until he died and then bury him. Those two guys abandoned him. Most of the story shows how he survives, heals up, and heads out to catch up to the group. Lots of good survival skills shown. Although, when he finds an old straight razor and a flint spearhead, and uses them to start a fire, it looks a whole lot like he was using a ferro-cerrium rod. Lots of white sparks!

The Fast Runner. All about an Innuit/Eskimo story. Filmed using all Innuit actors, and speaking in their native language (with English subtitles). It shows lots of their normal daily life, and the skills they use to survive in a land of mostly ice and snow. Even using Seal oil grease lamps for light, heat, and cooking. Well worth seeing for winter living.

Black Robe. A Canadian film about a 1634 canoe journey of an Indian band/family taking a Jesuit missionary out to their mission among the Hurons on the Great Lakes. It shows lots of daily life/living of the Indians at that time. And very historically correct in the clothing and gear (except for the "modern made" birchbark canoes - but most people won't even be able to tell the difference.)

Just a few films to help ... spark your imagination.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Many of the scenes from Black Robe, were filmed along the shores of Georgian Bay. As well as at "Sainte-Marie Among the Huron", a reconstructed French Fort and Huron Indian Village. My grandfather, and his grandfather, Chief Wilmer Nadjiwon, rebuilt the native village and items within it. They also built the canoes in the film.

Chief Nadjiwon also provided supplies and food for the cast and crew of "Quest for Fire", during the filming along the Bruce Penninsula.

I never got to see Black Robe, only small scenes.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I don't think The fast runner was made with the humane society in mind, they kick the crap out of their dogs! But this is the reality of the life, it isn't glossed over like most films these days. There is one bit where one of the guys is unhitching his dog and another dog snaps at his hand. He gives it a quick sharp kick, but people have to realise that these are working animals and not pets to be treated all cuddly. I enjoyed this film for its' stark photography and realism, and my wife enjoyed the winky action!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE