Fallkniven TK2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day everyone.

Here's a review I did of the Fallkniven TK2 after 6 months of continous use. It was originally posted on the Fallkniven forum around the middle of last year.

I hope its OK to share it here.

Bushcraftpotential.jpg

TK2blade1.jpg

First up the stats.
All of the measurements have come directly from the Fallkniven website http://www.fallkniven.com/tk/us-tk1... I have added some additional comment which appears in italics.

Total length: 215mm (8.4 inches)
Blade length: 100mm (4 inches)
Blade thickness: 4.5mm (0.18 inches) with a distal taper
Weight: 145g (5.1 oz)
Steel: 3G (a laminated steel with an edge of SGPS @ 62RC & external laminates of VG2 @ 59RC).
Handle material: Thermorun
Sheath: Full covering black leather (although it also a good fit in the F2 kydex sheath).

The balance point on my TK2 is right at the start of the single finger grove, placing it over the first finger. The handle is a checkered thermorun material with subtle contouring.

The knife came with a functional black leather full covering sheath. A fold over flap covers the handle and is secured with a press stud.

In Use
During the 6 months of continous use, I have used the TK2 in a range of environments including 2 week long saltwater fishing trips, 1 freshwater flyfishing trip, countless occasions in the kitchen and on day walks in the bush with the kids. It was the only fixed blade I carried for a wet 6 day bushcrafting trip into a remote location within the Aussie bush during winter last year.

Fishing
The TK2 performed well in all fishing related tasks. It prepared bait, cleaned and filleted numerous fish.

Scalingabream1.jpg

Gutingfish1.jpg

Filletingtheflathead1.jpg

FilletedFlathead1.jpg

The defined point is an advantage in performing Iki jimi on fish destined for the table.
AnotherFlatheadforthetable1.jpg

On a freshwater flyfishing trip, the TK2 was also used to humanely dispatch all European carp caught.
P10305401.jpg

P10305361.jpg

Even when covered with fish slime, the knife felt secure in hand at all times.

The corrosion resistance of 3G is good. With a wash at the end of the day, the 3G blade continues to show no signs of discolouration or rusting after many hours in and around saltwater.

IMO, synthetic sheaths are an advantage in wet environments. So it came as a pleasant surprise to find out the TK2 is a good fit in the Fallkniven F2 Kydex sheath.
TK2intheF2Kydexsheath1.jpg

In the Kitchen
This knife works very well in the kitchen. Its distal taper & convex edge makes it a real slicer. Even when cutting harder vegetables like carrots, the knife slices more than it wedges.

Thinlyslicedonion1.jpg

Kitchenduty21.jpg

Kitchenduty11.jpg

Drawcutinprogress1.jpg

Done.jpg

IMO, it also works well as a bonning knife and has bonned out & diced several legs of lamb for curries.
Progresspic11.jpg

Debonnedleg1.jpg

Cuttingintocubes1.jpg

The knife has also see use in carving roasts although a blade longer than 100mm (4 inches) is generally a better choice for this task.

Carvingalegoflamb1.jpg

Carvingalegoflamb21.jpg

Bushcrafting
Even though I originally acquired the TK2 with bushcraft in mind, I must admit that when I closely looked at the knife for the first time I had reservations about the robustness of the tip. The distal taper and swedge thins the blade, creating a fine tip.

As most of the trees in the Aussie bush are hardwoods, a knife suitable for bushcraft work over here must be up to cutting seasoned hardwood. As I wasn’t in a position to immediately head bush to test the knife when it arrived, my preliminary testing of the knife was on a seasoned hardwood retaining wall at the side of the house. As you can see, the TK2 is a good slicer of seasoned hardwood, with the tip holding up well.

Morecurls.jpg

Shavingsharp1.jpg

I have further tested the tip strength by using it to open a dozen oysters for a feed.....
P10307041.jpg

P10307081.jpg

....and by using it to drill/shave a hole in a 2.5cm (1 inch thick) piece of seasoned hardwood.

Holeinprogress1.jpg

Hole1.jpg

A 6 day winter bush trip was a particularly wet one with it raining for 5 out of the 6 days. This meant the TK2 saw a stack of use from the campfire to the camp kitchen.

TK21.jpg

The TK2 made very light work of removing bark from a weeks worth of firewood to speed up the drying process.

Strippingbark1.jpg

Strippingbark21.jpg

Being only 10cm (4 inch) long, battoning often required striking the tip of the TK2. As the video linked below shows, the TK2 was used to split knotty wood and after a weeks worth of battoning the TK2 shows zero signs of damage to either the tip or the edge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkpn1_SaKvc

The TK2 also provided us with ample shavings for use as kindling throughout the week.

Shavingsforkindling1.jpg

The next two videos give a good indication of how well the TK2 slices seasoned hardwood and the kind of working edge 3G can hold with regular use. Bear in mind they were taken on the last day when it was dry enough to get the camera out from under cover and on a tripod for filming. The edge shown is after 5 days of solid use without touching up the edge at all.
As the video shows, even though the TK2 shaved through Knots, it still keeps going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je8CgtP1-jU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaM9xNk0z-Q

About the only suggestion I can make to improve the TK2 as a bushcraft knife would be to give it a more oval handle. With regards to the checkering of the thermorun handle, even though I used it extensively for prolonged periods throughout the weeks bushcrafting trip, I did not develop or look like developing any hot spots. Bear in mind however, that my hands are accustomed to manual work. For those whose hands are not, you may notice the checkering in prolonged use. A rub with some sand paper would be all that's needed to smooth out the handle if it becomes an issue.

Summing up
Over the 6 months of continous use, I’ve been consistently impressed with the robustness & sheer cutting ability of the TK2. The combination of great balance, distal taper and convex grind makes this knife a wicked and robust slicer that is equally at home on the water, in the kitchen or out in the bush. Combine this with the excellent edge holding of the 3G steel and the TK2 is a winner.

With regards to ease of sharpening, to be honest I haven't had any problems.

To finish off, IMO anyone who is looking for a versatile knife that can be successfully used in a range of tasks and holds its edge extremely well, should consider the TK2. It's definetly worth a look.

Thanks for looking.

Kind regards
Mick

Last edited:

legin

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2009
Spalding
Mick, nice review, thanks. I've got a Fallkniven S1 and obviously hope it will serve me as well.

Nigel.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Very comprehensive sir!
Do you just strop in the field or do you have any other 'touch up' sharpening tips?
My best.
Chris.

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day guys

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you liked the review

.....Do you just strop in the field or do you have any other 'touch up' sharpening tips?
I either use a hand held Fallkniven DC4 stone to maintain the convex edge or a field version of a combination leather hone / strop.

The field hone/strop is basically a thin piece of wood with leather stuck on both sides.

Leatherbacking1.jpg

If the knife needs more than a strop with leather, I use drawing pins to hold some wet & dry abrasive across the leather. I can then hone the edge before stropping with the bare leather to finish off.

Readytogo1-1.jpg

It and a range of precut abrasive grits will all fit inside a zip lock sandwich bag.

Rangeofgritssizespacked1.jpg

Fitsinsideziplocksandwichbag1.jpg

Kind regards
Mick

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Salad

...Does the spine of the blade give sparks off a fire steel?, I know my tk3 pocket knife does.
Ta
The first inch (2.5 cm) from the guard has a nice squared spine & will throw sparks from both firesteels & mischmetal rods. Past this, the swedge grind seems to have rounded off the spine a bit & doesn't work as well.

BTW, what do you think of the TK3?

Kind regards
Mick

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
G'day Salad

The first inch (2.5 cm) from the guard has a nice squared spine & will throw sparks from both firesteels & mischmetal rods. Past this, the swedge grind seems to have rounded off the spine a bit & doesn't work as well.

BTW, what do you think of the TK3?

Kind regards
Mick

Hi Mick

I love my TK3 ,It has a good solid feel and I find it very easy to keep sharp.It is the knife I tend to use most of all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE