Compact emergency food supply.

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
No, this is an emergency pack, If I get delayed I will have 48 hours worth of food.

So far;

Big block marzipan (nourishing, storable, easy to eat, tradable, fun).
salami sticks
dried fruit
oatcakes
choc bars
horlicks/tea/hot choc
cheese
isotonic gel

If you are diabetic (?) then a few of those whilst tasty should be discounted
 
  • Like
Reactions: Toddy
I am a fan of dried sausage. Also, big tortillas for making impromptu burritos/quesadillas ... but if it is just no-cook, 'waiting-for-the-boat' food, I'd take a big bag of almonds and raisins and half a dozen cliff bars, big bag of crackers and a jar of PB. Some dried apricots. Cuppa-soups, hot chocolate sachets
 
Last edited:
Vacuum packed, home made, all-butter flapjack with mixed dried fruit and a few chopped glace cherries in it :)

Lasts ages and is truly delicious.

I strongly recommend making several differing slabs well in advance so you can experiment to find your preferred additives to the recipe (I like chopped dates and choc-chips as well as the dried fruit ;) )
 
  • Like
Reactions: plastic-ninja
@mrmike and @Tengu (in another thread) have suggested fruit/Dundee cake. I was serious in my suggestion of pork pie.

We are talking keeping going, not lifestyle so a tin of Dundee cake and suet pastry pork pie would do it for me.
 
Plus one for vacpacked flapjacks. Homemade with lots of fruit & nuts. They are so high in sugar that they keep for months this way. Another bonus is you can break them up for porage & just add warm milk. I’d add some fruit leather as well, for chewing on now and then.
 
No, this is an emergency pack, If I get delayed I will have 48 hours worth of food.

So far;

Big block marzipan (nourishing, storable, easy to eat, tradable, fun).
salami sticks
dried fruit
oatcakes
choc bars
horlicks/tea/hot choc
cheese
isotonic gel
I think you've nailed it with salami and oatcakes! Go for air-dried salami, in a whole stick, Lidl sell some pretty decent stuff if you go to their cold meats section where they keep them. Italian, or the French saucisson sec. Throw in some hard cheese like a mature pecorino or parmesan. It's pretty easy to pack 3-4k kcal with those, which should keep you going for a day or two. The only problem will be refraining from just having it!

More good stuff as backup; tinned fish in oil. Mackerel fillets in olive oil from Lidl are brilliant, and they pack easily 600kcal per tiny can if you are prepared to mash the fish and eat it WITH the oil. 4 of those a day and you are punching through walls. As it can be boring or a bit 'too much' on its own, this is also a better option if you have issues refraining from just eating your emergency supply if it's too appetising!

Fast acting sugars like chocolate are OK just in case you need extra oomph, but be prepared for the subsequent crash once the sugar wears off and you are loaded with spare insulin that stays in your system long after the sugar, so avoid sugar in general unless you really need to go on overdrive, and have enough to maintain you for that activity without crashing.

If I go on longer walks, I actually go on what's called a 'keto' diet. It doesn't work well in very strenuous activity as you can't produce the same level of power as you could on a normal diet, but it's great for mild- and medium stuff. You'll drop like a fly if you need to sprint for any serious distance, but it will keep you going for days if you are just walking. It really reduces your food weight and volume as fats are extremely energy-dense. Have you ever tried / heard of it? Cheese, nuts, salami, jerky, mayo, egg powder, double cream, SPAM, corned beef, cans of fish in oil, air-dried seasoned continental sausages if you can get them (I make them), these are all staples for those walks. It sounds overwhelming and it's not for everyone, but I love the stuff.
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE