Facebook

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I HATE THEM DAMN SITES, my misses seems to love em and spend most of her spare time feeding some imaginery animals on a imaginery farm that is on the site in question,not to mention small talk with people she went to school with, i just dont see the point.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I HATE THEM DAMN SITES, my misses seems to love em and spend most of her spare time feeding some imaginery animals on a imaginery farm that is on the site in question,not to mention small talk with people she went to school with, i just dont see the point.

Your wife hasn't got a twin by any chance? It's just that you just described my wife :rolleyes:

Never really got the point, to be honest. Much prefer Twitter.

Now that's one site I have never ever been interested in, not even looked at it.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Bad

A friend of mine's wife has very low self esteem and made up a story about an imaginary affair he was having and then broadcast it to the world. It was very upsetting for the other couple involved who are happily married.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi all, facebook and twitter can cause all sorts of problems to a lot of people
regards dave

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
As with any other facet of life, it has the capacity to benefit or otherwise those whom use it.

As a research tool, it has its uses.

As a means of communication, I personally dislike it would not use it.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I disagree. Personally I find it an easy tool to keep in touch with old friends. Months used to pass without me finding time to write emails to people, using facebook I can have a quick look at what people are up to while having a coffee and message anyone I want quickly and easily. I find that keeping in touch with people has become a routine part of my day rather than something I have to set time aside for. Other people use the games and applications of course, not my cup of tea but each to their own. I'd certainly not criticise the site on the basis of some people having a bit of an addiction to it, or because someone told a whopper of a lie using that website. If someone spread a nasty lie on BCUK would that make this site BAD too? It's people that are the problem, not any specific site. I remember reading all kinds of horror stories in the media when friends reunited became popular about old flames running off together and people being persecuted by their school bullies. The issue wasn't the site being the work of Satan, it was a handful of people doing things they'd have done anyway in one way or another. Just my opinion of course.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I too use facebook as a tool to communicate with friends and previous clients.

Facebook has enabled me to regain contact with friends that sadly I had lost contact with.

Any tool can be misused whether it be a knife or a social networking site.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I disagree. Personally I find it an easy tool to keep in touch with old friends. Months used to pass without me finding time to write emails to people, using facebook I can have a quick look at what people are up to while having a coffee and message anyone I want quickly and easily. I find that keeping in touch with people has become a routine part of my day rather than something I have to set time aside for. Other people use the games and applications of course, not my cup of tea but each to their own. I'd certainly not criticise the site on the basis of some people having a bit of an addiction to it, or because someone told a whopper of a lie using that website. If someone spread a nasty lie on BCUK would that make this site BAD too? It's people that are the problem, not any specific site. I remember reading all kinds of horror stories in the media when friends reunited became popular about old flames running off together and people being persecuted by their school bullies. The issue wasn't the site being the work of Satan, it was a handful of people doing things they'd have done anyway in one way or another. Just my opinion of course.

Yeah', but you're the kind of bloke wot points a gun at kitty's!
happy0009.gif

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
I too use facebook as a tool to communicate with friends and previous clients.

Facebook has enabled me to regain contact with friends that sadly I had lost contact with.

Any tool can be misused whether it be a knife or a social networking site.

Aye, well said Wayne - I use it for the same reasons, a lot of my freinds are in far off lands and it's a great way to keep in touch.

Facebook to me is a useful tool to keep in touch with friends and family, I have even used it in researching my family tree, trying to trace a distant cousin, which worked and went well.
However I do find all those apps annoying, Jim Bob has fed a pig today and built a barn in the imaginary world, but when you know how to turn the updates off it makes everything much nicer. :)

Now twitter is one I can't get my head around, who on earth wants to know you are sitting on the toilet with the computer. Yes I'm all for keeping in contact but to know when people's daily bowel movements are is a bit too far.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It is a tool for short term communications. As such it works kind of ok (it is much worse than IRC or Usenet, but the latter two lack the ability to have cute avatars, and therefore facebook is more popular). But! It is also a tool for gathering an immense amount of private information all in a handy database.

I have recently started to use it in order to keep track of some people and groups (for some bizzare reason the Swedish Survival Guild uses it, e.g.). But my interests are painting with nematodes and sitting still, my favourite music is a cave painting, and my favourite movie is the Wiener Sängerknaben singing the New York telephone directory (much better than the Mormon Tabernacle Choir rendation of the Ford 1972 F-100 repair manual). See also "The Privacy Song" (Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE