Few Kit Questions

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
Im looking to get a few more items, main things are a new tent probably a 2-3 man used mostly in scottish weather, but not in winter, i really dont have a clue about makes etc, and im not wanting to spend too much.

other thing i need is a new rucksack. i have one just now but its a bit tatty, i have no idea what size it is, or what size to get i wil be using it for small camping trips, so 2-3 days just top carry basics, cooking tins sleeping bag, food etc.

thanks guys.

leon-1

As far as a Pack is concerned you may want to have a look at one that is 60 - 70 litres, you can get some at good prices from Gaynor Sports in Ambleside.

I can't help you too much with the tents I am afraid, but reputable firms that make tents to look for on ebay would include, Vango, Terra Nova, Vaude, Hilleberg, Jack Wolfskin and The North Face.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
Rochester, Kent
Perhaps you could think about getting a tarp and hammock and spending a reasonable amount of money on a sleeping bag. Go to outdoorcode they have Nanok endurance -10 for £66 reduced from £100. And plus the guy who runs the website Andrew is a great and should be able to give you info.

Go to outdoorcode for the rucksack as well because they have a good range and are cheap/ish :) .

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
As far as tents go it all depends on what you are going to do with it??

Are you going to hike with it on your back?
How many are going to sleep in it?
Are you in to camping in any weather conditions?
Do you want to be able to light a fire in it?
Do you camp mainly on campsites or wild camp?
Do you need a tent?

sorry for all the questions but there are so many options and all different prices.

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
Are you going to hike with it on your back? - not really fussed.
How many are going to sleep in it? - more than likely 3
Are you in to camping in any weather conditions? - not winter but scottish weather is rubbish so will be raining lol
Do you want to be able to light a fire in it? - No
Do you camp mainly on campsites or wild camp? - wild camp
Do you need a tent? - do you mean as compared to a hammock ?

Im not very experianced in camping and think id be best off with a tent till im a little more experianced and as i would be goin with friends there not really into the hammock idea for same reasons as me.

i have bought stuff from outdoorcode ill have a look at there rucksacks.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
Rochester, Kent
Bare in mind mate that outdoorcodes Nanoks have been reduced for 1 week only and that according to British Red they won't be available for sale anymore in the UK soon.

Jay

Levi

Feb 11, 2007
North Yorks.
I don't know much about tents, but last time I went out with some ex-forces lads they had Vango tents and insisted they where top notch... haven't looked, but I bet they're pricey.

In all honesty I reckon it would be quicker and easier to put up a tarp (or three) than a tent; plus then you're not all cramped up inside. I suppose it's just down to preference.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
Rochester, Kent
Levi said:
I don't know much about tents, but last time I went out with some ex-forces lads they had Vango tents and insisted they where top notch... haven't looked, but I bet they're pricey.

In all honesty I reckon it would be quicker and easier to put up a tarp (or three) than a tent; plus then you're not all cramped up inside. I suppose it's just down to preference.

And skill :D

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
Rochester, Kent
David.s said:
i must be honest im swaying more towards the hammock and tarp idea.... ill speak to my freinds and try and convince them.

cheers for the help guys.

Well its definately the way to go mate. And plus tents are uncomfortable if you don't have a mat. I know scottish weather can be unforgiving at times :lmao: but if you have a decent sleeping bag and tarp you will love it.

Why are your friend pushed towards a tent rather than tarp and hammock :confused: anyway.

Tents are too expensive also. Let us know what you intend to do mate

Cheers
Jay

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Bushcraft4life said:
Bare in mind mate that outdoorcodes Nanoks have been reduced for 1 week only and that according to British Red they won't be available for sale anymore in the UK soon.

Jay

Argh, noooo! :aargh4: :eek: Someone stop me .... too late! :27: Don't tell SHMBO.

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
scanker said:
Just noticed that they're even cheaper still at Genuine Army Surplus: http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk...egory/categoryid=nanok sleeping bags/rowid=47

I'm tempted to get one as a spare for that money.

It's always 'nice' to see kit being reduced not long after you have bought it :)

As for tents, to have one that is light enough to man pack will cost more ££, having said that if three of you are going you could distribute the bulk and weight a bit.

I like the look of the Hex 3, not cheap though :(

http://www.1outdoors.co.uk/product.php/109/7/#productDetails

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Actually, during colder snaps (not winter but just times with a chill in the air) you really do need either an underblanket or mat in a hammock too.

If there's any wind, a flaw with hammocks no matter how expertly pitched is that sideways rain will get you wet.

and the cost... well... for a very good 3 man tent... around £150 - £200... and 3 hammocks, 3 tarps, 3 underblankets or mats... there is no cost benefit and if it's belting down with rain, you can't share a hammock and play cards.

Plus there's the scottish midge to consider.

There's a time and a place for everything, I love sleeping in my hammocks, I also love my tent and my tipi. Each has advantages and a tent has many.

Joe

Bushcraft4life said:
Well its definately the way to go mate. And plus tents are uncomfortable if you don't have a mat. I know scottish weather can be unforgiving at times :lmao: but if you have a decent sleeping bag and tarp you will love it.

Why are your friend pushed towards a tent rather than tarp and hammock :confused: anyway.

Tents are too expensive also. Let us know what you intend to do mate

Cheers
Jay

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
themac said:
It's always 'nice' to see kit being reduced not long after you have bought it :)

Sorry about that. Torn between exposing a cheaper price and disappointing those that have bought already. :rolleyes:

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
Rochester, Kent
I don't mind paying the extra for my Nanok -10 because the level of service Andrew at outdoorcode gives is second to none. Its only an extra tenner after all.

Tents are great Squidders i have a good one myself but you really can't beat a tarp and hammock, providing weather is decent that is ;) and as for the midges :eek: don't get me started. They still get at you in a tent :) .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
David.s said:
Im looking to get a few more items, main things are a new tent probably a 2-3 man used mostly in scottish weather, but not in winter, i really dont have a clue about makes etc, and im not wanting to spend too much.

other thing i need is a new rucksack. i have one just now but its a bit tatty, i have no idea what size it is, or what size to get i wil be using it for small camping trips, so 2-3 days just top carry basics, cooking tins sleeping bag, food etc.

thanks guys.

David try Adventure one just up from Queen Street station next to Avalanche records, or Clearwater in Argyll Street. There's also a guy sells ex-army stuff at Blochairn Car Boot too; one man protection kits and the like which give a really cheap but good quality basic tarp and pegs for £3.
A lot of Bushcraft is learning to make the best of what you have.

Cheers,
Toddy

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
That's why If I was going to have 1 shelter it would be a tent... where they aren't ideal on a lovely spring or summers evening, they are simply good all year around.

I too love my hammock as I said but they are a niche thing... you can't use them where there nothing to hang them from exists where you can still use a tent in a wooded area and while I have let a few midges in through an open door, non have made it in to my vaude yet.

For 3 people starting out I would have no regrets suggesting a tent where I have seen people sleeping like a saggy banana soaked and unhappy in a hammock before they have a chance to learn the ropes (pun intended) ;)

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
A tent can be very usefull! I find it a bit more versatile because you do not need trees and you can use it in any weather and all altitudes.

It just depends on where you plan to go. Don't jump at tarps blindly or you will get disappointed. A light tent is lighter (and sometimes cheaper) than a tarp, hammock and underblanket.

I started out with a tent and went to a tarp later on when (1) I was able to fully estimate the down/up sides of tarp camping and (2) I could live with the downsides.

Maybe I'm exagerating a bit, but I do most of my trekking in the French Alps and that is not the place to find out that you gear is not what you hoped (or someone told you) it would be. Maybe you won't go so high or far, but just be sure you know what you are doing and you tried the gear out before setting out.

Bjorn

Reactions: Squidders

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
Rochester, Kent
Squidders said:
That's why If I was going to have 1 shelter it would be a tent... where they aren't ideal on a lovely spring or summers evening, they are simply good all year around.

I too love my hammock as I said but they are a niche thing... you can't use them where there nothing to hang them from exists where you can still use a tent in a wooded area and while I have let a few midges in through an open door, non have made it in to my vaude yet.

For 3 people starting out I would have no regrets suggesting a tent where I have seen people sleeping like a saggy banana soaked and unhappy in a hammock before they have a chance to learn the ropes (pun intended) ;)

Smacked it Squidders, David.s get a tent :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE