Ferro Rod Thingys.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I thought we may have a bit of a compare & contrast possible review of Ferro Rods & Associated gizmos.

Photos of the items or links would help.

We have all I'm sure, purchased and used a fair few in our time and have formed opinions about what does and doesn't work.

So who remembers or possibly still even uses the USA Doan Magnesium block ( large matchbox sixed block with ferro rod and chained striker )
I never had a good experience with them personally.

The bigger the better for me in terms of ferro rod.

I find having a stable platform to perch the bottom of the rod on whilst still having enough surface area to spray a good shower of sparks over my tinder works best for me.

I think me ferrocirium rod of choice is about 130mm long including antler handle with about 85mm of that being usable rod.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com
//probably typed on mobile so please excuse typos!

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
I thought we may have a bit of a compare & contrast possible review of Ferro Rods & Associated gizmos.

Photos of the items or links would help.

We have all I'm sure, purchased and used a fair few in our time and have formed opinions about what does and doesn't work.

So who remembers or possibly still even uses the USA Doan Magnesium block ( large matchbox sixed block with ferro rod and chained striker )
I never had a good experience with them personally.
Aye I have experience of the magnesium block to report good things about them, but to say make sure one gets a genuine magnesium block as opposed to some as there is magnesium and there's magnesium. Their only downside as I remember was the time taken to shave a useful pile off. But a ferro rod on the DOAN, I thought it was flint rod on those blocks, not ferrocerium

Reactions: Lost in the woods

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
With any tinder that’ll take a spark from a ferro, the magnesium wasn’t needed. I’ve not been in a situation where I needed the extra umph of the mag. I suppose if it had been survival then maybe.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
With any tinder that’ll take a spark from a ferro, the magnesium wasn’t needed. I’ve not been in a situation where I needed the extra umph of the mag. I suppose if it had been survival then maybe.

So what do you use now ? A stock Ferro Rod?

Have you tried any of the Gadgets above??

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have one Mg-FeCe block and several std FeCe rods, mostly use it to light gas, I still have not figured out how to light Trangias alcohol burner reliably.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Never owned a bespoke one. Just occasionally buy a few and glue-on some rough and ready pine handles as an affordance. I remember I did a batch with handles from some of the kids discarded or busted toys once. The holes just happened to be just the right size.

I do like the look of that great big one in the pic there. It'd be fun to stick it on a grinder for a few seconds.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Here's my experience over the last 17 years or so by brand/vendor:

Light my fire - Very good.
Woodlore /Ray Mears - Excellent.
Mountain Warehouse own brand - hard to get a decent spark, therefore very good for practicing.
The Bushcraft Store - Excellent, even the little striker supplied is multi use and works pretty well.
Cheapo (i.e., not a Doan) magnesium block and striker - slightly worse than useless.

In short, I practice with the poor ones, and carry the decent ones.

Dave

Edited to add - Any that I carry or keep in kits/bags etc get a generous coat of fairly garish nail varnish to prevent corrosion and make them visible.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I bought a pack of 10 on amazon for £14 and I put wooden or antler handles on them. Once you break through the hard surface they produce a good shower of sparks but not the fireworks display I get out of the 'Light my Fire' rod. Here they are but they've gone up in price!

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I bought a pack of 10 on amazon for £14 and I put wooden or antler handles on them. Once you break through the hard surface they produce a good shower of sparks but not the fireworks display I get out of the 'Light my Fire' rod. Here they are but they've gone up in price!

And how do you fair starting a fire into a natural tinder bundle? I ask as a lot of the Gadgets seem to come with a Magnesium option.

Do most here find the Magnesium an unrequired element ?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
And how do you fair starting a fire into a natural tinder bundle? I ask as a lot of the Gadgets seem to come with a Magnesium option.

Do most here find the Magnesium an unrequired element ?

Depends on the tinder of course but scraped birch bark as an example I would expect 100% success - the same with something like cotton wool.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well , I had some spare money in my Paypal account so I've the following coming if anyone wants an impartial review.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Some American outlets are selling what they call an Original Auermetall Firestarter from Treibacher Industrie AG based in Austria.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I like the softer of the misch metals, the ones that chuck blobs of sparkles. There was a small company called FiresteelUK that sold blanks or handled ones. I’ve tried the Light My Fire and others, found them too hard, but this old chucker of sparkly blobs is my favourite.

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
I like the softer of the misch metals, the ones that chuck blobs of sparkles. There was a small company called FiresteelUK that sold blanks or handled ones. I’ve tried the Light My Fire and others, found them too hard, but this old chucker of sparkly blobs is my favourite.

Agreed. I cant seem to find the softer ones these days.
I have Two LMFs and agree whilst good they are still a little hard.

(I am very good at Loosing stuff hence why i no longer have one of my older softer ones - convinced it was a FiresteelUK one. That name suddenly rang a few bells)

Reactions: Nice65

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE