File work

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
Hi guys I wonder if anyone can help me out here. I have just purchased a blade and wondered if there is a way I can soften it so that I can add some file work to the spine not sure if I have to heat it first or what any help as always gratefully appreciated
Rick

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Hi Rick,

Assuming the blade is already tempered throughout and holds a good edge, you'd need to remove any fittings and heat the whole knife to cherry red and then let it cool very slowly to anneal. This would make the blade workable once cooled for the purposes you require.

Heating the blade to the above colour would destroy the temper, leaving it very difficult to take or hold an edge. You'd need to re-temper the blade in order to keep the knife sharp, which would depend upon the type of steel your knife is made from.

Everything Mac is a good Bladesmith who is a regular on the forum, as is Dave Budd. I'm sure one will be along soon enough to give you some more info.

flexo

Forager
Dec 3, 2010
france
for a basic file work,you could use chain saw files without heating the blade,but if you want a more refined thing you'll need to annneal it!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
don't fret about re- heat treating it.There are 2 ways to get around that ;)

1) put the cutting edge (and about half the blade width) into a blob of clay to protect the temper of the edge and tehn heat the back with a blow torch until it goes through blue and into greay. that is as soft as it will get without fully annealing (and with simple steels that's not much differet)

2) use diamond files. or if your hand is steady and the pattern allows, use a dremel with diamond burrs

been there, done that :rolleyes:

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I would deffinately use diamond files no need to muck about with heat treating and they do a nice job takes a bit longer but not massively more, all depends on how confident you are that you could heat treat and temper the blade again afterwards

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE