Fear of the dark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have camped out in Leopard territory with no more protection than a fire - and slept well!
I have slept out on railway stations and been terrified all night ... choose the predator to be scared of most!

Reactions: santaman2000

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have camped out in Leopard territory with no more protection than a fire - and slept well!
I have slept out on railway stations and been terrified all night ... choose the predator to be scared of most!
Agreed, I have been caught out in strange areas before. And the safest place to sleep has been church yards.

Reactions: Bishop and TLM

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I was sitting near the gates of a cemetery late last Thursday night when two young ladies walked up. They were obviously frightened and said they needed to go through the cemetary to look for their car keys (they thought they may have lost them there earlier before dark) they asked if I would walk with them as they were afraid.

I told them I'd be glad to walk with them. As we got a few hundred yards into the cemetary we neared the grave they had been visiting. The youngest looking one apologized for being so afraid but I told her there was no need to apologize because it was perfectly normal. I went on and said, "In fact I was just as afraid of cemeteries in the dark back before I died."

I've never seen anybody run that fast.

Jan 6, 2011
Hong Kong
Fear of the dark is actually something you miss a little bit as you get older and everything becomes demystified and explainable. There's something magical about letting your imagination run wild in dark. Makes for good stories around the campfire too.

Reactions: santaman2000

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Fear of the dark is actually something you miss a little bit as you get older and everything becomes demystified and explainable. There's something magical about letting your imagination run wild in dark. Makes for good stories around the campfire too.
This is true. I spend most of my time in the woods now at night. Quiet, no people, more elusive animals, the smell. I love it. There is nothing at all to fear at night in the woods, quite the opposite. It’s fantastic.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Surely you are the apex predator when you camp in the UK?

I want a solid wall and a door when I go "camping here."

I think it's the silence of the big cats. Black bears and grizzlies can be just as quiet.
Getting blasted by a skunk is a life changing experience. Lynx and Bobcats are no big deal.

At the moment, it's 10:30 PM, pitch dark and quite windy with a cold front moving in. No more +32C, maybe +12C. Too windy to hear anything as it whistles in my big front spruce trees . If I had to get something out of my Suburban, parked on the street less that 50' from my front door, it can wait until tomorrow.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
This is true. I spend most of my time in the woods now at night. Quiet, no people, more elusive animals, the smell. I love it. There is nothing at all to fear at night in the woods, quite the opposite. It’s fantastic.

I agree; solo in the woods at night is a primeval and soulful experience.

The Powys Panther has far easier prey to stalk in the fields :)

Reactions: TeeDee

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
...not even pistachio eating people?
in the last 18 months I’ve found a couple of small piles of empty shells in my favourite spots. First time I thought it was him a again which was a bit disturbing as they’re really private places close to home. Turns out it was Poppy. She has a penchant for them :lmao:

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
I grew up in one of the Welsh Valleys where there was nothing behind me but planted pine forest. Used to do a lot of walking with my father there when I was younger but was still uncertain about going there on my own, especially when the mist was down, no sounds, not another soul around.
Still spent many a year building cabins or dens there with other friends and I guess doing bushcraft before it became more known.
Sadly, all been cut down down now.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Surely you are the apex predator when you camp in the UK?

I want a solid wall and a door when I go "camping here."

I think it's the silence of the big cats. Black bears and grizzlies can be just as quiet.
Getting blasted by a skunk is a life changing experience. Lynx and Bobcats are no big deal.

At the moment, it's 10:30 PM, pitch dark and quite windy with a cold front moving in. No more +32C, maybe +12C. Too windy to hear anything as it whistles in my big front spruce trees . If I had to get something out of my Suburban, parked on the street less that 50' from my front door, it can wait until tomorrow.

Pffft... Someone hasn't watched Dog soldiers then...

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I was at LaTrobe Uni in Melbourne for nearly 4 years. From time to time, I really did want to get away from the city, "bush-walking" it was called. I made acquaintance with a German and an Italian student, both felt as I did and we all wanted to mess about in the snow (no snakes). Georg was from place in Germany with shitty snowy winters and Giuseppe was from Tyrol and those winters.

Wandering about alone had little appeal for each of us. Together we made quite a sight with scrounged and mismatched kit. I was the hero = I owned a big enough tent. Find some partners to share skills, experiences and camp chores.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Good question..my girls were scared of the dark when they were younger, so I took them to the woods at night to see the badger/ deers & other animals.
They were amazed how there senses picked up every little sound( especially my youngest as she has bad eye sight.
I told them about how the flick of a light switch has made us fear the dark & to trust your natural senses.
I also ensured them that there really is no such thing as monsters & that they are made up stories.
Only the other month when camping in the woods I heard some stumbling & voices around 2am & though what weirdos are out at this time

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE