Feedback for Coccoons.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Canalvoyageur

Aug 4, 2008
Staffordshire
Hi Ian, Cocoon suspension, I use shock cord, but I use the stronger one of the range.
No problem of cold spots, but dont laugh, oh go on then, but I sleep very cold, so with the cocoon I use, wait for it, no tittering now,
A Theremerest, an underquilt, A Jacks R Better, Weathershield.
Zip is still a bit of a problem, even with the modification, but following advice already given by Bodge, use of the finger to plough the material away from the zip, works for me, but agree if the zip was the same as used in the Army Sleeping Bags would be a big improvement, at the same time appreciate cost would escalate, dependant on how much would be worth the extra cost..
Overall fine piece of kit, and thanks to you for your time and trouble in organising the group purchase.
Best Regards Bill

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Regarding the zip problem, Snugpak are looking into it. They have tried sewing some webbing onto either side of the zip. I have yet to go in and check it out.
Some people have commented on a cold area underneath you. When I designed the Coccoon I made it so that you could pull your knees up and curl up in a ball. This may have been a bad call on my part. Does anyone sleep in a hammock like this?

I am considering shortening it by about 12"and possibly reducing the width of it . Thought anyone??

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Hi Ian,I sleep curled in the feotal position and still found it developed a cold spot underneath.Shortening the length is a good call,this will reduce the pack size and leave less material hanging below to fill up with cold air.Would it be possible to have some medinm strength elastic fitted to the inner material of the cocoon only on bottom part?I think this would pull the material around the body without compressing the insulation,Just a thought.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Hi Ian,
I have an idea that would solve all fitting problems with the coccoon. BUT it may put the price up too much in the manufacturing.

A coccoon with a built in hammock. By this, I mean the inner layer of the coccoon being the hammock. Obviously to avoid squishing the insulation, the inner layer would have to be smaller than the outer. This is called differential cut. When the outer layer is bigger, it sags down, creating a pocket of air.

If it were possible for Snugpak to make a hammock, then sew a larger layer to the outside, fill it with Softie fill, then have a zip up section on top, also insulated, it would be perfect.

On my insulated hammock, i put darts on each side of the outer pocket, making it bulge out. I'm not sure if I've explained this very well...

OR, a cheaper route might just be to make the current coccoon with the inner layer smaller than the outer. That way you could bring it tight up against the bottom of the hammock without fear of squishing the insulation.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi

Wanderinstar suggested I re-post this question - concerning the possiblity of the coccoon making condensation in a DD travel hammock - from the current group-buy thread to one of the older coccoon threads so here goes:

From http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/sho...9#post56 7849

Hangman said iro a DD travel hammock:

"....... when used as a hammock the waterproofing doesn't breathe and it allows water vapour to condense - the half dozeb times I've used it I've ended up waking up with a damp sleeping bag."

Wildthing said:

"I agree with Hangman
I have had the same trouble with condensation in my travel hammock.
I did advise DD and shortly after they announced the release of the new frontline hammock.
So I definitely wouldn't go for the travel hammock.
Just my opinion, from waking up with a damp sleeping bag as well."

and he later added:

"However, I seem to be in the minority as most other people don't seem to have this problem."

Early riser said:

"I have two travel hammocks from DD which I've used twice along with my son who is 10.
On both occasions his sleeping bag was a little damp on the outside from condensation whereas mine was absolutely dry.
I suspect it may be down to sleeping position; if you lie with you're head to the side facing the fabric then chances are you're going to get condensation if it's cool enough."

So I suppose the qustion is ...... has anyone who uses a DD Travel Hammock had a problem with condesation/damp when using a coccoon that they didn't have when not using it?

I have not seen any reference to this being aproblem but I ask because I currently do not have a problem with the DD hammock - but I use the underblanket and quilt approach and might want to get a coccoon for very cold weather

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
Elines - I have a DD Travel as well as an ENO. Only the DD is waterproof and I haven't to date had any problems with condensation using either. That said I do sleep quite warm so normally have the Coccoon open quite a bit anyway, but I've never woken up with that damp feeling. Well, not in my Coccoon at least... :)

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I never suffered with damp/condensation when using a DD hammock and coccoon combination despite sleeping on my side and my back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE