Exotic food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Rattlesnake is quite tasty albeit a bit bony :)

Alligator does indeed taste a bit like chicken

Ostrich is delicious, I'd like to buy an ostrich egg and cook it in an epic mountain man breakfast :cool:

Honey coated crickets... nice and crispy crunchy but no real taste apart from honey

Zebra steak is extremely tasty

American bison that's better than beef steak

Fresh caught lobster 30 minutes from the sea to the plate was amazing

Oyster... rubbery

That's about it for me :D

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'd like to buy an ostrich egg and cook it in an epic mountain man breakfast

Saw a cooking show once where the chef boiled a ostrich egg for a center piece....for hard boiled (based on weight) he worked it out at 45 minutes cooking time
That would be an epic fry-up indeed!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The past 15 years of bison has kind of spoiled me for much else.
Wild (Merriam's) turkey is heavenly.
Alligator is a little porky but I enjoyed all of it.
Local Canada geese and ducks are OK for what they are, not gamey tasting but a bit liverish ( I like liver.)
Llama, porcupine, beaver and ostrich were disappointments. Distinct tastes that I didn't care for.
Lynx & cougar are OK but I wouldn't ask for seconds.
The more Ruffed and Dusky grouse that I can knock down in a 10 week season, the better I like it.
HA! Wine-braised bison for supper tonight.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
But what do we mean by `Exotic` food, exactly??

`Strange stuff that furren folk eat`?

`Stuff thats hard to find?`

`Stuff that has an interesting reputation`?

`Local delicacies that are not exported`?

`Local delicacies that are exported so much, they are hard to find in their localities`?

`Odd stuff that the shop gets in on odd occaisions, only for them not to sell because they are strange`?

`Wild food that took you ages to find`?

`Stuff that sells out so quick you cant get it`?

`Overrated stuff`?

`Stuff thats hard to cook or prepare right?`?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I reported on a mix of meats in Post7. Some are hardly exotic but maybe unusual, as opposed to common, is a better word, not much of which would be easily found in a city.
Same with fruits and vegetables. I was told in the village grocery store that I'm the only person in the village who eats Prickly Pear fruit. That's their loss.
Some foods are heavenly, some are revolting like properly prepared Vietnamese fish sauce.
I have been a bird hunter for more than 50 years. If it flies, it dies. At the very least I know what happened between sky and plate.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Whilst in Africa I had a variety of deer type, Kudu, Impala, Gemsbok, then there was Crocodile, and Mopane worms, best marinated and bbq lol There was a restaurant just outside Randburg iirc called the carnival, served just about any meat you could name.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Jelly coconuts in the South Pacific - very refreshing and fulfilling.
Taro slices and taro tops cooked with chicken and pork in an umu, in the South Pacific, not bad for starchy veg nd the meat was good.
Kangaroo steak in Oz, very good.
Crocodile tail in Oz, not impressed.
Camel steak in Oz, could take it or leave it.
Horse steak in France, very good indeed.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
This is absurd!

Just animals! Meat is meat! its all edible and provided its fresh and you cook it properly, wont hurt you!

Many plants are inedible, and some will kill you!

All taste funny!

(The delicacy that the poor Greengrocer couldnt shift was purple carrots; marked down to 20p a bunch. I ate a lot of carrots that week; they tasted....carroty and once were in my mouth I didnt worry about the colour, as if I ever had.)

most unusual?! fast food from mc Donald's-- you never know what's in it.......

but I also had ants, bush coconuts- YUMMY!-, witchetties, snakes- yum-yum!-, turtles ( fresh water and saltwater), dugong, camel (sausages), various deer, wallaby, kangaroo, possum....... just the usual stuff you come accross when travelling.....:rolleyes:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
QUOTE=Tengu;1730577]This is absurd!

Just animals! Meat is meat! its all edible and provided its fresh and you cook it properly, wont hurt you!

Many plants are inedible, and some will kill you!

All taste funny!

(The delicacy that the poor Greengrocer couldnt shift was purple carrots; marked down to 20p a bunch. I ate a lot of carrots that week; they tasted....carroty and once were in my mouth I didnt worry about the colour, as if I ever had.)[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE