Fenix LD20 beam length

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Hi guys,

I bought the excellent LD20 a couple of years ago, after getting good advice from here, and think it's an excellent bit of kit.

In fact it's so good I bought another one recently as a back-up and sometimes to keep in the car - the thing is whereas the older one can throw a beam to the other end of a field without an issue the new one seems to have a softer and shorter beam. I am guessing it's something to do with the mirror (?) but could anyone tell me if this is the case and if there is anything I can do about it, as I much prefer the longer beam type?

Can anyone help me and shed some light on it? (see what I did there :lmao: :eek: )

Thanks as always

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
In general the wider and deeper the reflector the further it will throw. Also a smooth reflector will throw more than an orange peel type.

Do you know what LED you have in each torch?

I believe they are using an XPG R4 or 5 now which give more flood due to the bigger die whereas if your older torch had something like an XRE R2 or Q5 then these were much more throwy as the die is bright but small and is easy to focus due to the 90 degree viewing angle over an XPG's 125 degree angle.

Nothing you can do with the LD20 if it has a sealed head, my LD10 is sealed so I suppose yours will be also? A new torch needed maybe?

Steve.

Last edited:

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Thanks Steve for the comprehensive and helpful advice mate - I'll check them both out and see what the difference is mate.

Cheers

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
You're absolutely right Steve, the old one is a Q5 and the new one an R4!

What a shame as I really like the older torch and am not too impressed with the new one.

Thanks for the help mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE