Fave camo/ muted colour!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
DPCU (=oztralian camo pattern) and the pattern of the NVA

i have only a compass pouch and a larger belt pouch in DPCU, but used several NVA items in my younger days. i found the pattern quite effective in europe (thanks to intolerant humans a lot of my outings back then were some sort of hide-and-seek...)- the brown stripes ""disappear"" when you're a few metres away (which would make it a choice for folks who do'nt want to be seen but do'nt want to get odd looks from others for wearing camo...)

most of my stuff these days comes in plain olive/green

Last edited:

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I love Camo patterns me although I don't own a lot of it anymore, I mostly wear OG nowadays. I've some Flecktarn someplace, some Jack Pyke English Oak and a Sumpfuster over smock again in the back of a cupboard somewhere. Ain't seen it in a long time.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Given the same kind of jacket I would rather a muted colour than a cammo but cammo jackets are often of good quality and waaaaay cheaper than the equivalent non issue jacket.

So after saying that I have a MTP lightweight goretex jacket and a British Army PCS MTP Combat Smock and they are both good quality garments with a good cammo pattern.
Its not so dark as the 90s DPM which I always though was too dark unless you were in the middle of a bush. Against leaf litter DPM is pretty crap.

I'd rate MTP as one of the best patterns out there.

Plus there's not quite so many failed territorial army candidates ambling round town in it, so at the moment it doesn't make one look like quite as much of a Walter Mitty, no doubt they will catch up on it eventually.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
One thing of note, while in the woods I use a flecktarn tarp and a DPM bivvi. In the city the best camo you can get is a hivi vest and a clipboard...

J

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I've always liked DPM just because it was British (I'm an American, naturally) but of the five or six things I have, they're all a little different from each other. In fact, I just bought a hood that fits a 90-pattern field jacket. At some point I notice the British started calling a smock a field jacket. I also think the old French lizard pattern is interesting but for actual camouflage purposes, I think plain olive green or olive drab is just as good.

Did you ever notice that all photos of the latest and greatest camouflage patterns are taken from a distance of about ten feet?

IfInDoubt

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2013
Up North and Down South
I have been impressed by ATACs (apparently works well in urban environment too).

For sheer comedy value look at the US Navy's latest digi-blues

Now I'm off to Google Kryptek Mandrake (I think he's one of the X-Men or someone off star trek)

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
I have been impressed by ATACs (apparently works well in urban environment too).

Now I'm off to Google Kryptek Mandrake (I think he's one of the X-Men or someone off star trek)

Aesthetically, I've never liked atacs. It looks to me like the cam the rebels wore in Return of the Jedi and I'm not convinced it's better than dpm side by side but that's only fairly close in (sub 100 metres). It is better for urban though.

http://www.kryptek.com/kryptek-camo-patterns/
there you go fella. I do have an unhealthy man crush for kryptek :)

IfInDoubt

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2013
Up North and Down South
Aesthetically, I've never liked atacs. It looks to me like the cam the rebels wore in Return of the Jedi and I'm not convinced it's better than dpm side by side but that's only fairly close in (sub 100 metres). It is better for urban though.

http://www.kryptek.com/kryptek-camo-patterns/
there you go fella. I do have an unhealthy man crush for kryptek :)

whoa, just had a quick look at the jedi costumes and ii think youre right, might stick to the shiny white stormtrooper camo!!

Thanks for the kryptek link, not for me i'm afraid, a bit OTT for my taste, and as for the neptune - looks like something the spice girls would wear

Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D

Lol I just looked a the US navy camo and had a good laugh: what on earth were they thinking? Also check out the Belgian jigsaw camo: it's literally fluorescent!!!!

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
It was entirely for camouflage purposes, although it was plain, but in WWII the US Navy introduced grey uniforms because they wouldn't show up so much against the grey color of a ship. Don't know when they went out of style. It's really all about style.

I think the only other navy in the world to ever wear grey was the Confederate States Navy.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Lol I just looked a the US navy camo and had a good laugh: what on earth were they thinking? Also check out the Belgian jigsaw camo: it's literally fluorescent!!!!

Indeed ~ bright ... but colours blend together and appear darker the further they are from the observer.

In the video below you'll spot him most of the time because he's trying to show how effective the patterns are in the mid ground ~ and generally it's shape rather than his clothing which give him away. But, in the main, you see him because you know he's _somewhere_ in the frame ;)

[video=youtube;UEC7NmKfhT8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEC7NmKfhT8&list=PL3kh fSiedNsg0jWLjaxxU0beGSCzZJbAa& index=35[/video]

(no connection to the youtuber or the channel)

The same can be said of Swiss Leibermuster / Alpenflage ~ It's got red, white and mouldy green bits in it. It's surprisingly effective when used correctly ;)

I have a soft spot for Alpenflage :D .

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Didn't the british navy conclude (after faffing with modern art monochrome patterns around ww1) that light pink was the best camouflage for ships? In theory it made them indistinguishable from the sky close to the horizon that allegedly is of a pink hue even when you don't notice. Didn't catch on, but for the SAS who much later painted their landrovers pink in the first gulf war.

As per bluetrains post above, I guess the navy uniforms would have been pink too. Perhaps a bit rich for sailors of the 1930's...

I wonder if wool isn't the best material for personal DPM material. I have a Barbour sweater that's knitted with a multitude of earthy colours. Looks monochrome from a distance and you can only tell the colours apart close up. But the interesting thing is, it seems to "soak up" the colours of the surroundings, especially in daylight.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Didn't the british navy conclude (after faffing with modern art monochrome patterns around ww1) that light pink was the best camouflage for ships? In theory it made them indistinguishable from the sky close to the horizon that allegedly is of a pink hue even when you don't notice. Didn't catch on, but for the SAS who much later painted their landrovers pink in the first gulf war.

Using pink as a camouflage in the desert goes back as least as far as the Second World War ~ we even had a few pink Spitfires ;) . I'm not sure when the term Pink Panther/Pinkies came into use for pinked desert vehicles :dunno:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE