Expedition summer 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers AH. Jugglers?! :wink:

I understand the difficulty of the journey, and belive me, i won't take it as a walk in the park. But i'll have a year previous to train...:biggthump

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Realised I'm first-naming everyone without introducing myself: I'm Chris :wave:
Jake, if you kicked up a fuss we'd trade you for meat, and then you'd be sentenced to a life of reindeer herding. Hardly the harshest sentence in the world! :rolmao:

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey...Thanks Chris, birthday was great (my 30th), spent the whole weekend in Amsterdam with the Mrs.....was hoping to soften her up to see if I could go away for three weeks......the outcome..... I can't!
No matter how I put it to her she did an amazing job of showing every single type of sulking known to man!!!!!!! :yikes: and that was just an 18 month away mention of it.

I can now safely say that I am about the most jealous person in the world as I watch you lot talking and planning all the fun you're going to have!!!!

But....you don't get rid of me that fast :nono: Oh no.....I offered you training for the canoeing and that's still an open offer..... we can talk details nearer the time but just coz I can't go doesn't mean I won't help you guys and gals get down the river safely.

Also....might it be possible to meet you for say the last 10 days or so rather than the whole trip? I might be able to get her in doors to agree to let me out for that long at least.....actually that's not fair, she'd let me do anything I want.....i just have to live with the consequences!!!!
Sorry to let you all down so soon but better to know now than a week before we go!!! :eek:):

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Ref fishing for Salmon. Telescopic rod,(easy to transport) and small fixed spool reel with an assortment of spinners would be about all you need. In The Book I'm reading at the moment 'Running with Reindeer' - Roger Took. The Russian Saami use this set up for Salmon. I've never caught Salmon using this method, but Lots of Pike which are also of course edible, so you could use the spinners for both. Any predator species will go for spinners or plugs including Perch also, and Bass if you're near the Sea. I've caught all of these on plugs and spinners, but not the Salmon but I would imagine if the Sammi use spinners and plugs for Salmon then it must work.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
you are probably right! but learning both techniques and adding them to you hunting/gathering arsenal can only increase your chances of gettin enough grub to keep you going on your expedition! :wave:

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Definately.... learning to fly fish would be a useful extra skill, but maybe spinning would cover more species and increase the likely hood of getting a meal. I've not heard of flies being taken by Pike or Perch as a reliable method for these species. (dosn't mean it's unheard of however) Fly fishing would be better for Salmon alone, but I would say spinning would let you target more species and is more practical and could be learnt in a few hours.
Just my opinion :wave:

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Sounds to me (and bear in mind I'm not able to go now) that Falling Rain has a good point, while Tomtom is right that it's best to expand your knowledge to give yourself more chances, maybe the middle of a Norwegein tour where you're relaying on what you catch to keep you going isn't the best place to be learning new skills....maybe Tomtom could do a little tutorial for us all and especially for those who are going?

For me....if it's not illegal (I'm sure Gerd will know) then I'd be using a gill net strung out between the stern's of two boats and left out long enough just to catch what we need.....(damn, I'm not going...."what they need").

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
yup.. yup.. i would have suggest a net to. but setting on isnt that easy IMO.. i can never get the dam things packed away in such a way that they are usable the next time you come to use them.. :eek:):

and i am with Falling rain here really.. spinning is probably the best way to go.. i simply wanted to suggest an alturnative.. hell maybe there will be room for two little fold down rods in those canoes of theirs! im sure Ahobo who hes been there and done it before will know the best methods anyhow!

as mr nessmuk says.. of all the outdoor pesuits flyfishing is one of the most widely writen about.. you can pick up a manual on Evil-BAY for a few squid!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've found Nets a dodle Tomtom.....dead easy to use once you get the hang of it.....do ya a deal, I'll show you how to use a net if you'll teach me how to fly fish? ? ? :eek:):

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
sounds like a deal to me!! :wink:

though i am not an expert by any strech of the imagination..

what size nets do you use.. the only types i have everused are big ones that we strung out at sea left over night and bought in, in the morning!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Yup I can fish ok and a light setup will not add much at all. If Gill nets are legal they'll defiantely be a bonus, other options to check into is eel nets and night lines. Back on the spinning front, wonder if it would work if a longish line with a lure was attached to the back of the canoe?? How many towns are there along the way to stock up on any supplies.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've certainly used that method while paddling round the Ilse of White.....three of use went round it (admittedly in Kayaks but the same applies to canoes) and used drag lines behind to spin for makrel etc.....had some limited sucsess....

Not sure on the legals for nets in Norway.....I know gill nets are a no-no over here but not sure if they count as such if strung between two boats....

Tomtom...pm on it's way to ya Mate. :lol:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Chris, just cos you've said that i'll bring along my bean bags instead :nana: :rolmao:

I've caught a fish or two, probabably just a fish though...:wink:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Sorry to hear that Phil. As for joining us midway, I'd recommend you leave us midway rather than join us. That way you get some of both parts of the trip.
Thank you very much for your offer of training :You_Rock_
As for where to leave, Nedre Soppero is near ish the beginning of the river, and has good connections with the world (could get a bus or train to Kiruna perhaps?).
Thanks all for the info on fishing. I'm about to buy that book you suggest falling rain, so I'll have a look :) I think spinning is better than fly fishing as there are many other species in the river too, and we just want all the food we can get, rather than being picky!
Gill nets did occur to me, and IMO they seem a good foolproof way of getting a large catch, which will be important. I'll see if I can find out whether they are legal.
I'll try to learn fly fishing too :roll: :lol:
Eel nets sound good to me, question is whether there are any eels there :?:
As regards towns, large towns along the way are Kilpisjärvi, Nedre Soppero, Antis, Pajala, Pello, Övertorneå & Ylitornio, then Tornio. There will naturally be other smaller ones but my map doesn't show them, and we can't necessarily rely on them for supplies.
multimap.com will show you a map of them :)
Speaking of maps, there is complete 1:100,000 coverage of the area, and in places larger scale. When I get some money together I'll buy them... in other words never :cry: :lol:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE