Exotic food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
No mouldy cheese for me.

(But I did try some of that 10 year matured stuff at the French market. My socks were knocked off and my leg hairs went white.)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
But what do we mean by `Exotic` food, exactly??

`Strange stuff that furren folk eat`?

`Stuff thats hard to find?`

`Stuff that has an interesting reputation`?

`Local delicacies that are not exported`?

`Local delicacies that are exported so much, they are hard to find in their localities`?

`Odd stuff that the shop gets in on odd occaisions, only for them not to sell because they are strange`?

`Wild food that took you ages to find`?

`Stuff that sells out so quick you cant get it`?

`Overrated stuff`?

`Stuff thats hard to cook or prepare right?`?

Exotic food = not what people normally eat in the western world.
Sure, it can also be what you find exotic! Or interesting!
So a quite wide meaning!

Of course, a person of the Jewish or Muslim background think pork is exotic, and it would be interesting to read what they think of it!

Very few of the items mentioned so far would qualify as exotic then. True, I've never eaten reindeer brains but hog brains are a common item here. Especially scrambled with eggs. Roasted ants are common cinema snacks in parts of South America (that is indeed part of the Western world) Rattlesnake is extremely common in the Southwest (usually fried or in chili) Almost all wild game is common. Rheas and ostrich were the subject of farming for a while and the meat wasn't UN-common." Alligator is quite common here as well, as is all seafood. Crawfish season is just around the corner along the Gulf Coast.

AdeInTokyo

Feb 13, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
After 10 + years in Asia I have eaten some weird things. Japan loves raw anything.
Thailand sells lots of insects.
The worst thing I ate (personally) was balut. For the unknowing. Balut is a boiled egg that was just about to hatch. Imagine eggy duck with the texture of shrimp with their shells.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Had crocodile and gator which i enjoyed but too expensive compared to tastier meats to be a regular, crickets and meal-worms were not too bad left an after taste similar to pistachios, looking back on life the most disgusting things i have eaten have to have been the forecourt sandwiches when i worked in a 24hr petrol station in my youth and tins of corned beef from my childhood

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I eat lots of weird stuff - have you seen my wife's cooking?
Seriously now, in the past I have tried
Snake,Fried insects, worms, spiders, woodlice etc but the worst was Durian fruit - it is said to be the best fruit in the world once you get past the smell - but to me it tasted of its smell!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, that would come high on the list.

But heres an exotic food story.

My mother was visited by one of her wealthy friends, who would always bring her a gift, small, seemingly humble, but one that she knew would have a lot of thought put into it, and be hard to find...A gift worth recieving.

Anyhow, this was a punnet of strawberries

In january, in the years before they were flown in. (this would have been about 30 odd years ago.)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
My mum told the story of her dad coming home from The War with a banana. Fruit of any kind being rare at that time, she immediately started eating it.

Shame he hadn't told her to peel it first.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Well, having read about how crubeens or pigs trotters were such a delicacy, a couple of years ago I asked my friendly local butcher if he could get some. He raised his eyebrows, and said yes. Two cost 38 pence.
So I soaked them in brine for a day.
Then splinted them with a wooden spoon and cooked them, left them to cool.
Split and rolled in breadcrumbs, grilled with a light allspice dressing.
Come dinner time my wife said "this is the most disgusting thing you have ever made, its bloody awful, dont ever do it again". And she was right !
Not so exotic I know, but funny.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....I like Pigs Trotters made into Brawn ( US Headcheese I believe).....

Trotters would be one of the ingredients. Head Cheese is basically all of the unused pork trimmings chopped and made into a loaf with aspic.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well, having read about how crubeens or pigs trotters were such a delicacy, a couple of years ago I asked my friendly local butcher if he could get some. He raised his eyebrows, and said yes. Two cost 38 pence.
So I soaked them in brine for a day.
Then splinted them with a wooden spoon and cooked them, left them to cool.
Split and rolled in breadcrumbs, grilled with a light allspice dressing.
Come dinner time my wife said "this is the most disgusting thing you have ever made, its bloody awful, dont ever do it again". And she was right !
Not so exotic I know, but funny.

Fry her a batch of chitterlings (pronounced "chit-lins")

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Depends on the receipe, or from which country it comes from.
My Czech version has a pigs head only or pigs trotters and meat mixed.
My German version also contain the tongue.
I do not have an US version. But would love to try one!

Another oldfashioned Czech way to eat trotters, porks knee, and/or head is "Ovar", which are basically just boiled, eaten with Rye bread, mustard and a horseradish-apple mix.

Delicious.

I personally do not find chitterlings tasty.

I suppose with a bit of research we could find a "recipe" for the US version but I think it would be a bit off the norm. What I mean is that since our version uses the trimmings, it's unlikely that any two batches will be the same. Hope that makes sense.

I'm not overly fond of chitterlings either.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I suppose with a bit of research we could find a "recipe" for the US version but I think it would be a bit off the norm. What I mean is that since our version uses the trimmings, it's unlikely that any two batches will be the same. Hope that makes sense.

I'm not overly fond of chitterlings either

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
No thank you.

(Im not fussed on chittling either, despite my butchers enthuisiam for them.)

Could we quantify `Exotic` as `not found in the supermarket?`

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No thank you.

(Im not fussed on chittling either, despite my butchers enthuisiam for them.)

Could we quantify `Exotic` as `not found in the supermarket?`

Chitterlings (usually frozen) hog brains (usually canned) pig's feet (usually pickle) head cheese (packed as deli meat) beef tongue (fresh or frozen) chicken livers, and many more are all found in our supermarkets. Even chicken feet (the actual claws) can be found in some supermarkets here (Piggly Wiggly www.pigglywiggly.com and others)

Many of the foods you consider normal can't be found here in supermarkets though. Lambs kidneys for example. So steak & kidney pie would be considered exotic here; as would haggis.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE