Favourite Street Food? Please Answer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I've only had a quick skim through this thread, but I don't recall seeing anyone mention noodles.
Noodles are always my choice.
If I'm honest, I don't like walking and eating. Love a good food van, mind you, but prefer to sit and eat once purchased.

On a related note, when did barbecue pork morph into 'pulled pork'. 'Pulled' just about everything now. It seemed to happen at the same time that macaroni cheese became 'mac and cheese'. How and why did that happen? Did I miss something?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've only had a quick skim through this thread, but I don't recall seeing anyone mention noodles.
Noodles are always my choice.
If I'm honest, I don't like walking and eating. Love a good food van, mind you, but prefer to sit and eat once purchased.

On a related note, when did barbecue pork morph into 'pulled pork'. 'Pulled' just about everything now. It seemed to happen at the same time that macaroni cheese became 'mac and cheese'. How and why did that happen? Did I miss something?

What sort of Noodles? Gimme some details please. Plain in a clear Broth or with bits'n'pieces?

Agree on not enjoying walking and eating - prefer to perch somewhere and study the food.

Pulled pork - I sense its had its day being added to everything and I'm happy to see the back of it. Love pork but not so much pulling slivers of porcine juiciness out of my toothy pegs. Awkward.

Mac'n'cheese - just think thats a natural abbrev.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Squirrel Heads in Gravy. Don't ask for more.
I like curried squirrel. Their common nut diet is good.
Spruce tree seed cones, not so much.

Midwinter, say end of July, Melbourne, Australia. The +4C rain is driving from left to right in the wind.
Street vendors selling a thing(?) called a Chiko Roll.
Maybe a big egg roll wrapper around goodness only knows what's inside?
The damn thing is hot as volcanic lava. Try not to get burnt.
Made me happy for the rest of the whole day.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Wander: "pulled pork" is a technique used in southern USA BBQ ( which is _not_ grilling).
It's a trendy term for shredded smoked meat. I do that here in the mountains at 53N
You have to have sauce and slaw in a bun to do serious eating.
You need a pair of "bear-claw" shredding forks to get it done.
I can carve those from local birch and bake an oil finish into them.

I have done that to a quarter of a pork in N Yorks, back in 2011. We snuck in the spice mix.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Wander: "pulled pork" is a technique used in southern USA BBQ ( which is _not_ grilling).
It's a trendy term for shredded smoked meat. I do that here in the mountains at 53N
You have to have sauce and slaw in a bun to do serious eating.
You need a pair of "bear-claw" shredding forks to get it done.
I can carve those from local birch and bake an oil finish into them.

I have done that to a quarter of a pork in N Yorks, back in 2011. We snuck in the spice mix.
Never been right keen on pulled pork, mostly cos I've still got all me own teeth.
Always seemed a bit close to mechanically reclaimed meat to me.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I like noodles too but can't eat the wheat ones.
One of the best noodle feasts I had was a take away pad tai with ribbon like rice noodles.
Better than chips!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You have to have sauce and slaw in a bun to do serious eating......
You’re partly correct. Pulled pork is indeed proper BBQ rather than grill. However no special tools are needed. When done properly the meat will pull off the bone into that “shred” with an ordinary fork (or even your fingers. Also slaw is a relatively recent addition to the sandwich (since the 1960s or 70s) that many of us still don’t like (cole slaw should be served as a side dish instead)

@Wander Pulled pork is always BBQ pork: but BBQ pork isn’t always pulled pork. Proper pulled pork is ALWAYS pork shoulder slow smoked u til it shreds naturally. How long has it been a thing? Since before my grandfather’s time (he was born in 1888) Is everything being sold today real pulled,pork? Absolutely not.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yes, I've used forks. Tedious. That's all I had in the UK.
I like to carve bear claws the size of my hands to make short work of the task.
The slaw is always on the side. Everybody build their own bun.
It isn't street food.

I still vote for a slow grilled bratwurst, mustard and fine dice onion in a cheap dog bun.
Franchise was called "Mr. Tube-Steak!" Never can pass it up, at least one for certain.
Somebody had the Third & Brunswick street corner unless it was -20C.

Reactions: santaman2000

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
With all the talk of food people can't stomach ( even tripe.. see what I did there.. ) I thought I would bump this thread on lovely Street Food

• Love
Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yeh, but now I've got to go back and re-read all the posts!

Neh, can't be bothered - my favourite all time street food was in the night market in Kuala Dungun, Malaysia - don't ask me what I ate, it was all delicious :)

I also like the Asian street food we get here in the UK at food fairs - samosas, bhajis etc.

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
Dirty fries.
Pulled pork covered with french fries and coleslaw.
Messy but delicious.
Hot Italian sausage with grilled peppers and onions with a bit of tomato sauce on a crusty bun.
Jon

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Not that long ago I had what I think is a killer idea for street food.
Now, imagine an ice cream cone.
Keep that image in your mind.

But replace the cornet for something made from a taco shell. Same shape as a cornet, but made from a taco shell.
Replace the ice cream with mashed potato.
Replace the chocolate flake with a sausage (could be a good old pork sausage, could be a frank, could be a cumberland, could be veggie).
Replace the sauce and sprinkles with gravy (but could be tommy K, sauerkraut, or whatever you fancy).

Now, is that a great idea or is that a great idea?
Is that an act of a genius or a bloody idiot?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Not that long ago I had what I think is a killer idea for street food.
Now, imagine an ice cream cone.
Keep that image in your mind.

But replace the cornet for something made from a taco shell. Same shape as a cornet, but made from a taco shell.
Replace the ice cream with mashed potato.
Replace the chocolate flake with a sausage (could be a good old pork sausage, could be a frank, could be a cumberland, could be veggie).
Replace the sauce and sprinkles with gravy (but could be tommy K, sauerkraut, or whatever you fancy).

Now, is that a great idea or is that a great idea?
Is that an act of a genius or a bloody idiot?

Going to lack the element of textural contrast I think. Its mostly all going to be soft ( Giggiddity ) - and the mash may be cold by the time you get to the bottom - cold mash is no fun.

Knock one up in the kitchen and see what you think?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Taco shell cone, squirt of tomato sauce and a handful of skinny chips.... it'd be like a savoury version of the choc dip thing with plain fingers.

Y'know what would be better though, the same cone and sauce and something like battered halloumi fingers, or veggie sticks or even fish or chicken fingers.

I think curry sauce would be excellent :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE