Field Archery Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Very few knives have acute points though, and the ones that do are not designed for digging things from trees or wherever :) They tend to be precision tools and need to be treated carefully. Kiridashis are really not designed to pry things.

Let me put it this way...... for every 100 knifemakers in the world (handmade or production) i'd say that only 20 of them at most actually know what they are doing. The rest just know how to make knife shaped objects. These tend to break, have bad edge geometry or just be totally over engineered to the point they become useless as a knife.

Why is the tip weaker than any other knife with an acute point at the same thickness?

Still think a big bradawl is the optimum tool for the Job.

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thats weak tea dude :) Kiridashis have weak tips.... and only came into existence because makers didnt want scraps of steel going to waste ;) I've never seen the point in one... its waste metal with an edge thats not really designed for a purpose other than scrap = money. :) I could make over a hundred of those from my scrap bin :) But i only make knives with a real purpose... :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this about kiridashis.

I'm really surprised someone hasn't come up with a standard design for outdoor archery as it seems to be a common request.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
My new knife had it in mind as bow making is something i've been getting into. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this about kiridashis.

I'm really surprised someone hasn't come up with a standard design for outdoor archery as it seems to be a common request.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
A thick bladed wrecking knife would be a pretty good choice for prying I believe

Bahco wrecking knife by British Red, on Flickr

I don't pry mine out. I remove wood from around the point then wiggle it out. Hence the need for something small, pointy, with no blade edge beyond the tip and a decent pommel. Chisel, bradawl or sharpened screwdriver. Digging holes with knives is wrong tool, wrong job territory.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Very few knives have acute points though, and the ones that do are not designed for digging things from trees or wherever :) They tend to be precision tools and need to be treated carefully. Kiridashis are really not designed to pry things.

Let me put it this way...... for every 100 knifemakers in the world (handmade or production) i'd say that only 20 of them at most actually know what they are doing. The rest just know how to make knife shaped objects. These tend to break, have bad edge geometry or just be totally over engineered to the point they become useless as a knife.

As far as I was aware dashis are supposed to be craft knives. It's more the shape I was alluding too. Very small cutting edge running perpendicular (or near as possible) to the handle angle.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't pry mine out. I remove wood from around the point then wiggle it out. Hence the need for something small, pointy, with no blade edge beyond the tip and a decent pommel. Chisel, bradawl or sharpened screwdriver. Digging holes with knives is wrong tool, wrong job territory.

Yeah that makes sense - prying would probably trash the arrows :eek:. Hard to see how anything would work better than an old chisel for that :)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Pliers are good if the head isn't buried. Wiggling the arrow shaft will break the arrow but pliers let you wiggle the head out without damaging the tree too much which digging out the head with a knife will do. So a leatherman type tool perhaps?

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
A small pry bar, with the head ground down to a chisel head, is the best thing i have used, always worry if i use a knife whether i will break the tip.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I use a blackjack model 4 with the thumb guard ground off.
You want a slim blade profile of thick steel stock. Bottom guard is all you need. Also no hollow grind !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE