Fancy being buried under a Tree?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
It's such a good idea, I've already got my pitch sorted out in Brighton along with my wife alongside me. I've also got my coffin planned.
imageview.jpg

This place is a very good source for those that don't want a "conventional" burial. Natural death centre.
You can also choose you own native tree to be used instead of a cold headstone.

Martin

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I've always wanted a Viking chieftan burial - you know, on the burning ship sent out to sea. Trouble is finding suitable servants, as their traditional role is to cast themselves into the fires too.
But then I've also thought that when (if?) I hit 80 I'll jump off Trollryggen, so you shouldn't listen to me talk about dying. Would be fun though

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I hope children and pregnant women won't read this thread. There is a forensic research center where donated remains are allowed to decompose to help determine relative time of death under different conditions. The average human remains take longer today due to the lifelong consumption of food preservatives. In Tibetan Buddhism the practise of sky burials takes place. The deceased gives one last gift to creation by offering himself as a meal to vultures after ritual dismemberment. As an archaeologist, I intend a traditional internment with red ochre and flowers along with my tool kit. I think it would be cool to be excavated in the distant future and see their faces when they realise what I was. I do intend to have some non deteriorating I.D. on me. If I have to wind up in a collection tray or freezer like Oetzi a number would be so distastfull.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
arctic hobo said:
I've always wanted a Viking chieftan burial - you know, on the burning ship sent out to sea.

I hope to have my ashes join A W Wainwrights at Innominate
Tarn when my time is up. One of the best bits of the Lakes :wink:

Cheers,
Simon

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
arctic hobo said:
I've always wanted a Viking chieftan burial - you know, on the burning ship sent out to sea. Trouble is finding suitable servants, as their traditional role is to cast themselves into the fires too.
I agree on that. :D The Christian one is too boring IMO, i have more pity for myself, because of the hard chairs in the church. They hurt ones back. :wink:

arctic hobo said:
But then I've also thought that when (if?) I hit 80 I'll jump off Trollryggen, so you shouldn't listen to me talk about dying. Would be fun though
Why such an early age? My granddad is 90 this year and he's still goin' pretty strong. :biggthump

BTW, maybe this fits better in other chatter as it's not really bushcrafty? :?:

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I heard about a company that will cremate you, take your carbon and press it into an artificial diamond. I suggested it to my wife and she scoffed at the idea. "Who would want a diamond with that many flaws!" Mac

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
not really thought about it, though a "cremation just to make sure" is a possible.

burial seems a much more sedate way,(very sedate if you've died!).

to be honest once i've gone i'm not too bothered what happens to my body, (not medical research though (yuk)).

my step father died and though we loved him dearly and miss him very much i don't think anyone in the family has sat by his grave as you would expect.

i guess the memoiries are enough?

bit morbid realy in't it.

:shock:

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
arctic hobo said:
Its so hard to find good help these days :wink: .

Viking burials are illegal I'm afraid as you would be a hazard to shipping.
There are actually very few rules as to how and where you can be buried. The only major one is you can't be close to a water source (200m I think).
A chap near where I used to work had his wife buried in the back garden, some might think that that would devalue the property but I think it's rather nice.

Dave Farrant

Forager
Apr 16, 2003
Lancashire
The responses took a turn I did not expect so I moved the thread.

I like the idea of returning to the soil and helping a tree grow.

Cemetery at night = Creepy :yikes:

Woods at night = Somewhere to set up my hammock? :biggthump

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Well, how about going to Sweden where a company offers to freeze-dry you and then shake you into dust? :shock: I think thats for the pyrophobes!

Personally i don't like the idea of being buried, nor do i like the idea of cremation. I would prefer to be lef ontop of a mountain and frozen in the snow. Not clausteraphobic and if i wake up i won't be trapped!

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
While I like the idea of having a tree planted over me when I pop my clogs, I do also like what they do in Tibet! Sky burial, basically they just leave on a platform in the mountains and let the vulture come and peck away, until there nothing left of you!

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
ChrisKavanaugh said:
In Tibetan Buddhism the practise of sky burials takes place. The deceased gives one last gift to creation by offering himself as a meal to vultures after ritual dismemberment.
DOH!.....missed this one!

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Rollnick said:
Personally i don't like the idea of being buried, nor do i like the idea of cremation. I would prefer to be lef ontop of a mountain and frozen in the snow. Not clausteraphobic and if i wake up i won't be trapped!
Not trapped, no (although you wouldn't be able to move), but you'd die a whole lot slower that way! :shock:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
I have always fancied being buried under a tree. It gives a very direct way in which you return to nature once more and something for others in the future.

When Lancelot "Capability" Brown the famous landscape designer of the C18th had planted out trees in his wonderful gardens and parks, they used to move whole mature trees and positioned them precisely in the landscape. It was common practice, that in order to provide nutrients for the tree after such an ordeal, a dead horse or similar animal would be chucked in the hole so that it would feed the tree as the animal rotted down gently. I can't think of anything much better than being part of an old oak tree in years to come like they have at Longleat House for example,with young kids clambering all over it :)

Mind you, I do love old gravestones so probably would arrange for a nice stone to be carved with a few esoteric symbols and placed nearby, just to get some people guessing about it's meaning in a thousand years or so :wink:

kt-skull_bones-1999.jpg

skull & crossbones from Swedish cemetery circa C18th (there was no name, just a cross scratched on the graveslab :wink: ). 1999.

My brother quite seriously looked at the possibility of having his ashes made into one, big firework! which I always thought was a great idea; definitely the way to go 'with a bang' :)

Dave Farrant

Forager
Apr 16, 2003
Lancashire
Moonraker said:
When Lancelot "Capability" Brown the famous landscape designer of the C18th had planted out trees in his wonderful gardens and parks, they used to move whole mature trees and positioned them precisely in the landscape. It was common practice, that in order to provide nutrients for the tree after such an ordeal, a dead horse or similar animal would be chucked in the hole so that it would feed the tree as the animal rotted down gently. I can't think of anything much better than being part of an old oak tree in years to come like they have at Longleat House for example,with young kids clambering all over it :)
How did they move mature trees?
It took me several weekends to take one down let alone move it. :?:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Arctic Hobo, i'd much rather die cold that with feeling of being buried 6 ft under! And it would take much longer to die underground as it would be warm...:wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE