Compulsory registration for all British bird keepers proposed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
DEFRA are proposing to introduce compulsory registration for all bird keepers in Britain. Not just poultry but aviaries, racing pigeons, even, potentially budgies. We have put together a short video that covers the consultation, it's background and how to give any feedback that you might wish to

Reactions: Kadushu

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't like the sound of that.
We do explain the background in the (short) video. We encourage everyone who has feelings about it (whether in favour or against) to respond to the consultation. It doesn't seem to have been widely publicised so we also encourage people to spread the word!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It makes you wonder too; how long before they start charging folks to be registered ? and in doing so does that drive out the folks who just keep a few hens for their eggs/the pot, or the old fellows with their garden doocots and their pigeons.

I can't see it working. How do they account for all the wild birds that folks feed ? or just have visit their garden because it's a suitable place for them.
My garden alone has everything from crows and woodpigeons to the occasional moorhen and heron.....and about twenty other kinds of birds, on a daily basis.
There are folks around here with garden hens, they too must get visited by those wild birds. That's true right across the country.

It's going to end up like places like Florida where folks can't grow an orange tree in their garden because the commercial growers believe that'll harbour disease.

Best of luck with it.

M

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Maybe it'll be funded by selling our data. Suddenly you find you're getting thousands of emails and targeted ads for chicken arks and incubators! Being an independent body that could be a possibility.

Aside from the cost of registration there may be other mandatory costs for testing, medicating or culling birds for example.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
How the plan will be funded isn't made clear in the consultation - but it's certainly a valid concern to address in your response. I think the most important thing is to spread the word that this is happening and there is a short time for people to give their thoughts (positive or negative)

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
We’re already registered as poultry keepers, I don’t have any issues with it as it allows DEFRA to keep an overview of hygiene, numbers and welfare while issuing targeted local notifications of diseases in your area. I’m also registered as a bee keeper and smallholder. There is no point in getting paranoid about it, it won’t do much good because it is almost certainly going to happen after the irresponsible way many new poultry keepers have been acting during the period when their birds should have been confined in a roofed structure to protect them from bird flu. If people are not prepared to invest in suitable housing then perhaps they shouldn’t be keeping poultry.
Your details are protected under the data protection act.
Toddy said
“My garden alone has everything from crows and woodpigeons to the occasional moorhen and heron.....and about twenty other kinds of birds, on a daily basis.
There are folks around here with garden hens, they too must get visited by those wild birds. That's true right across the country.”
This is the problem with bird flu in a nutshell, many back yard keepers are utterly clueless as to the danger that they pose to themselves or the greater poultry industry with their few unregistered bantams that are sharing feeders, drinkers and exposed to wild birds poop.

Last edited:

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I wonder how effective it would be in reality, are defra or the local authority going to be out checking yards and gardens?

If it is implemented I hope there’s a differentiation in cost/admin between a hobbyist keeping 3 hens and a producer with hundreds.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We’re already registered as poultry keepers, I don’t have any issues with it as it allows DEFRA to keep an overview of hygiene, numbers and welfare while issuing targeted local notifications of diseases in your area. I’m also registered as a bee keeper and smallholder. There is no point in getting paranoid about it, it won’t do much good because it is almost certainly going to happen after the irresponsible way many new poultry keepers have been acting during the period when their birds should have been confined in a roofed structure to protect them from bird flu. If people are not prepared to invest in suitable housing then perhaps they shouldn’t be keeping poultry.
Have you given your views to the consultation?

Reactions: Ystranc

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wonder how effective it would be in reality, are defra or the local authority going to be out checking yards and gardens?

If it is implemented I hope there’s a differentiation in cost/admin between a hobbyist keeping 3 hens and a producer with hundreds.
It's interesting that the original report recommended simplifying registration and removing all compliance monitoring from DEFRA and vesting it in a new, independent & properly funded body. This isn't mentioned in the proposal

Reactions: Wildgoose

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Your details are protected under the data protection act.
Not really. If your details leaked you would need to find out from where and make a complaint. In my experience it would take a number of years to get anywhere and as you're up against the government that has huge experience and resources at getting round the legislation I doubt much would be done.

Personally I cant see the point of yet another law when existing ones are not enforced. The fallen livestock changes should have stopped people burying dead poultry but it only seems to have stopped sensible people from burying dead poultry at a sensible depth whilst the majority seem to dump them in their bin of leave them out for the fox.

I also dont really understand movement licences round here when so many livestock such as cattle are often freely wandering about.

Reactions: ESpy

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Independent and properly funded? To fulfil this role would take thousands of inspectors/staff and vehicles, labs, offices, storage.
Can’t see that happening right now

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Independent and properly funded? To fulfil this role would take thousands of inspectors/staff and vehicles, labs, offices, storage.
Can’t see that happening right now
But without monitoring & enforcement, is there any point in registration?

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Not really. If your details leaked you would need to find out from where and make a complaint. In my experience it would take a number of years to get anywhere and as you're up against the government that has huge experience and resources at getting round the legislation I doubt much would be done.

Personally I cant see the point of yet another law when existing ones are not enforced. The fallen livestock changes should have stopped people burying dead poultry but it only seems to have stopped sensible people from burying dead poultry at a sensible depth whilst the majority seem to dump them in their bin of leave them out for the fox.

I also dont really understand movement licences round here when so many livestock such as cattle are often freely wandering about.
My point was that it is not data harvesting for sale to advertisers as mentioned in the replies above. Yes leaks can happen…but if you’re so worried why do you frequent online forums?
Movement licences track animals being sold or travelling by livestock transport not ambling about their fields, again it is a form of disease tracking and self certification of hygiene rules.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
My point was that it is not data harvesting for sale to advertisers as mentioned in the replies above. Yes leaks can happen…but if you’re so worried why do you frequent online forums?
Movement licences track animals being sold or travelling by livestock transport not ambling about their fields, again it is a form of disease tracking and self certification of hygiene rules.
I didn't say I was worried, just that the I don't feel my data is that well protected by.the various laws especially where the government is concerned. At least on forums I can choose to withhold information.

I'm not referring to livestock ambling about their fields but spending weeks wandering about in other peoples woods, fields and roads.

Going back to these proposals I would be concerned they form some entity to implement the law where you have pay to sign up to and you may have to agree to its terms. One way to get round data laws. Bit like the new firewood laws.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
But without monitoring & enforcement, is there any point in registration?
I guess morally, for the greater good, it is the right thing to do to allow the tracking and tracing (where did we hear that before?) of any cases of flu.

But, as proven all too recently without enforcement it is a bit pointless as those that register set themselves up for sanction whereas those who don’t register go without

Reactions: British Red

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I'm not referring to livestock ambling about their fields but spending weeks wandering about in other peoples woods, fields and roads.
If livestock is deliberately released and is wandering freely across other peoples land where the owner of the livestock does not have commoners rights or a prior agreement with the actual landowner then it’s legally speaking an act of trespass. Strangely this is something I have experienced once when a neighbour mistakenly “returned” a sheep that was not one of mine. Since no harm was done it was a simple matter to split the sheep off and return it to its real owner. Allowing livestock to roam on roads is also illegal. The problem is often caused by fools wandering through and not closing gates properly.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have, May I add for all those worrying about costs, our registration with the Animal & Plant Health Agency (APHA) and DEFRA was free and simple.
I'm delighted to hear it. Our registration and obtaining the correct CPH number was long winded & cumbersome

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE