Fear of the dark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Really? I'd love to hear more.

The internet isn't the place to discuss it. Maybe if you get to a meet I'm at sometime, I will.

On a different note. A very generous fella loaned me a small vid camera to capture our Stachman. Like a twit I deleted all of my BB pms and lost track of who it was. Please contact me if you read this.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
one for you guys to try maybe, or maybe not...... it scared the hell out of me....

go out for a solo night, and take an mp3 player, loaded with War of the Worlds FLIPPIN' HECK!!!

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
You are right, it is because I do not believe most of what I read on this forum.

I am a sceptic, I am open to evidence, I cannot be spoon-fed myth and embellished yarns without questioning or challenging the originator, my sincere apologies for any offence caused but it is the way I am.

If you don't believe anything you read here, why waste your life and read any of it?

The incident I recalled was weird. Personally, I don't believe in ghosts so I reckon it was the wind, animal noise, tricks by the range guys, echoes of our firing and shouting, all sorts. But, it was weird though, really bloody weird!

I still camp out alone though, it hasn't changed anything there. Because I figure if it was a ghost or ghoulie, it won't have followed me, it'll still be there.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
You are right, it is because I do not believe most of what I read on this forum.

I am a sceptic, I am open to evidence, I cannot be spoon-fed myth and embellished yarns without questioning or challenging the originator, my sincere apologies for any offence caused but it is the way I am.

Can't argue with the honesty!

It's healthy to seek the truth around odd or strange stories and I too have trouble believing alot of stories I hear.

There is a rational explanation somewhere but it's not always easy to find.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
heres one, perhaps not very scary and maybe not even very bushcrafty and thinking about it not even related to the dark, but it happened outdoors and freaked me out a little.

In my youth when i went to college, on one fine summer afternoon, me and a mate decided to spend a bit of time relaxing in a field next to the college. We got a little too relaxed and ended up falling asleep...

After some time i was rudely wakened by a horse licking my cheek and another trying to eat the contense of my mates pocket [apparently the horse thought there was something very tastey in there]

Now i don't have a lot of experience with horses, i have seen them in fields and even fed the occasional one a carrot or apple. But i never fully appreciated how BIG they are until one was standing over me and licking my face, we moved away as slowly and quietly as possible then when a little distance away ran like hell laughing like lunatics to the gate and volted over.

The only problem was my house keys had fallen out of my pocket and so i was forced to go back and look for them - and my mate was limping with a bruised thigh the day after.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Hello, all. Joined this forum so I can keep up-to-date with JonathanD's story (any more updates)? I'm wondering how the hell anyone can dig such a big hole on their own. I must say if I'd had a similar experience, I don't think I'd be back there in a hurry

Shingsowa

Forager
Sep 27, 2007
Ruthin, North Wales
What are the odds that on some gardening forum a bloke is running a thread about the scary man who keeps camping in his garden, and ruining his new pond earthworks and muttering about pistachio nuts?

Mikehas36

Jan 21, 2011
Ohio
I have been following this thread from the US for several months, even joined the forum for just this purpose. I am hoping to hear more answers, but dont rush on my account.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I have been following this thread from the US for several months, even joined the forum for just this purpose. I am hoping to hear more answers, but dont rush on my account.

I will try to get out there soon. Been really busy. But I will get there.

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
growing up in the swamps of southern America, there are sounds that will drive you insane. not just frogs etc, but sounds of herons will care you to death if you not use to it. Gators rumble during mating season, weird screech owl sounds like a submarine beeping sound, along with the fears of actually getting eaten by hunry skinny swamp black bears, eastern diamondback 6-8ft long crawling on you at night, even pythons that been released. I had 11footer caught in my yard in Florida. Moniter Lizards that hurricane Andrew released with tigers and monkeys, it can et a little weird, not to mention the zillion biting insect that will drive you insane. Cows die here on the mere fact mosquitos are so thick in swamp, they plug up the cows nose, and they drop dead. I see this alot in the woods. But the worst thing out there, is really your own mind. It plays tricks on you, so you have to face those fears, with a mind set, you face it and die, or you face it and overcome it. When I was in the desert, I had Juagar come to me at night. Very scary deal since they at what they find. maybe it was full that night, and I had cougar nibbling on my toes in Rocky Mountains National Park, which I was to tire and sick I kicked his nose twice then it left. So your worst enemy is really yourself. When you break that fear, you an sleep anywhere, and just let happens happen. no sense stay up all night trying to prevent it. make sure food is out of area, you dont wear greasy smelly foods, and you okay. Skunks seem to be more attracted to people than anything, with raccoons looking for a free meal. Sorpins in desert was a joke, they are not that bad, and they rater avoid you. I slept on desert floor many nights with scorpins eerywhere and not one every stung me, Knock on woods.

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
About a million years ago I used to be heavily into snorkelling, spending most days exploring the bottoms of different lakes.
Me and a couple of friends used to go night swimming at our city's municipal bath, which has a lot of swimming pools and
jump towers outdoors.

Swimming there at night is forbidden, of course, and the place is supposed to be checked regularly by security guards.
One night I went there with a friend and we spent hours playing in the swimming pools. To conserve heat the water
it is covered at night by large plastic covers similar to tarpaulins that are rolled out over the whole swimming pools.

These covers have small holes evenly distributed across the surface which can be pushed on from below the water,
creating a small area to breath from, so You can't really drown under these sheets, if you know the technique.

Anyway, my friend and I are in there when two more guys show up and begin to play rather loudly, running around
on the covers (which is fun) mucking about with a football. Now, the more noise you make the more likely it is it will
attract the security guards who sometimes pass the place in their patrol cars. It would be nice it they could just leave.
After about 20 minutes they sit down on the cover, in the middle of the pool, hanging their legs into the absolutely
ink black water, chatting.

This is in the middle of the 50 meter pool, where there's a half meter gap in between the two covers on that pool.
It's night, pretty dark and these guys haven't seen anyone there... I take a deep breath, swim about 20 meters
under the cover, slows down close to them and suddenly clamp down as hard as I can with both my hands on
one guys calf, just above the foot.

Then I begin to drag him, and the cover, backwards over the pool. I had divers fins on my feet, which made me
super strong underwater. I didn't want to drag him down into the water, so I made my pull horizontally.

After maybe 10 seconds I released his foot and slowly swam back to my friend who was by the edge of the pool.
When we looked over the cover we could see two guys hysterically running towards the horizon, a couple of
hundred meters away.

It is unknown if any of them ever took a bath or a swim again...

;)

Last edited:

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
growing up in the swamps of southern America, there are sounds that will drive you insane. .......

God yes. Camping in Louisiana and Mississippi had its own share of scary encounters with the locals. Not just the creatures residing in the swamps; the homo sapiens sub species - rednecks, are equally frightening.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE