Favourite camo pattern?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
DSC02078.jpg

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Ah yes the old..."unknown camo" trick
(the last picture was a photo of the bark of a London plain tree turned 90 degrees).

it would work in a mostly green background but would not break up the wearer much it would need some much darker or much lighter areas to give a "see through" effect as seen on most camo patterns, otherwise it would "blob out" at a very short distance.

"Blob out" = term used to describe the effect of the colours blurring and or joining together to form a solid colour.
(technically the bigger and bolder the pattern the further the blob out distance i.e. patterns lthat have tiny patterns like this:
Note: Niether camos really work here but notice the left ACU Marpat looks more like one solid colour (light grey), but the DPM (right) looks more like it is sliced up and tricks the eye into thinking it could possibly see through.
A2.jpg

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Message from Camo Pedant:

Not ACU MARPAT - just normal ACU digicam. MARPAT = Marine Pattern, has a lot more brown and yellow in it, more like CADPAT.

God, I'm such a loser.....

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:lmao:
Message from Camo Pedant:

Not ACU MARPAT - just normal ACU digicam. MARPAT = Marine Pattern, has a lot more brown and yellow in it, more like CADPAT.

God, I'm such a loser....
oops :eek: slapped wrists i should know better!

therea re so many new ones out i think the army bought out three and then the marines and US Airfoce and Canada all bought a new pattern out around the same time so it's easy to get confused!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
In case anyone is interested I came across this discussion on another forum and if you like camo designs you'll love this (picture heavy)
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106738

also if you want to see a selection of camo's tested this is a good site (it's German but there is a british translation in the right hand links)
http://www.camotest.de/gallery/index.php
it even tests quite a few of the camo patterns mentioned on this thread in different surroundings including Auscam, Flecktarn, Tigerstripe and even the Ridiculous "sore thumb"ACU digicam! (called ACU AT on their site)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I like the very old style DPM as seen top middle of this kit:
MUR_falklands_kit2.jpg
Yes it's much lighter but during TA training i was issued 2 85 pattern combat suits one was more oliveyDPM the other was more like todays DPM much darker.
a couple of guy's used the "Old pattern" issued (pre-falklands issue) the suit it's self was far better quality and the camo always seemed to work better, i think because it was a lighter shade.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:confused: There are alot of "fashion camo" designs out there, I'm Highly suspicious of the effectiveness? has anyone ever done a trial?

Big Steve

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2006
Gloucester
Bulgarian frogskin is an excellent conversation starter in supermarket queues...http://www.kamouflage.net/camouflage/00083.php .... I bought a coverall from a dealer in Bulgaria on evil Bay and then converted it into (roomy for the husky gentleman) cargo pants. They may have screamed to some troopie "AIM AT THIS IDIOT!", but you would have been one seriously cool Bulgarian corpse.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:rolleyes: Nice!

I like the old "Cold war" camo designs, i used to have a "Tan and water" (marsh camo)
german jacket and a DDR? raindrop camo poncho and bag.

i never really figured out if they would have worked in anger but cool none the least.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Swedish splinter or German flecktarn, but the genuine Swedish gear is such good build quality. So the Splinter winds out.

Sandsnakes

D

Deleted dude 7861

Danish M84 Flecktarn - I have just about everything in this it's awesome in spring/summer one of the best camos. Also really like Swedish M90 and Auscam, I have a few t-shirts in this too. Camo's ok as long as it's different to what the army wears in your country otherwise you are bordering on Walt territory

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:cool:
I like it!

I instantly thought it was French, then US woodland then???

It's sort of a copy of the old US woodland in French colours

Nice!
PS i like the DDR raindrop camo waterbottle!(on the floor of the wardrobe)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE