Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Axe Stone

Votes: 53 77.9%

• Total voters

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Little DC4 when out and about is perfect for touching up an edge.
A file is handy for when i get the axe back after lending it to someone :rolleyes:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Well seeing as the question in the first instance was axe FILE or axe STONE, if I had just the choice of one it would be a file. It will get the edge very sharp quickly, remove dings and dents etc (and can be used for other jobs like saw's etc. I generaly use a 3 square bahco ones I also use for filing saws) OK its not a zen perfect mirror polish, but for rough carving of forms its a fine enough edge, why waste time and effort taking it any further. Its on my knives I want the finest smoothest edges to get burnished finishes on wood carvings. Sometimes I will use those cheap diamond cards, ocasionally strop, but very rarely nowadays on the axes, theres no need to.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
A file for shaping.
A sanding block with a cut up mouse pad glued to the face with wet and dry paper-180, 320, 600, 1200 and then autosol polish-this gives a constant curve to the cutting edge and could shave an ameoba.
I too, am obsessive.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
From reading the responses, I'm going to assume a GB SFA is a type of axe?

I use a bench grinder(geared down low rpm) for most of the sharpening, then finish it off with a stone. Never tried a file but I guess that would be just as good...

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
Only just got into the axe thing but I bought an old axe and I used a file and wet and dry. The file did all the heavy lifting and the sand paper did the rest.

Ever since honing cut throat razors, I too am OCD about it.

To be honest, what ever metal working file or low grit bench stone you have stuck in the back of the garage will probably do the job. I personally wouldn't rush to spend money on specialized tools.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My Gran used to sharpen her kitchen knives on the base of her mixing bowl.

Pizza stone is a great sharpening tool for kitchen knives....even the butter knives end up razor sharp.

Last time I sharpened an axe I used the wee DC4 and then a hone to polish it up. Tidy :D

M

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I reckon that a file will do the job more quickly but a stone will do it better in the sense that you'll keep the convex profile more readily. Cutting up a mouse mat, sticking it on a block of wood and then attaching some wet 'n' dry will allow you to get that wonderful polished sharp edge.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Both for me. I use a file to remove dings and such then finish off with the stone. I prefer using a stone as I find it very relaxing to sit on the patio watching the world go by and sharpen using a stone.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Files (three grades), belt sander, diamond hones, waterstones, axe stones, Hoodoo hone, wet and dry, leather strop, buffing compound and all the other tools that may be needed to shape, sharpen and polish metal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE