Expedition summer 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I can smell the Salmon cooking already.

One question can a non-BCUK member come along? Just in case anyone here is interested. Plus how big a group are you talking/thinking about?

James

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
:chill: <<< us :eek:):

Sure, but whoever it is must bear in mind it'll be rather bushcrafty and no holiday :biggthump
As to numbers, I'm not sure - not anything crazy like 30, but there's no real limit but the food we can get and sheer logistics of getting people there and not losing them while there. Also, I don't expect that many to have both interest and money! :naughty:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Just for interest here's a pic of Lyngen fjord... imagine paddling along here (which we will be)

kjosen_1.jpg

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
It seems to good to be true! I think a reletively small group will be much less of a struggle.

That picture is gonna make everyone want to go!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
rightie hoo, just spoken to SWMBO and I'm "allowed" to go as long as shes invited as well, so if theres room for 2 more :D I can fish and I've some Kayaking experience. Tvivdr do you know if Gill Nets are allowed there?

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Just done a quick search on STA Travel and a return flight from Kemi-Helsinki-Heathrow is £422, couldn't do a single fair but I'll try and find out.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Looks like there is growing interest. It should be fun.

I will have completed my Wilderness first aid and Stuart is qualified so thats covered can anyone think of any skills that needs attending to apart from the canoeing?

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I have extensive marine first aid as I am a part time sailing senior instructor. If Phil can come along, he can cover the canoe-genius post. I'm wondering if bringing a small kayak as an emergency/scouting type vehicle might be a good idea... trouble is it'd be a nightmare to transport for the first part.
Fishing is perhaps an important skill, and hunting we need to look into, as those will be our food sources!
The second half will be on the Sweden/Finland border, meaning that we could bowhunt under licence on one bank of the river. This is complicated, and if any of you are good with a bow (I'm awful), I'd be grateful if you'd look into it.
As for the first half, I believe that with licence we can hunt game with a .30 or so calibre rifle - I am not clear on the laws here and I will research them. However as Gerd says, we may be breaking the law and experience difficulties later because of taking a gun across the border outside border controls.
The fishing I leave to you fishermen, as I am afraid it is quite a mystery to me. :?: However there are many good websites with information: www.lainio.com is good.
I think that's all the skill we need! Excepting skinning, gutting, fire starting, etc etc... but we're all bushcrafters :biggthump :super:

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
willie said:
comedian :p

(cant spell )

Perfect spelling there willie!

AH...this sounds awesome...im not sure what i could bring to it in that context, but im sure i'll think of something!

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Comedians, musicians... they're good too. :)
Hate to patronise but can I just remind everyone that this might be very arduous indeed. The first part might suffer terrible weather making our crossings difficult, and the walking miserable. It will be very hard walking as it is because we must carry the canoes as well as all our kit for a long way. The river trip itself will have many rapids, and some falls. From the canoeing I have done I know it is hard to tell between a fall and a weir or rapid, especially as you cannot see being so low to the water. Both are bad news - and one is very easily fatal. And there may be scarce food, and very poor weather to camp in.
The doom-prophecying over, I think it will be the trip of a lifetime :eek:): Back to business. Jake you asked about numbers. Well:
Myself, a small small chance of one of my friends, you (Jake), Wayne, Wayne's Mrs?, James Devine, hopefully Phil (Bambodoggy, happy birthday by the way), similarly unsure Raz and his Mrs, Stuart, Lithril and his Mrs, and maybe Andy. That's maximum 13, minimum 7. Odd numbers :shock: Who's up for a lonely canoe? :lol:
There's a chance we'll meet Abbe along the way too, I've spoken to him about it and he'd like to meet up for a night's camp, but he lives a fair way away from our river :sadwavey:
Thanks for that flight info Lithril - better than £700 but still a lot. Good to have you interested. I have found that a return ticket to Oslo (only £100) is compulsory with BA (no singles are allowed), and so it might be cheaper to go from Kemi to Oslo, using up the otherwise empty seats on the return. Or failing that a train to Oslo or to a Swedish airport then to Oslo.
Gill nets occured to me too - it'd be a lot easier than messing about with flies (I've just damned myself in the eyes of all fishermen I'm sure :naughty: :lol: ).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE