Expedition summer 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I must admit my weekend kit is small now compared to what it was (ask Ed or Stuart) I'm the same if its for a couple of days or so then I rarely take a change. Just trying to think whether we'll need to take a 'dry' set then what to take in the way of waterproofs etc.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Andy - take a look at the map below.
As for waterproofs, I don't think that anything more than a poncho is necessary for when it rains. If we fall in, only a full on drysuit will keep us dry, which is £150-£300, and impractical. If it's shorts weather, they will best - quick drying and not restrictive when wet.
And quite irrelevantly, we share a birthday Lithril! :biggthump

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I must admit I'm quite partial to split trousers/shorts (zipoffs), depends on what the temperatures are likely to be though, I'll have a nose around at some point. For the moment I'm trying to find a source of detailed maps like our OS ones.

Sweet, never looked at your profile before.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The fold up canoes are good and less bulky than rafts. However they require more skill to use especially when loaded with kit going down a grade 3 rapid. i think as a group we need to try out each method and come to an agreement as to whats the most useful. There is the national watersports place at Nottingham. Lithril Woodmill in Southampton are offering whitewater rafting trails and canoeing stuff.

What does everybody think?

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
A couple of goes at the concrete white water at Holme Pierpoint (the national watersports centre) in Nottingham would be a very good idea....just make sure you've all had your jabs....to be fair it was 10 years ago since I went last but when there on my college course half of our students ended up ill and one in hospital!!!! She had Wiel's and was quite ill with it....three days in hospital.....so make sure you keep those cuts and stractes covered! :yikes:

As has been said, Rafts are heavier, more awkward, slower and not as romantic but they are very stable, safer for white water and can be foot pumped (no need to carry gas at all).
Canoe's look and feel the part (we want to enjoy this trip), are faster and lighter and can be split between members to carry (they are also used with single blade paddles....no kayak paddles except for kayaks!) but...they aren't as stable, they take time to learn to paddle, can sink/fload when up turned if they don't have air bags in them and there isn't as much room in them (can't see this being a problem).

I really would forget lifejackets, they are not designed or meant for canoeing whereas bouyancy aids are....as I said you can get them so small and thin that you'd hardly know you were wearing one.

You will need a waterproof/windproof shell layer, it's up to the group to decide whether waterproofs are compulsery for the walking part but I don't think we can get round not having one to paddle in. I don't think any of us need to go to the expence of buying a dry cag (top half of a dry suit) as they are useless for anything other than paddling but it's very much worth having a gortex or even a thin pertex shell top....if you go in and it's cold you'll feel the wind very badly....even if you don't go in you will get splashed/soaked going down the white water and then the wind will chill you.... I stop short of demanding you wear a windproof top as it's not my place to order anyone to do anything but I'd say anyone not having one is very irrisponcible and quite unfair on the group who are going to have to look after you when you go down with hyperthermia....I've seen mild hyperthermia on a warm summers day in the UK just from being wet and out on a windy lake...it's a very very real danger!

Personaly I'll be in shorts but then I do almost year round anyway....even ice climb in shorts! But I will have a pair of lightweights with me. One change of cloths has got to be a must for a river trip even if it's sealed away and never used. Rather than taking heaps of other clothes I just take a small tube of bio-degradable washing goo and if my smalls need washing then I do it and hang them on trees or my canoe to dry....one or two tube the size of a finger would do the whole group for the three weeks.
As an adendum to my rant about windproofs above I'll be wearing my buffalo mountain shirt...it's great for walking in but ideal to paddle in as it's light, non restrictive, windproof and warm/insulating when wet.....hard to beat I think.....having said that a woolley jumper and a pertex shell would be pretty much as good.

Hope that's helpful.... :eek:):

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Excellent advice there I think all will agree. I was planning on getting a good windproof any and was actually looking at a Buffalo shirt only last week. It's now on the to get list.

James

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Good for you James, I can't say enough good things about them... I've had them for over 15 years now and am only on my second as some scally nicked my last one while I was teaching.

The one and only flaw in them is they are very suseptable to little holes caused by campfire sparks.....it's worth slipping a smock or something over them to keep them tip top by the fireside. :eek:):

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Are you talking about the buffalo jacket single layer system? Have looked at them several times but not actually tried them yet. For a basic windproof smock I've got one by Montane, very very effective and folds up small enough to fit in your pocket.

Wayne, woodmill is just down the road from me and I've done a couple of courses there a few years back, I'll contact them later today if I get time.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Nope, that's not exactly what I'm talking about....I'm talking about the DP layer Mountain shirt they do.

They do Jackets with Pertex6 and Trousers and hood and alsorts.

I have the original "Mountain shirt" and that's what I'm judging them on.....mine's black (which is hard to find) but they also do Green, Blue and Purple....my old one that was nicked was green.

Buffalo site is:

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/dpmain.htm

Piccy os the mountain shirt (in blue) is here:

http://moo.servicesports.co.uk/service/item/581

I've honestly not found anything to beat them..... One of the comments on there website (bear in mind it's advertising) is that the wicking is so good that the best way to dry them is by wearing them!!!!!

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
A little bit of topic but what about footware. Will my Brashers be suitable or will I need something different. I don't want to carry anything more then a spare pair of sandals and if possible avoid that was well. So one boot or shoe to do the lot.

What's our thoughts.

James

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
At the moment I'm sticking with my Meindle Burmas but I'll see how they last over the next year, they've lasted well so far and are definatley comfortable so don't think I'll be changing them unless they show signs of falling apart.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
It's not so relavant to me as if I can come it'll only be for half the trip.... :cry2:

If I was doing the rest I'd be going for a good walking boots (no point saying which as we all have our fav's).
Sandles for canoeing (I'd say Teva's are the best at staying on your feet while swimming) and maybe a very thin/light pair of wetboots (wet suit boots)...I have a pair that go so flat and small I can fit them in a smock pocket...

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Fergot about the sandles, need to get another pair as I managed total my current pair, but there really is nothing like taking off your boots and putting sandles on after a days walking.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Couldn't agree more....I used to be a big fan of "Reef" sandles but I find them no good for swimming as they slip off your toe.... I now wear Teva's and they are FAB!!!! I don't like the ones by other makes that are more like trainers with little bits cut out....Teva's are proper basic sandles!

Wettie boots of that type/quality are dead cheap....think I paid about £15 for mine at a canoe show years ago.... They are so much nicer than sandles if it's a bit nippy or even just windy although there's no issues wearing sandles if that's all ya got! :eek:):

This link has cheapish booties (try the sport boot or slipper thing looks ok) or just very cheap wetsuit socks...then wear your sandles over them!

http://www.surf-wax.co.uk/acatalog/Wetsuit_Boots.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE