Feminine toiletries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

black_kissa

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2006
N/A
For my monthly toiletry needs, I carry a Keeper - and find this very convenient and comfortable. No garbage, either.
Has anyone tried using resources from the land?

Live and Love,
Anneke

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have. I used picked clean, squished dry sphagnum moss folded inside linen handkerchiefs. It works surprisingly well. I don't fancy inserting it though. ;)

Cheers,
Toddy

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Oh dear!!.... :D

I can just imagine the scene.....

Bushcrafter A whilst walking...."Was that a call of a Stag just then?"....

Bushcrafter B ...."No, that was someone using spaghnum moss in a rather different way"!!! :yikes:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry!!!

Phil

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Ahem...sincere apologies Anneke.

I'd never heard of a Keeper before.

Something to consider given the huge pollution caused by people leaving tissues or soiled cotton wool in the natural environment - takes YEARS to break down, not to mention the infectious risk.

Also like the angle of no toxic shock effects. Why don't more women use these?!? :eek:

I'll have to share that great idea with my wife.

Thanks!

Phil

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not surprised :D
Come on guys, we're trying to be discreet :rolleyes: but it is an issue. Consumables don't rot down quickly, it's embarassing to burn them on a shared fire, and the hygiene aspects of insertion.....lets not go there :eek:

Seriously though, if this thread is too embarassing for folks I'll move it and the discussion can continue by pms (Hah! now that's a *good* pun :D )

Mary

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
and back to the subject...... :rolleyes:

aparently untill recently women in africa used dry grass, don't know if it was used internally! ouch! :eek:

my mum told me grandparents used folded cloth like terry nappies held up by some sort of strap, you could improvise?

basically you could use anything absorbant, spagnum moss would seem the ideal! but you could even use fluffy materials like reed mace seeds to make a "pad" more comfortable.

being male i can't really guess too much about effectiveness but i would probably try it at home first!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you have access to *clean* water then natural sponges are very effective too and it's less bother inserting them than mooncups. Rinsing them out has to be done carefully though and technically it's polluting too :(

Cheers,
Toddy

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
mooncups?

oh well...

another thing i thought of, these are only observations and not something i would encourage!

in some strict moslem cultures women going through their period "just don't go out" for the time, considered "unclean".
i saw a documentary about an ancient culture waaaay up in the mountains of pakistan or afghanistan i think.
The women actually had a sort of group "hostel or sanctuary" (seemed more of a prison to me! :( )
all woman from the town would stay in the hostel untill "clean" other people just weren't allowed even to talk to them!
i'm not sure why these rituals started, i guess mainly religion, but there is probably an element of practicality or hygine buried somewhere in it. :dunno:
i can't see why you'd have to leave your family though! :confused:

as i say i don't think it's a good idea to segregate anyone, it's just interesting to see how other cultures deal with the subject.

mabey an element of mutual understanding, with out modern tampons/pads it was somewhere they could relax with out the stigma of "accidents"?

who knows?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
all woman from the town would stay in the hostel untill "clean" other people just weren't allowed even to talk to them!
maybe everyone else was scared of the exponetial effect of PMS with all those women

not just getting my coat but putting it on and running away very fast

very very fast

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mooncup is a bit misleading :D In this vein I had to re-assure a very young *adult* female who had been reading a very poorly done, wiccan book, that no, not all women menstruated at exactly the same time of the full moon,
If it were true though.....Classes at Sandhurst for officers re co-ordination of pmt for the female soldiers of the world's armies :eek: :D
Or, the bushcrafters equivalent :- "No, we are not having a Moot that week!" :D

It was a very good thread that Emma started, Andy. Thanks for remembering about it.

Cheers,
Toddy

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
The tribe that Rappleby is on about are the Kalash people of the North west Frontier Province of Pakistan. These people are not Muslim, but have their own unique "religion" which concernes itself with what amount to Fairies and Elves that they believe come from the mountains and remote areas around the Himalaya and Hindu Kush. The women do go to the Womens House for the duration of their period but they are allowed to talk to others, even their husbands and families through the doorway whilst they are there. The women also go to the Womens House for chldbirth, only returning to their own home and kin after the child is born.

The Kalash people are believed by some to be the decendants of the army of Alexander the Great. Alexanders army certainly passed through the valley where these people live as bridge supports built by them there over the mountain rivers are still in place. The Kalash are certainly nothing like the "ordinary" Pakistanis from further down the mountains. They have fairer skin and many have blue eyes and even blonde, or light coloured hair.

Sorry for the hijack, but I thought it would interest some to know a little about these amazing people. Sandy and I were lucky enough to have the opportunity to spend 2 nights in a small hostel in one of the Kalash villages last year and it was a fantastic experience. These people are far from ignorant, but they live in a way that most of the world left behind hundreds of years ago. With no running water other than the small steam that passes by the village, and one light bulb per house powered by a generator that was only installed a couple of years ago by a Japanese charity.

Here is a picture of the Kalash village nestled against the mountainside. (Hope it works, have had to resize it to load)

Attachments

• IMG_0313.JPG
    IMG_0313.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 119

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
What a fascinating thread. How many ladies do we actually have here? I'm so used to my interests being male dominated.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
cheers for that long strider, :You_Rock_
(not hijacked at all! :) )

i coulden't remember any of the details!
it's a far better explanation!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE