Expedition summer 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Looks like a team is building up. Well my have has given the OK (save something huge happening in the mean time) I am definate. :pack: :)

James

PS my mam says I can go as well. :biggthump

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
End of July to end of August looks like the most likely time period (salmon season & should hopefully avoid the worst of the spring/summer floods while remaining warm enough).
Good to have an OK from you Raz and a definite from you James :biggthump

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Good question. I think we will find it surprisingly warm, and relatively free of rain as we shall mostly be far inland. Around Tromsø the weather will be warmer and wetter. Summer is short, and we'll have a full midnight sun, as we'll be north of the arctic circle the whole time. However I'd be surprised if we get too cold. From experience I'd recommend packing for a British winter but catering for a British summer too - it can get very chilly at night, as you can't escape the effects of being so far north.
That's just what I know - but then I have only spent one expedition north of the arctic circle in summer - maybe Abbe can help us out as he lives near where we are going :)

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
When i was up that way in the summer it was t shirt a weather. I even went swimming in the lakes forgetting hold cold they remain.

I have spoken to Val and looks like i'm a firm favourite to be there. i will need to keep the costs within reasonable limits though. Hopefully no more than £2000 a head anymore than that and i will need to be there permanently, as Val will kick me out.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
What will we be paying for though...surely a flight to norway couldn't be £2000 :?:

If so, we could catch a boat and make an extra day each side to cater for it!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Jake Tromso isnt five minutes in the car from Oslo.

We need to buy or hire the canoes then theres bouyancy aids etc. Food and other personal kit. Last time i checked the flight to Kiruna was about £500 i expect it won't be much cheaper to Tromso. Thats just for starters nothing has yet been planned and costed. i think you will find £2000 will not be too far from the mark.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Well one bit of good news is that a flight from London - Oslo is £50 (BA) and Oslo - Tromsø is £25 (Braathens)...
But from Kemi (Tornio) - Helsinki - London it's £770 :cry: A lot a lot.
Buoyancy aids I'm making compulsory for the trip, a good one is no more than say £30. Your own kit I leave to you, but I expect you'll all need more things.
The canoes are about £900 each, I haven't yet looked into hiring but I guess you will not want to buy half a canoe! (we share two man canoes).
Prices go up and up... :roll:
I've a map of the expedition if anyone knows how I can post an image :?:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
arctic hobo said:
Well one bit of good news is that a flight from London - Oslo is £50 (BA) and Oslo - Tromsø is £25 (Braathens)...
But from Kemi (Tornio) - Helsinki - London it's £770 :cry: A lot a lot.
Buoyancy aids I'm making compulsory for the trip, a good one is no more than say £30. Your own kit I leave to you, but I expect you'll all need more things.
The canoes are about £900 each, I haven't yet looked into hiring but I guess you will not want to buy half a canoe! (we share two man canoes).
Prices go up and up... :roll:
I've a map of the expedition if anyone knows how I can post an image :?:
www.imageshack.us
Easy. :wink:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Here's that map, sorry it's so big:

map4sy.jpg

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
A couple of weeks ago I saw a video taped from Danish Television (long time ago) with a story of some 6 or 8 danes who build a biiig canoe with space for everyone. It was build in two parts and assembled on site, when they paddled the length of Torneälven.

Getting fishing permits will be easy compared to possible hunting permits (hunting permits are usually easy to get, but there are special rules in Finnmark for foreigners, limiting their access to hunting permits) and possible export / import permits for firearms if you are going to do some hunting (Finland being the only country allowing bowhunting, and taking guns across the borders outside official border posts might not be a good idea...).
Small game season starts in september (a few species in late august). Seasons etc should be listed on this site http://www.naturforvaltning.no/ - there are English translations too.
You can download a brochure on the general hunting regulations in pdf format here: http://english.dirnat.no/archive/attachments/01/38/Jakti065.pdf
The brochure is in both Norwegian, English and German.

Renting a canoe may also be a problem as the route will take you across the border to another country... (not all outlets will allow that).

You sure have lots of planning to do, and if there is anything that I can help with then let me know, and I'll try to do my best.

I can recommend the Ally canoes a lot :biggthump I have used my 16,5' DR in both Norway, Denmark, Swaziland and South Africa. Pretty stiff prices, but worth the money (and you will never have storage problems :eek:): ). Best expedition canoe there is :biggthump

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
The map puts things in prespective and it seems like a jolly little trip. Cost wise I was thinking in and around 2-3K myself but having to buy the canoes might make things a little dearer.

I have done some salomn fishing in the past and it wouldn't take much to brush up the skills again.

The local knownlodge is what we need and someone on the ground would be a lot of help in my opinion. :You_Rock_

Summer & winter kit I'll pack for Autnum then :rolmao: A couple of threads in the Kit section should answer does question.

James

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Wayne, i guess your right!

Thinking about it £2000 for such a trip doesn't seem like all that much....

And it does look like a spectacular journey.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Thanks for the comments :biggthump
Tvividr, that's a lot of help. Thanks a lot! :You_Rock_
I shall look into these things.
James, www.lainio.com has a lot about fishing - in fact there are many sites with info on salmon fishing in the area if that's a help. I don't know much about it to be honest :yikes: something to learn before we go.
Wayne, I was thinking of perhaps getting a lift (quick charter) out to the island you see at the very north, which is where the journey is supposed to begin. From there, we will have to hope for the best!
It should not be too bad, as in the real story, the trip was made in winter, and some was swimming, some in a small open boat. If it gets too bad, we will always be near a coast and one of the larger fjord crossings at least has a bridge we could use as a last resort.
I suggest we spend perhaps a couple of days in Tromsø - it is a lovely city (pop. only 56k) , and we can prepare and get to know each other and the area. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE