Some advice on daysacks - Karrimor or Highlander!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi All, this is only my second post! Since introducing myself two or three weeks ago (thanks for the helpful advice by the way!) I've been walking along the white cliffs of Dover and have been showing the missus why I bought yet another camping stove (this time it was the Swedish Army Trangia). Amazingly she liked it and thought the soup tasted better having been freshly cooked rather than getting watered down by the condensation in a flask!

When not on hikes, I've been out in the local woods collecting dry tinder and practicing the art of fire lighting (in my fire pit at home, before anyone starts to think I'm an arsonist!!). This weekend, I'm heading out to the woods to collect a decent piece of wood so that I can have a go at whittling (albeit with my SAK Huntsman) - I'm thinking a small spatula might be a good project to start with.

Anyway I digress! I'm currently using an old sports rucksack and while there's nothing wrong with it, I feel the need to replace it with something new and a pack which is perhaps better suited to my needs.

That is to say that I'm after a day pack between 30 and 35ltr's - I guess that might be a bit bigger than a typical day pack because I'm also likely to be lugging around my wife's coat, jumper and food (just call me Eeyore!). I expect the pack will also be used for work and occasional weekends away (non-outdoorsy type stuff!).

I've basically been looking at three options: First is the Highlander Forces 33 as it seems to get a lot of good reviews and I like the fact it's made from quite robust material and has the side pockets to help with organisation. It's also quite affordable.

The second option is the mil-com airjet 25 or 35 ltr rucksack although these don't appear to be as well made as the highlander.

The third option is to wait a little longer and get the Karrimor SF Sabre 30. Nice strong pack, lacks the side pockets but the sabre's seem to get a lot of love from bushcrafters. The above two options give you an idea on my ideal sort of budget (£30ish) but I won't object to paying £50-55 for a pack if it definitely is worth it?

Thanks for reading, I'd of course appreciate anyone's thoughts, particularly if you've used these packs.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
The Highlander forces bags are very good for the price, I have the 44l version. That said if your looking for something to last a lifetime check out the Berghaus Munro.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
thought the soup tasted better having been freshly cooked rather than getting watered down by the condensation in a flask!

Whilst it will probably taste better freshly cooked, it's certainly not being watered down by condensation in a flask ( unless you are adding extra water to your flask for some reason) , as the condensation in the flask comes FROM the soup's water content!

A 30-35 litre pack is a pretty standard size day pack, and on the small size for winter when you need more and bulkier clothing than the rest of the year. If you are going to use it for weekends away then you will probably need something closer to 65 litres - remember you don't always need to fill it and whilst a larger rucksack does weigh more than a smaller one , it's not a huge difference as most of the mass is in the back system, shoulder and belt straps and buckles , which are pretty well the same no matter what size the pack is.

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
+1 on the Munro plus you can get side pockets for it. Think I paid £20 for my last one (eBay)
Plenty of packs around that size available, if you want retro there are the Austrian mountain packs which are excellent too.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I picked up this version of the Karrimor Sabre 35 a couple of months ago http://www.ronniesunshines.com/bushcraft-camping/rucksacks-bags/rucksacks/karrimor-sabre-35.html

A bit more than you are looking to spend but seems a well put together and thought out piece of kit, still only used it in anger a couple of times but very pleased so far.

As Brambles says though, with a long weekend trip coming up later this month I am beginning to wish I had gone for the 45l next size up and then I could have added the side packs for further capacity for longer/colder trips and left the side packs off for shorter trips...... Oh well, just have to learn how to pack less gear I guess !

Cheers, Paul

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Thanks for comments. Yep liking the look of the sabre 35 and berhaus munro.

Re: the comments about weekends away, I'm only really looking for a day pack at the mo. I might look at doing a night out but certainly not for the foreseeable future. At the moment im interested in going out for long walks in countryside (often with missus and dog in tow!) and learning those all important bush craft techniques.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE