Fear of the dark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm going to pop back there in the next week to see what's going on. It's been a perfect summer for him to re-establish his territory. Be fun to see if he has.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I have worked nights for over 20 years, personally I feel more comfortable in the dark than in daylight LOL.

I'm guessing you no longer need a head torch as your body adapts to such a long period of nights?

th

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
When I retired from the Department of Corrections I had worked midnight shift for the last 8 years (apart from annual two week stints on day shift for training) While working at the County Jail we did rotating 12 hour shifts; two days on day shift, two days off, then two days on night shift. During my 21 years in the Air Force, at least a third of that was on night shift.

To be honest, the worst shifts were while deployed for Desert Storm/Desert Shield: the shift was either from noon to midnight, or the reverse (12 hour shifts, 6 days a week, for 7 months)

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I probably posted this before several pages back but here it is again, hopefully close to what I might have said before.

In theory, my hearing is no longer such that sounds would bother me, together with the ringing in my ears, but it isn't so. I have heard animals walking around in the woods near my tent (close enough to hear, anyway). Provided I know what they are, that doesn't bother me. I'm sure humans wouldn't make as much noise. But there are still bad moments.

The most frightening time I've spent in the woods, though not the most uncomfortable, was during a windstorm. Where I go, it is impossible to find a place that isn't under the trees. You're always literally "in the woods." One nice evening it started blowing and turned very cold. But as I lay there very snug in my very old tent and very old sleeping bag, I could hear limbs falling out of the trees. I have read that falling tree branches are the biggest danger of being in the woods.

I don't agree, however. In my own experience, limited though it may be (I have had only one life to live so far), me falling is a greater danger of actual injury and I will even suggest that one is even more likely to experience a bad fall at home, if only because that's where you are most of the time.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
They are great, but it may scare the heck out've a :newbie: I still go out there as I'm pretty sure that I'll survive... but if you said zombes I'd be locking myself in the house like a shot.
GB

Spent a night in the middle of the Ochil hills away from everything to try out a new one-man tent. Not scared of the dark in any way, but was disturbed about every five minutes, by some of the local scout troop asking if this was check point five. They
were on a point to point overnight map and compass exercise, and I happened to have picked a spot midway between two of their check points. A very disturbed night, but
good to see the youngsters getting some good outdoor exercise, even if it was in the
dark staggering about in the rough hillside.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
"I'm scared of it all, God's truth! so I am;
It's too big and brutal for me.
My nerve's on the raw and I don't give a damn
For all the "hoorah" that I see.
I'm pinned between subway and overhead train,
Where automobillies swoop down:
Oh, I want to go back to the timber again--
I'm scared of the terrible town." Robert W. Service

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Been thinking about this thread for a few days... And Pistachio Man! There must be some newbies that haven't met him!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Dark. You have to be out before you can see your scope crosshairs on a tree
to hear the Great Horned Owls have their daily hooting matches.

Robert W. Service walked from a big city to the Yukon. Walked. Name the city.
Not my favorite, either.

We don't go out at night to the vehicles these evenings without a very good flashlight/torch.
Not all of the bears have gone into hibernation yet. Still lots of yummy garbage to snarf on.

Hallowe'en treat candy. The one time in the year when you can expect it to be fresh.
No end of pumpkins to carve and bake. Goes good with grouse or bison.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
surly its pretty normal, you have lost your prime sense, I like the dark myself, you can be unseen as much as anything else, and your hearing comes into its own, it also makes you more switch on, and you really tune into sound, and the night feels truly mystic, I never quite get that with daytime.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
How right you are. My primal senses have been diluted by so many other things.

The night brings so many things: bats, owls and, even a real Flying Squirrel this summer!

My nose makes up smells which don't exist. My hearing suffers from several challenges.
My eyesight is changing quite rapidly. Just the other day, we argued about who had the better vision for a close-up task!
I might be able to walk 50 yards on a good day. My cane compensates for a crappy sense of balance.

Google Youtube for a 3-man musical group called "The Coal Men."
Follow the words to the song: "Depreciate." That's me.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
How right you are. My primal senses have been diluted by so many other things.

The night brings so many things: bats, owls and, even a real Flying Squirrel this summer!

My nose makes up smells which don't exist. My hearing suffers from several challenges.
My eyesight is changing quite rapidly. Just the other day, we argued about who had the better vision for a close-up task!
I might be able to walk 50 yards on a good day. My cane compensates for a crappy sense of balance.

Google Youtube for a 3-man musical group called "The Coal Men."
Follow the words to the song: "Depreciate." That's me.

I'm 47 so I can empathise with the eye sight thing! never been much good anyhow as I'm short sighted, But I'm lucky that I still find youth in my being and do as much as I can whilst it is still with me!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE