Field and Trek

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
I don't what other people's experience is of Field & Trek, but I would say "Avoid them like the plague"!

I recently got an email from F&T advertising Trevica Banff boots at £59.99. They are described on their website as follows:-

These Nevica Banff Mens Boots are great for keeping your feet warm and dry thanks to a waterproof outer coupled with a woollen inner to the ankle and lace up design for a secure and comfortable fit. The waterproof boots have a reinforced toe together with a thick outsole with a great level of grip, the boots are complete with a Nevica logo to the tongue and outer of the shoe.

They seemed just what I needed for walking the dog etc and the price was ok, so I went into their Bournemouth store on Sunday and bought a pair.

Today I wore them for the first time in the rain. After 10 minutes I could feel the water coming through and by 20 mins my socks were completely soaked and squelching. Now, I don't know about you, but this is not what I expect from boots described as "waterproof"! So today, I took them back. The manager(!!??) just shrugged his shoulders and looked at me with sullen disinterest. When I pointed out the website said they were waterproof he replied that clearly that is only the rubber bit round the edge not the fabric part of the boot (despite the word "waterproof" being printed on the fabric bit). When I disagreed, he told me I was being rude to him and just kept repeating that aggressively. I asked how I was being rude (I am not a rude or aggressive person by any stretch) he said because I was arguing! He then came from behind the counter and squared up to me!

I obviously wasn't going to get any joy so I thought I would ring their head office. Guess what, no number is given anywhere and by the look of other posts elsewhere it is impossible to ring them and they usually don't reply to emails.

I'm not going to let it drop - but suggest that you good folk keep well away!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Trading standards. Not for for purpose or as described.
Go the whole hog as thats shocking service.

Never bothered with them my self due to their silly clubcard thing. Plus all their super offers are usually cheap kit whilst the decent kit is more expensive than i can find online.

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
Dwardo - yes, I have contacted Trading Standards and got some advice. Still looks like I will have to jump through hoops though :( .Regards, club card thing, I think you are mixing them up with GoOutdoors. Field and Trek are part of SportsDirect.
Mesquite - thanks but I have tried that number and it is no longer in service (surprise, surprise!)

I posted a review on their website saying the boots leaked and to avoid them and guess what? The mod removed it! Guess they only want good reviews.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Field and Trek UK Ltd Unit A Brook Park Meadow Lane Shirebrook , Mansfield , , NG20 8RY , United Kingdom www.sports-soccer.co.uk
Phone: 44 87 0777 1071
Revenue: $1M
Industry: Leisure, Sports & Recreation
Employees: 102
SIC: Retail-Catalog & Mail-Order Houses (5961)
NAICS: Mail-Order Houses (454113)
Description: Field and Trek (UK) Limited operates a chain of retail stores that sell outdoor clothing and equipment to customers in the United Kingdom. It offers various products for outdoor clothing, camping equipment, rucksack, skiing, running, fishing, camping, climbing, and water sports requirements to men, women, and kids. The company also provides campaign, cleaning and proofing, first aid, and GPS and navigation products; and multi tools, insect repellents, sun screens, torches, travel accessories, walking poles, and miscellaneous outdoor equipment. In addition, it sells its products online. The company was founded in 1973 and is based in Mansfield, United Kingdom. Field and Trek (UK) Limited operates as a subsidiary of Sports Direct International Plc.

2013-11-11 00:49:29

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've used them since the late 90's, their annual catalogue used to be a really good read, full of good information and tips and not just about the gear they were selling. But they have gone down hill in recent years, I tend to use them for checking prices on items I've already researched and looking to buy.

About two years ago I sent back a pair of Salomon Fastpacker boots which started to leak after about 60 miles of Lake District walking. I'd purchased them online so I had returns information, long story short I sent them back and they replaced them within a couple of days. Their policy is/was to send them back to the manufacturer to check the fault, but the quick turn around meant they obviously didn't do that and they just despatched a new pair to me.

The bloke in the store is bang out of order so I'd take it as high as you possibly can, a couple of numbers you can try ..

Customer Services (from Amazon) - 0844 8001001
After Sales - 0844 801003
Alternative - 0845 1299233

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
Thanks Shewie and Goatboy - you are obviously better at web researching than me! I will give them a ring tomorrow.

It's all a bit of a shame really cos the boots were really comfy up until the point that they starting shipping more water that the Titanic!

My wife has offered to employ her secret complaining weapon. She goes into the shop and turns on the waterworks - rarely fails!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Dwardo - yes, I have contacted Trading Standards and got some advice. Still looks like I will have to jump through hoops though :( .Regards, club card thing, I think you are mixing them up with GoOutdoors. Field and Trek are part of SportsDirect.
Mesquite - thanks but I have tried that number and it is no longer in service (surprise, surprise!)

I posted a review on their website saying the boots leaked and to avoid them and guess what? The mod removed it! Guess they only want good reviews.

Sorry bud yes wrong store :eek: They all start to look the same in end.
Make it your new hobby to cause them as much hassle as you can. A member of staff squaring upto you? In self defence I can understand.
Not sure if I would have been so calm faced with a personal threat, well done you are now in the best position to take it up with higher management rather than waiting for a court date.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
How very strange, I had a similar thing in in a sports direct shop in Peterborough!!

I was trying to take a t shirt back, it was only £4 but not the point, he didnt want to take it back as he said it was my problem, then the assistant manager squared up to me, when he got in my face I told him exactly what I was gonna do to him unless he got out of my face and then he called security because i threatened him lol!!

They must just employ aggressive people!!

Hope you get sorted pal!!

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Bang out of order, squaring up to you has to be a case for instant dismissal.

These may be a help,

CEO's email..................Dave.Forsey@sportsdirect.com

Owners email................Mike.Ashley@sportsdirect.com

In a case like this I would write an email to the above. Tell them exactly what happened and that you are making an official complaint. Include numbers of how many customers were present and any other embarrasing details you can think of.

You could finish it off with details of the consequences of them not sorting this out to your satisfaction, I like to use the wording 'taking it to a more public forum', i.e. social media, forums and Watchdog (most companies hate that word!).

OR, save it for further communications after they get back to you, after their investigations, you may not need it if they are worth their salt. Always best to word it wisely, try and get it across to them without it sounding like blackmail :eek:

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
There was a time when FT was a top of the range shop (up to about 2008-9). Top brands and the best equipement on the market. Catalog every season, well trained staff and customer service second to none.
Had a problem with Mountain Equpment SleepwalkerII sleeping bag-one of the hanging loops puled out. They took it no questions asked, received a letter with appologies for inconvenience, two weeks later got a replacement in the post with a newer model and another letter.
I left a lot of money there and still have a lot of gear from them. Then it all went wrong (I think I remember something about a new management) and they started going from "outdoor passionates" to "cheap and cheerful". Recently they have been taken over for pennies by the comapny that owns SportsDirect and I think Millets (websites are almost identicall).

Never got over that and sometimes when I stroll in to have a look at their SALE shelf a have a tear in my eye. Luckyly Cotswold is now trying to be like that. I'm polish and when I was young I had to do with canvas, kitchen knife and army boots, so when I came to UK FT was my litle candy land. Real shame...

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Never found a problem myself. As for the individual in the store; well every company has it's fair share of numpties.
Every trading company must publish/display contact details by law. Was it that difficult to find?

Vote with your feet as we all do.

I'll gladly swap your negative experience for my £9K B&Q Kitchen fiasco!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE